Album Of The Year candidates?

Liam

I feel kinda the same way Benji does... meaning no new album has swept me off my feet...

For me, I dunno, Stone Sour's "Come What(ever) May" is perhaps the album i've enjoyed the most... RHCP "Stadium Arcadium" was kinda hit and miss with me... Angels and Airwaves was pretty good, same with Alexisonfire's "crisis"... Rob Zombie's "educated horses" didn't exactly interest me at first, though it has grown on me (but there is still a few "filler" tracks...)...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said in the MCR thread, Beck's The Information is probably my album of the year, but here are others that I thought was solid if not brilliant:

The Mars Volta - Amputechture

Belle and Sebastian - The Life Pursuit (>_>)

Muse - Black Holes and Revelations

TV on the Radio's was pretty tight as well. The Avalanche from Sufjan Stevens was great, even if it was the Illinois B-sides and you can tell it at some points.

EDIT: Dammit, 10,000 Days is right up there, too.

Edited by ROC Says Vote Carly Pope in 2006

Well, let's see... We have got a ton of good albums already this year, my personal faves so far including Napalm Death's "Smear Campaign", Summoning's "Oath Bound" and Cattle Decapitation's "Karma.Bloody.Karma". However, my album of the year so far would be "Trample The Weak, Hurdle The Dead" by Skinless. Great brutal death metal with catchy riffing and precise drumming... And the vocals are just lovable as well. My pick (Y)

I was wondering, Bushy, what you thought about Decapitated, out of interest?

Though if I'm honest, no NEW album has really swept me off my feet and kept me there, Angels and Airwaves was great, for a month, ditto Dirty Pretty Things' effort. Stadium Arcadium is an above average album from a band that should be making waves still.

Personally, I think it has been a pretty good musical year so far, as I was straining to keep stuff off my list more than looking to add stuff to it. I'm really not normally into checking out the stuff as it is happening, but 2006 I've been pretty impressed with.

so far:

Streetlight Manifesto "Keasbey Nights"

Lupe Fiasco "Food and Liquor"

Arrogant Sons of Bitches "Three Cheers For Dissapointment"

Tool "10,000 Days"

Red Hot Chilli Peppers "Stadium Arcadium"

Could definitley be more canidates considering there will be new albums from Mos Def, Incubus, Talib Kweli, Jay-z, The Game, and possibly Kanye before years end.

so far:

Streetlight Manifesto "Keasbey Nights"

Lupe Fiasco "Food and Liquor"

Arrogant Sons of Bitches "Three Cheers For Dissapointment"

Tool "10,000 Days"

Red Hot Chilli Peppers "Stadium Arcadium"

Could definitley be more canidates considering there will be new albums from Mos Def, Incubus, Talib Kweli, Jay-z, The Game, and possibly Kanye before years end.

Guest The Bleeding Heart Show of Ringy

Personally, I think it has been a pretty good musical year so far, as I was straining to keep stuff off my list more than looking to add stuff to it. I'm really not normally into checking out the stuff as it is happening, but 2006 I've been pretty impressed with.

Iron Maiden's A Matter of Life and Death is in my opinion the best album Maiden has put out, and immediately went to my top ten. So, yeah, that's obviously a strong candidate. There's still plenty of releases left though. And I still didn't hear that new Circle II Circle.

1. Mastodon - Blood Mountain

2. Breaking Benjamin - Phobia

3. Three Days Grace - One-X

4. Breed77 - In My Blood

5. Stone Sour - Come What(Ever) May

Honorable Mention: Trivium - The Crusade

Something will really need to blow me away to knock Blood Mountain off the top of that list.

It's probably Waterloo to Anywhere by Dirty Pretty Things for me, but I've also been enjoying Costello Music by The Fratellis, and my new found obsession with The Killers means I'm liking Sam's Town so far. I liked Razorlight's softer album this year as well, and many more, but well; I can't be assed to list them.