Robin Hood

Timmoru Suzuki

The BBC have hyped this drama to high heaven the last few weeks, and it was the first episode tonight.

Who else watched it? After all the hype I was hoping it would deliver, but it was very poor IMO. The script was average, with some very bad bits and the story wasn't too interesting, although they did have to 'get the gang together' I suppose. The acting was bad too, as Keith Allen was the only one to show any talent whatsoever. I was hoping the BBC would hire an actor to play Robin Hood, but those hopes have been dashed. I thought Jonas Armstrong was weak. It also tried to be funny in the same way Doctor Who can be histerical, and totally missed the mark nine times out of ten.

Wasn't all bad, but it was a weak start and not up to the hype machine it had beforehand.

I didn't like the "try for humour" stuff, moslty. Especially at the beginning.

However, by the end I must say I enjoyed it. The second half was much better than the first (when there was actually SOME drama. lol). I think it was an average-ish start, but has potential to be so much more...

Man, you suck. I came on to say just the opposite. (Edit: YThat was directed at timmayy).

I've been waiting for this for so long it's not even funny, so my glasses might be rose-tinted slightly, but I thought it was pretty good.

The casting was pretty much spot-on (although the guy that played the father of the first slag Robin got off with not only looked younger than her (or at least a similar age), but also was blatantly a swordfighter who was given lines. The guy can't act for shit.

Jonas wasn't as bad as you made him out to be. He was a far better Robin than Clive Owen was an Arthur. But that's not saying much. Keith Allen's awesomeness outweighs any flaws Jonas had anyway ¬_¬

It wasn't "LOL!" funny, but it didn't really try too hard. Not laugh-out-loud, but entertaining.

The one major thing that annoyed me though, was how ugly they managed to make Lucy Griffiths look ¬_¬ Seriously, what is up with Robin's taste in women? First the trogg that looked about eighty, and then the trogg with the really annoying voice, who in real life is neither a trogg nor posseses an annoying voice >.< Besides, isn't Marian supposed to be blonde? :P

But yeah, women aside, it was decent, IMO. Will definately be watching again next week. All brand new shows get better as they go along if they're going to be good at all, so give it a few episodes.

This is the best non-comedy thing the BBC have come up with since Casanova.

Edited by Cap'n Jean-Luc Picaaaarghd

Man, you suck. I came on to say just the opposite. (Edit: YThat was directed at timmayy).

I've been waiting for this for so long it's not even funny, so my glasses might be rose-tinted slightly, but I thought it was pretty good.

The casting was pretty much spot-on (although the guy that played the father of the first slag Robin got off with not only looked younger than her (or at least a similar age), but also was blatantly a swordfighter who was given lines. The guy can't act for shit.

Jonas wasn't as bad as you made him out to be. He was a far better Robin than Clive Owen was an Arthur. But that's not saying much. Keith Allen's awesomeness outweighs any flaws Jonas had anyway ¬_¬

It wasn't "LOL!" funny, but it didn't really try too hard. Not laugh-out-loud, but entertaining.

The one major thing that annoyed me though, was how ugly they managed to make Lucy Griffiths look ¬_¬ Seriously, what is up with Robin's taste in women? First the trogg that looked about eighty, and then the trogg with the really annoying voice, who in real life is neither a trogg nor posseses an annoying voice >.< Besides, isn't Marian supposed to be blonde? :P

But yeah, women aside, it was decent, IMO. Will definately be watching again next week. All brand new shows get better as they go along if they're going to be good at all, so give it a few episodes.

This is the best non-comedy thing the BBC have come up with since Casanova.

Edited by timmayy rave

It was alright, barring Keith Allen and the constant Smackdown-esque whirly special effects and camera angles. Whenever they walked anywhere it was like the bit on Pimp My Ride when Xzibit arrives and teleports about. But otherwise okay, I'll likely watch next weeks.

Alright, so who else picked up on the fact that they got all their dates wrong, and that the kind of bow he was using hadn't been used in England at that time?

Just me?

Okay.

The recurve bow was invented by the Huns, who came to Europe in the fourth/fifth century. So it's perfectly feasible that by the 12th century when the BBC version is based, Robin (who'd just come back from the Middle East, where he'd have fought scores of men on horseback and thus had plenty of opportunity to get his hands on one even if they hadn't come to England yet) would've had one.

As for "getting the dates wrong", how exactly do you get the date wrong for something that never happened? Most of the legends and fairytales were based somewhere around the 12-1400's, So they're not far out.

There are so many different versions of the Robin Hood story that you can't possibly start to pick holes in it unless you're just trying to be a twat.

Eh, I'd always thought that the Robin Hood story was pre-12th century, based on the earliest versions of the story, really.

I'm not picking holes in it for the sake of it, I just found it curious.

Accurate or not, the show's a bag of cock.