What music are you listening to?

Benji

200px-Insomnia_hedpe.jpg

(hed) p.e. - INSOMNIA

So they do happen to be my most favourite band ever, but still, I must say, this album is fucking awesome. It goes from rap to metal to hip hop to punk all within a couple songs, and actually sticks to a bit of a message... it's amazing :crying:. Jahred (the vocalist) can sing, yell, scream and rap like a motherfucker. It also features Daddy X and Johnny Richter of the Kottonmouth Kings, Big B, Tech N9ne and Roscoe. Best tracks are "Walk On By", "Atlantis A.D.", "Game Over", "Tienanman Squared", and their cover of Buffalo Springfield's "For What It's Worth" known as "Children" (y'know, that 'STOP, CHILDREN, WHAT'S THAT SOUND, EVERYBODY LOOK WHAT'S GOING DOWN' song. :shifty: )

Do yourself a favour and check it out. 10/10.

Alter Bridge - One Day Remains

Favourite tracks: Find The Real, Down To My Last, Metalingus, In Loving Memory, One Day Remains.

Metallica - Load

Favourite tracks: King Nothing..That's it lol.

Saliva - Blood Stained Love Story

Favourite tracks: Ladies and Gentleman, One Last Chance, Broken Sunday, King of the Stereo, Going Under, Starting Over.

Fall Out Boy

Infinity on High

7/10

Fall Out Boy have a knack for pop music. There are moments of pop brilliance on their latest album, but lots of instances of ... well, mediocrity. One listen to The Take's Over, The Break's Over makes you question why they are even called emo. Than when you hear This Ain't A Scene, you kinda wonder when these guys ever got backed into the corner of being called emo. The guyliner on super stud Pete Wentz is the only thing resembling emo. Fall Out Boy's got staying power, if only because they are willingly to be called emo and not ever really be emo.

Bloc Party - Another Weekend in the City - 7/10

This isn't an official BP album, but it collects all of the bonus tracks from their last album, A Weekend in the City, and the consensus is that at least a couple of these could've made the full album cut easily. "Cain Said to Abel", "The Once and Future King", and "Rhododendron" especially strike me as like this, and even strike me as better than most of Weekend's tracks. So go download buy 11 different copies of A Weekend in the City and enjoy the endings. :)

This isn't an official BP album, but it collects all of the bonus tracks from their last album, A Weekend in the City, and the consensus is that at least a couple of these could've made the full album cut easily. "Cain Said to Abel", "The Once and Future King", and "Rhododendron" especially strike me as like this, and even strike me as better than most of Weekend's tracks. So go download buy 11 different copies of A Weekend in the City and enjoy the endings. :)

Edited by YI

Yeah, I've been giving this a listen recently. And I believe it's the b-sides off the singles, not the 'bonus tracks'. Shame on you for not mentioning "The Once And Future King". It's a fucking immense song. There's some great songs, but I think that's the only one that's better than some of the album tracks. The actual album is brilliant.

Yeah, I've been giving this a listen recently. And I believe it's the b-sides off the singles, not the 'bonus tracks'. Shame on you for not mentioning "The Once And Future King". It's a fucking immense song. There's some great songs, but I think that's the only one that's better than some of the album tracks. The actual album is brilliant.

Garbage - Absolute Garbage - 7.5/10

Ah, great memories. I remember growing up in the late 90s with Garbage playing on the radio, et al. I think I really became a huge fan around the "Push It" era stuff, but anyways, this is a mighty fine greatest hits collection. It has my two faves from them on it ("Only Happy When It Rains" and "Stupid Girl") and covers through all the major singles nicely. I did wish "Temptation Waits" was on there, but that's a gripe. If you were even a casual fan of Garbage, I can't imagine you'll be disappointed in any way whatsoever. Hell, it's probably worth buying for "Only Happy", "Stupid Girl", "Push It", and "I Think I'm Paranoid".

Last night I listened to:

Doctor Butcher - Doctor Butcher (10/10)

Joe Satriani - Not of this Earth (7/10)

The Cult - Sonic Temple (8/10)

The Cult - Beyond Good and Evil (8/10)

Blaze - Tenth Dimension (9/10)

All of them good, but Doctor Butcher is awesome.

Nirvana

MTV Unplugged in New York

10/10

When I listen to this CD, I think about what a fucking waste. Not about Kurt Cobain killing himself. Not about the tragedy of drugs. I think its a fucking waste he spent his days working on loud, grunge music, when Kurt Cobain sounded his best and most brilliant when he was stripped down to his core. I can be hard pressed to find anything more real recorded by an artist. Everything Kurt emotes in this song, the audience feels because this isn't some guy making a buck. Its a poor junkie recording one of the most stripped down albums of all time.

The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour (6/10)

It's not a bad album, but for a Beatles record with Penny Lane, All You Need is Love, Strawberry Fiels and Hello Goodbye it's a shame I don't want to listen to it more. I guess it's just that everything else on the CD really sounds like shit to me (The Fool on the Hill being the only exception.).

Kelly Clarkson

My December

7.5/10

Clarkson told the world (and I'm paraphrasing) that people didn't like her new CD because they aren't willingly to accept a strong empowered female who doesn't need the help of a male. I totally agree. This isn't like her last CD... Clarkson isn't going for hooks and success. She is looking to establish herself as a dominant force on the music. And she does it by penning a totally independant and amazing CD. From the second Never Again blasts out, you know she is here to stay. Even if she goes back to Clive with her tail between her legs and begs for forgiveness, at least we got this gem of a CD.

Guns N Roses

The Rumbo Tapes

7.5/10

Got my hands on this due to the fact that Chi Dem is never going to see the light of day, and it's pretty good. I'd heard most of the songs before, and Crash Diet is one of my favourite GnR songs ever. The other standout track is Bad Obsession, mainly due to how different it is to the one that was released. Well worth trying to find if you are a fan of Guns.

Velvet Revolver - Libertad - 7/10

My biggest problem is that a couple songs are rather generic imo with the rhythm and such. Also, Scott Weiland has a very strong voice, obviously he's from the Stone Temple Pilots, but in this CD a majority of the songs are soft. If you are a Gun 'N Roses fan and/or a Pilots fan, this CD most likely won't live up to expectations. However, if you put aside the fact that the men in this band came from two legendary ones, it is a very enjoyable CD. Much better than their first release as well, worth picking up.

• 3 weeks later...

"The Missing Link" by Jeremy Enigk

This is basically two EP's in one. The first 4 tracks are brand spanking new songs, and the next 5 are live session recordings of tracks from "World Waits", released last year. Because of this, I will be reviewing them seperately.

The new songs are very much like the tracks on "World Waits" (And all, with maybe the exception of "Chewing Gum" are superior than a hell of a lot of the album). However they have charms of their own. "On The Wayside" builds into the most upbeat Jeremy Enigk song to date, and reminds me a fair bit of "The Rising Tide" era SDRE (Which is shit on, but there was some fucking good songs). All in all, the new songs are great. "Chewing Gum" is the weakest link, but it's still a solid song. Enigk has one of the most beautiful voices ever. When coupled with the orchestral backing, it helps make these songs, like the ones of "World Waits", flat out beautiful.

NEW MATERIAL:

Rating - 8/10

Best Tracks - "Tatseo Show", "Oh John" and "On The Wayside"

Now onto the live recordings. First off, this upsets me, as I was going to see Jeremy Enigk live, supporting Brand New at the turn of the year, but he pulled out due to illness. Now, I'm kind of split here, as he does a number of my favourites off "World Waits", but also a few of my 'least' favourites. And a lot of the songs seem to be missing the passion and intensity they have on the album. Most notably is "Been Here Before", which is possibly my favourite track on "World Waits", just seems so flat here. And when the organ comes in, which is an epic wall of sound on the album version, it just falls flat here, and the song loses its drive. But then again, "Dare A Smile" for example, I think sounds a lot better in this live recording than it does on "World Waits". With it being a studio session, it lacks the precision of an album recording but also lacks the intensity of an actual live show. It's not bad, but falls a bit flat.

LIVE MATERIAL:

Rating - 5/10

Best Tracks - "Dare A Smile", "Canons" and "River To Sea"

Edited by YI

Greatest Hits - Guns N Roses [8.5/10]

Greatest Hits - Nirvana [8.5/10]

Listening to both above I got distracted and disappeared downstairs whilst leaving on, thus a mark down.

Come Clean - Puddle Of Mudd [8.5/10]

Life On Display - Puddle of Mudd [8/10]

I've had Come Clean (first album) for about two months and Life On Display (second album) for about a month. I prefer Come Clean, and have only really listened to Life On Display when coming adter Come Clean. But Life On Display is growing on me, especially 'Freak Of The World'.