Top 50 Actors

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me personally, I enjoyed the hell out of Spader in Secretary, but Maggie Gyllenhaal made that movie. Other than that, Spader's always been kind of meh.

I agree. The Secretary is Maggie's movie and she owns it. And if this is one of the "sex" movies that CSAMH said he doesn't care about, then he's missing out on one of the best independent films ever IMO.

I love Dr. Cox, and he's a great character actor, but I'm not sure he belongs on this list. Maybe at 50ish, but not here.

Dustin Hoffman is an acting god, and it is kind of a shame he only placed where he did, but at least he got recognized at all.

What's wrong with Braff

Me personally, I enjoyed the hell out of Spader in Secretary, but Maggie Gyllenhaal made that movie. Other than that, Spader's always been kind of meh.

I agree. The Secretary is Maggie's movie and she owns it. And if this is one of the "sex" movies that CSAMH said he doesn't care about, then he's missing out on one of the best independent films ever IMO.

So far we've established Will Ferrell is a better actor than Anthony Hopkins, Dustin Hoffman and Christopher Walken. I think it's time to establish that this lisn't any good.

I wouldn't go that far. Unfortunately people like some hot actors a lot, forgetting classic actors. I did it too. I forgot about Hopkins and kicked myself when I saw him on the list in such a low spot. It happens. That said, while Ferrell would place high in my list of comedy actors, I do agree that he does not belong on this list.

Also when I said I agreed before, I didn't agree that Spader wasn't that good, just that Maggie owned The Secretary. Spader kills in many films. 3 Days In The Valley (i believe is the title) is one such film where I thought he was fucking great, even if the movie was just above average.

So far we've established Will Ferrell is a better actor than Anthony Hopkins, Dustin Hoffman and Christopher Walken. I think it's time to establish that this lisn't any good.

I wouldn't go that far. Unfortunately people like some hot actors a lot, forgetting classic actors. I did it too. I forgot about Hopkins and kicked myself when I saw him on the list in such a low spot. It happens. That said, while Ferrell would place high in my list of comedy actors, I do agree that he does not belong on this list.

Also when I said I agreed before, I didn't agree that Spader wasn't that good, just that Maggie owned The Secretary. Spader kills in many films. 3 Days In The Valley (i believe is the title) is one such film where I thought he was fucking great, even if the movie was just above average.

Yes, but 3 Days in the Valley also had a catsuited Charlize Theron catfighting with Teri Hatcher. (Y)

Yes, but 3 Days in the Valley also had a catsuited Charlize Theron catfighting with Teri Hatcher. (Y)

If it had featured Teri and Charlize catfighting topless while Spader watched and a small cameo by John Cusack and the two did commentary on the topless catfight, it might be the best film ever.

At the risk of nitpicking, the movie is actually 2 Days in the Valley, not 3. :P

Anyway, you guys bringing it up reminded me of somebody I wish I had voted for. Eric fucking Stoltz. He's usually a secondary character, but he plays his roles great. He's excellent in Mask, Pulp Fiction, Rob Roy, and Memphis Belle, plus he's one of Jeff Spicolli's stoner buds in Fast Times at Ridgemont High. I always enjoyed his work.

I'm digging this list so far and awaiting to see where Robert Deniro is placed. I'm assuming top ten since he was my number one, and seemed to be quite high for a few others.

I also don't agree with Will Ferrell on the list, but it's obvious that he's been featured prominently in many comedies within the last few years. It's easy to see why some folks would have voted for him.

<center>

35: Liam Neeson

LIAM%20NEESON.jpg

63 movies and TV appearances including Schindler's List, Kinsey and Batman Begins

Hamster's opinion: A fantastic actor who'd deserve to be in the list for Oskar Schindler alone. Pure class.

34: Ralph Fiennes

ralphfiennes.jpg

31 movies and TV appearances including Schindler's List, The English Patient and The Constant Gardener

Hamster's opinion: Like Neeson, his pinnacle was undoubtably Amon Goeth in Schindler's List. A brilliant character actor who remains extremely British.

33: John Cusack

1166020_10.jpg

54 movies and TV appearances including Grosse Pointe Blank, Being John Malkovich and Thin Red Line

Hamster's opinion: A number of years back he was hailed as the most skilful actor of his generation. Personally, I think he's great, especially in Grosse Pointe Blank.

32: Vince Vaughn

vince-vaughn-2.jpg

44 movies and TV appearances including Swingers, Wedding Crashers and Be Cool

Hamster's opinion: I want to poke him in the eye. He's horrifically not funny.

31: Bill Murray

bill-murray.jpg

47 movies and TV appearances including Ghostbusters, Groundhog Day and Lost In Translation

Hamster's opinion: Lost In Translation aside (I hated that film with a passion), Murray is quite rightly a comic legend.

</center>

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

I enjoy the hell out of Vince Vaughn, but I'll admit that a lot of his roles feel the same to me. He'll never surpass his smarmy asshole turn as Trent. Hell, Favreau probably should be on this list before Vince.

Cusack is #32? <_< I'll be watching to see what kind of rubbish makes the Top 20, and then I shall...I don't know, complain about it or something.

And I'm waiting to see where BILL Murray comes in on this list. Is "Bull" Murray another one of the famed Murray brothers? :D

<center>

30: Clive Owen

000001-clive_owen.jpg

50 movies and TV appearances including Croupier, Gosford Park and Children Of Men

Hamster's opinion: Improving all the time although for me his standout performance is still Gosford Park. Definitely deserving of his place! And he looks like Small Blue.

29: Gene Hackman

hackman3.jpg

98 movies and TV appearances including French Connection, Superman and The Royal Tenenbaums

Hamster's opinion: Like DeNiro and Pacino, Hackman's always balanced against Hoffman. And rightly so, two extremely good actors and Hackman, like Hoffman, deserves a higher position.

28: Takeshi 'Beat' Kitano

TAKESHI%20KITANO.jpg

34 movies and TV appearances including Zatoichi, Battle Royale and Hana-Bi (oh, and Takeshi's Castle)

Hamster's opinion: The best Japanese actor of his generation who also happens to be the best director of his generation too. For me he definitely deserves his place in the list, and I'd have put him higher.

27: Steve Buscemi

1165783_10.jpg

102 movies and TV appearances including Reservoir Dogs, Fargo and The Sopranos

Hamster's opinion: I think I like him. He's undoubtably good on screen, more often than not in a supporting role, a position he's made his own. Deserves his place I think.

26: Bruce Campbell

bruce%20campbell%20hands.jpg

88 movies and TV appearances including Evil Dead, Bubba Ho-Tep and Army Of Darkness

Hamster's opinion: The greatest actor ever? No, but he knows his craft extremely well and has quite rightly gotten himself cult status.

</center>

I don't know why, but Hackman has never really done anything for me. I know he's great, but I just don't know why I can't get into him.

I love Bruce Campbell, but I wouldn't put him on this list.

Buscemi and Owen are golden.

I always like seeing Hackman, but I don't like most of the movies where he's the undisputed "star." (Except the first French Connection.) Most of his best stuff is when he's sharing with somebody else (The Royal Tenenbaums FTW), and he plays a good heavy. (His Lex Luthor in the first couple of Superman movies totally made them.)