E-Bay bans the sale of black metal records

Bushmeister

Paula Hogan of MANIC Music & Distribution and Candlelight Records USA has contacted BLABBERMOUTH.NET to report that "eBay is [allegedly] currently starting a ban on black/extreme metal. A few of our vendors who have sizeable eBay stores are now finding their items pulled down by eBay directly. The list we have compiled so far that have been pulled for sale via any eBay stores or auctions is noted below. I'm sure there are more."

Added Dan Ferguson of Indianapolis, IN's Abyss Records: "I had a number of items removed and account suspended by selling black metal. It seems a group of so-called Christians have been reporting black metal bands (even though eBay has black metal as a search genre) as all racist and hateful and discriminatory."

The items that were allegedly removed by eBay because they "violated the eBay Hateful or Discriminatory policy" are as follows:

BURZUM - Complete 6 LP SET

EMPEROR - IX Equilibrium ORIG. LP

WOTANORDEN - From The.. CD

BURZUM - s/t / Aske DOUBLE LP

1349 - Beyond The CD

DARKTHRONE - Panzerfaust CD

MAYHEM - Collection 4 LP SET

PANTHEON - Krihapentswor CD

DARKTHRONE - Total Death CD

BURZUM - Draugen CD DVD

BURZUM - Daudi Baldrs LP

BURZUM - Daudi Baldrs CD

ZYKLON B - Blood Must Be Shed CD

ARMAGGEDON - Imperium CD

EMPEROR - Demo LP

1349 - Hellfire DOUBLE LP

DARKTHRONE - Hate Them CD

BURZUM - Filosofem DOUBLE LP

BURZUM - Hlidskjalf LP

BURZUM - Det Som Engang Var DIGI CD

CAMULOS / AINSHVAL - Split CD

BURZUM - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss LP

BURZUM - Det Som Engang Var LP

NOKTURNAL MORTUM - Weltanschauung CD

SATYRICON - Now, Diabolical CD

In eBay's e-mail to Ferguson explaining their decision to remove his listing, they write, "eBay doesn't permit sellers to list items that promote or glorify hatred, violence, or racial intolerance. Items that promote organizations with such views are also prohibited.

"eBay will judiciously disallow listings or items that promote or glorify hatred, violence or racial intolerance, or items that promote organizations (such as Nazis, neo-Nazis and Aryan Nation) with such views. This policy also applies to listings that offer shipping to countries where certain items may be illegal."

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's his opinion, he can say whatever he wants. Way this place works, apparantly.

As a side note, 1349 have been stopped from playing here in Birmingham, due to 'being Nazis' or something like that, so they're not playing the Zyklon tour gig. Looks like I won't be going then. One band isn't good enough >_>

Apparently I was only joking about it being shit, I have just been informed by my girlfriend that I have to think Black metal is awesome.

I retract my statement.

Next will they be banning anything that glorifies alcohol and drugs? If so, say goodbye to Rock 'n Roll.

Edited by Myked

You are WEAK, Myked, for letting a mere female decide for you! The black metal community has no needs for those that have forsaken the roots of the Allfather for the sake of simple Earthen pleasures provided by the weaker sex!

I mean, uh, black metal does not promote segregation or any other sort of discrimination at all :shifty:

For my own interests I decided to look for G.G. Allin, Skrewdriver, and The Mentors on e-bay. I found items for all three, and it seems hypocritical that they are not banned, yet. While I love all three groups, two of them advocated violence and rape against women, while the other had a lead singer that was a staunch neo-nazi.

For my own interests I decided to look for G.G. Allin, Skrewdriver, and The Mentors on e-bay. I found items for all three, and it seems hypocritical that they are not banned, yet. While I love all three groups, two of them advocated violence and rape against women, while the other had a lead singer that was a staunch neo-nazi.

That's true, the bands I mentioned are dead entities (literally, all three lead singers in each band are dead) except for those who still like the underground punk/metal (Mentors being the metal). The conservative folks probably look at punk and laugh it off as mohican anarchist music, but not necesarily a threat to their religious ideals.

Though the Mentors did come under scrutiny during the mid-80s when Tipper Gore came down hard on the musical industry, advocating censorship. This is the same trial that involved Jello Biafra, Frank Zappa, and Dee Snyder.