Torchwood

Timmoru Suzuki

That was a pile of crap. First episode was average, with some stupid bits (like the Terodactyl and the fact Capt. Jack can't die. They could have explained his not being killed by the bullet with those things he uses in the WW2 episodes of Doctor Who - the ones that fix Rose's rope burn, and pretty much save all of London0.

Second episode was piss-poor. If they had to go down the route they did, they could have just had an alien that was addicted to sex, and thats how they captured it in the end..... Overall, it felt like a long as hell 50 minutes.

Overall, it should be grittier, and it came across as trying way too hard to be flash. It's also far too Welsh.....

Though, it was saved a little bit by Captain Jack, and the little bits of intrigue there (is he/isn't he gay, what does he know about pretty much everything etc...)

Overall though, that wasn't good.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the first ep was shaky, but not bad.

I thought the second ep was better.

That is all.

EDIT: oh, and Mike, stop bitching about the Welsh...

Edited by Týr Are Better Than You

I'm not bitching about the Welsh! Two remarks in two hours! And I wasn't bitching, it was a light hearted jibe! Its far, far, far from bitching.

Seriously though, didn't enjoy Torchwood at all, sans the odd Jack moment.

Edited by timmayy rave

Bar the blatant attempt at making the show look edgy and adult (seriously, a whole episode based on a nymph alien was really taking the piss) I think Torchwood shows a lot of premise. It's not Doctor Who, that's for certain, but as a sci-fi series it's a pretty good one.

I like the fact that there's so much intrigue around Captain Jack as well. Why's he immortal, how did he go back in time, how did he get off the space station, what does he know and why was that hand so fucking important to him (though I must confess to already having an idea as to what that could be). That character's going to be the reason to tune in each week.

Though it has to be said that it looked like Russel T. Davis had suddenly come across the greatness that is Buffy and Angel and decided to copy their brilliance. But meh, I'll let it slide.

I thought it was alright, but that birds heel turn at the end of the first one was blatantly just to add a tiny bit of story to what was otherwise just a 45 minute introduction to whats going on. I can see it improving.

Second epp was just big geek Davis going, ooh! Sex with an alien, that'd be good. It was a poor mans Species, and Species is rubbish.

And the other blokes face offends me with its ugliness, whats going on with his mouth?

To do with the hand...

Could the hand be Captain Jack's? Like, he cut it off after finding he can't die and one grew back, so he's studying the still living severed hand?

Put it in spoilers in case peeps didn't want to talk about it.

Edited by Týr Are Better Than You

Just watched the repeat on BBC 2.

All in all, not bad. It's not as good as Doctor Who, but I expect we'll get a lot more out of it once the series has progressed a bit, and we've got to know the characters a little.

I enjoyed the first episode a bit more than the second. I was surprised with the amount of "adultness" that was in it (the security guard whacking one out over the CCTV video was a highlight) which helps set it apart from Doctor Who.

I'll keep watching, in all likelihood.

To do with the hand...

Could the hand be Captain Jack's? Like, he cut it off after finding he can't die and one grew back, so he's studying the still living severed hand?

Put it in spoilers in case peeps didn't want to talk about it.

I believe that the hand is that of the Doctor. The one that he lost during his sword fight with the Sycorax leader during the Christmas Invasion.

Overall, I really enjoyed the first two episodes of Torchwood. The alien living off orgasmic energy does seem like a way to get a lot of gratuitous sex on screen but it also shows that this is going to be a more adult programme than Doctor Who. At first look the cast does seem diverse for the sake of it, everyone does seem bisexual (I mean in the first two episodes there has been a man on man kiss and a woman on woman kiss), and everyone swears pretty much constantly... So its like real life, with aliens.

As for whoever said its too Welsh... Its based in Cardiff for fuck sake, what do you expect? I actually think it makes a nice change from the norm.

Captain Jack is as close to the Doctor as he can get without actually being a Timelord it would appear, he can't die, no one knows anything about him and he has the sort of personality where he draws you in but always keeps you at a distance. Lots of questions arise from his character though, why can he not die? Is he the pilot that disapeered in 1941? How has he been to the future? How did he get back? What does he mean by saying the 21st century is where it all happens? He needs to stop with the whole 'dramatically standing on top of a building' thing though, that's lame.

Oh and that lead woman is hot.

Of course he's the pilot that disappeared in 1941, it was a Doctor Who episode.

The Welsh thing was a joke btw. They have set a hell of a lot up, its just all about Jack, and the actual episode stories so far have been bollocks.

Yeah, I was about to say, the whole 1941 thing was from a Doc ep.

And I like the idea behind the hand, NBT. Would make sense for studying purposes.

That was a million times better. A very good episode overall, and I hope thats the sort of thing we can expect to come.

Edited by timmayy rave

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the latest episode with the "faeries". Not a bad episode, but quite weird.

I thought it was crap, and turned it off half-way through. Only good ep so far was with the alien device that amplified emotion and allowed people to 'see history' as it were. Though I did miss the Cyber-Woman show, and that looked like it might be OK.

Yeah this was the first one I watched and shame I missed the cyber-woman episode as the trailer for it showed promise.

As for this fairy one....I thought the writing was below par, the acting kinda wooden and the plot sketchy. Nothing interesting at all...And even the "big twist" bit at the end with the girl in the old photo was just a rip-off of The Shining...And not handled as well either....

I was getting into Doctor Who, cheesy as it was, mainly cos Tennant's an excellent actor....Torchwood however cannot be rescued without him...