E-Bay bans the sale of black metal records

Bushmeister

When I get to work tonight I'll see if I know anyone who works in the Banned Items department and try to figure out if this is true or not.

Seems rather ridiculous that they'd remove these items because someone complained about them, when we get complaints about things being on the site all the time, and they go unheard.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, I'll let Wikipedia list the musical aspects:

* A distinct "rasped" vocal style, a very guttural rasp, which is reminiscent of a torture. This is basically standard in every black metal, though there are exceptions, such as Primordial, who are still classed black metal without the rasp vocal. Some bands, particularly symphonic black metal bands, incorporate clean vocals, usually of a male choir sound, though this is used for atmospheric purposes.

* Fast guitars with tremolo picking

* Fast, repetitive, aggressive drums, often with blast beats. At other times, the drums can take a slower role usually accompanied by a very dry and empty tone—especially for the effect of the atmosphere of the music. On occasion, some groups such as Burzum and Xasthur will dispense with drums altogether in certain song segments.

* Standard tuned guitars (In contrast to death metal which is typically dropped D and down-tuned.)

* Relatively thin guitar sound or relatively thick guitar sound—usually not in the middle.

* Limited production used intentionally as a statement against mainstream music and/or to reflect the mood of the music by creating a certain atmosphere. This 'underproduced' effect is often achieved by cutting out low and high frequencies, leaving just the mid frequency range. It is often said that this was due to a low budget, but this often wasn't the case. This production style is often considered an essential element of "true" black metal.

Edited by Bushmeister

This has nothing to do with anti-Christianity or Paganism, it's all about anti-Semitism. The founder of eBay has a staunch and not always consistant stance on such issues. I could not sell German historical models on eBay regardless of Nazi symbols or not. It was verboten.

I don't necessarily like it nor agree with it as I think it gives the true hatemongers more power and glamorizes them as anti-authority rebels, but it's his ballpark and you have to play by his rules or find somewhere else to conduct business.

Whether you like black metal or not, this is ridiculous. Couldn't I, in theory, complain to eBay that they can't sell anything Christian-related because their message glorifies the hatred of my lord, Satan? I find it greatly offensive that they disrespect my religious beliefs...

And racial hatred? Couldn't we then complain that we can't sell any movies starring Mel Gibson? I mean, we all know he hates the Jews, even if he doesn't mention it in Lethal Weapon, I can't stand the idea of anything with him in being sold on eBay!

Seriously, I know I'm exaggerating, but where does it stop?

This has nothing to do with anti-Christianity or Paganism, it's all about anti-Semitism. The founder of eBay has a staunch and not always consistant stance on such issues. I could not sell German historical models on eBay regardless of Nazi symbols or not. It was verboten.

I don't necessarily like it nor agree with it as I think it gives the true hatemongers more power and glamorizes them as anti-authority rebels, but it's his ballpark and you have to play by his rules or find somewhere else to conduct business.

Dark Funeral for sure, it is pretty much like Marduk but without "Dreams Of Blood And Iron" and "Plague Angel". Monotone brutality if you enjoy it :P

By far a better bet is Naglfar, then. Try "Pariah" or "Sheol" as far as albums go.

If you want some different Swedish black metal, hit up with Abruptum. But beware, this is TR00 KVLT EVIL-stuff, so lot of dark ambience and faux-pas Latin in here.

If you want black metal that sounds like Marduk but isn't Swedish, try 1349, Asmodeus or Thornspawn and see if you like them.

So I did some asking around, and what happened is this: Someone reported these listings to eBay's Banned Items department, and the person who got the report took action on it by removing the listings and whatnot. This is not necessarily an eBay-wide policy as of now, and is in fact the action of one, or a few, members of the eBay Banned Items Team.

If they continue removing stuff like this, then I'd suggest writing in to eBay with your complaints about the situation... however, as of right now, despite the fact that a lot of Burzum CDs have been removed, I can confirm that there are plenty still on the site.

If it keeps happening, write in. I know I will if I hear more about this crap happening, because this is not directly related to anything to do with the Banned Policy on Hate Items.

and for the record... Bodom fucking rock my socks.

Dark Funeral for sure, it is pretty much like Marduk but without "Dreams Of Blood And Iron" and "Plague Angel". Monotone brutality if you enjoy it :P

By far a better bet is Naglfar, then. Try "Pariah" or "Sheol" as far as albums go.

If you want some different Swedish black metal, hit up with Abruptum. But beware, this is TR00 KVLT EVIL-stuff, so lot of dark ambience and faux-pas Latin in here.

If you want black metal that sounds like Marduk but isn't Swedish, try 1349, Asmodeus or Thornspawn and see if you like them.

I don't really give a shit about what country they're from, as long as it's good music I'll take it.

And damshow, any particular album by Rotting Christ you want to recommend?

Non Serviam, I'd rank it up there with not just the best black metal albums but the best metal albums. It's fantastic.

Also, are there any Londoners going to the Satyricon show in Islington tonight besides myself?

I told some chick that was my name once.

"What's your name?"

"I AM THE BLACK WIZARDS!"

A crowning achievement in my life.

:lmao: Class.

On topic, this, like most other people have said, is BS. Where does it stop is right...

Anyone else stoked for Dimmu's upcoming CD? They are hands down my favorite band so I am UBER-stoked for them and Cradle.

And I'm surprised Dissection hasn't been mentioned yet either.