Rap.

Death Before Dishonor

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only people who listen to West Coast rap are gangstas and wannabe gangstas. It was always going to be a flash-in-the-pan, there's only so many songs about guns and bitches you can listen to before you think "This is lame, I should probably start listening to people with brain cells".

Though I'm a huge Busta Rhymes fan (early Busta), I prefer the West Coast rap. It can be said that I listen to it since I enjoy stuff like Eazy E or NWA, but I think it'd be quite ignorant to even throw me into the "gangsta" or wannabe "gangsta" theme.

I'm not even a huge fan of rap but both of your comments just make you come off as a douche bag.

It has nothing to do with "making yourself feel like a gangsta". Music should never have anything to do with making yourself feel like anything, but appreciation for the vocals and music put together. I'd say the majority of gangsta rap fans love the flow of lyrics put together with the beats chosen for songs.

Take a song like Dear Momma, by Tupac Shakur, a notorious west coast gangsta rapper. People love the song for the reasons I mentioned above. Great lyrics that go well with the music supplied with it, and it's simply a heartfelt ballad dedicated to a man's mother.

Some people enjoy a harder edge in music as opposed to the sugar coated, paint by numbers bullshit. I like music that is real, that comes from the heart, and I think that a lot of gangsta rap is from the heart. These are guys writing lyrics that are based on real life experience. I can imagine why people like rap that feels like it comes straight from a real life experience.

Yeah, I don't think the appeal of gangsta rap in white America was ever that it made anyone feel gangsta. Gangsta rap, for the most part, was an entirely different sound irrelevant of the lyrics. That's what drew me to it. I also support what Puke said, in that most of gangsta rap does seem to come from the heart.

Actually if you listen to the track "Cigarette" from Fort Minor's album, Shinoda pretty much mentions the appeal rap has to most people. Check it out. I'm not huge into rap unless the lyrica are clear, which is why I've always liked stuff from Eminem, Dre, now Fort Minor, some Jay-Z and Nas. I love the song "Ether" by Nas. But I need to be able to hear the lyrics, which means I don't want something fast, and I don't want something slurred, so it's safe to say I haven't found much rap that I can actually enjoy.

the game is bad ass, tech n9ne's new shit is pretty good, rick ross, akon, haystak (only dude i haven't seen mentioned. he's the shit.), ummm.. chamillionaire i dig, bone thugs, young buck, three 6, ugk, lil wyte, really any southern/midwest rap i could listen to.

:thumbsdown: to pretty much all of those. You want to listen to some good Southern Rap, listen to UGK, Scarface and older Outkast. Everyone else is either corny as hell, not talented in any way, or just decent. Not hating on the South, just being real.

Anyone else think that song "Who Killed It" off Nas' new album is amazing? Once you figure out who and what he's making reference to, it's crazy to think about. Maybe it's just me?

I happen to think the whole record is pretty fucking amazing, but I'd say "Who Killed It" is a stand out track. I just love that it builds with it's attack on the industry as it is right up till the end, when it ends with "Hope" on a completely new and hopeful tangent. It makes up completely for how disappointing some of the other rap heavy hitters have been this year.

Other recommendations: Indie-wise: Cadence Weapon, Busdriver, Jedi Mind Tricks, DJ Format (anything with MC Abdominal), Del tha Funky Homosapien and k'naan. Mainstream: T.I., Lil' Wayne, Outkast, k-os, Kanye West, Lupe Fiasco, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Jurassic 5, the Roots, Q-Tip and The Clipse. If you're on an old school trip: A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, KRS-One, Public Enemy, Cypress Hill and (although this may be my Irish-American fascination) House of Pain.

:thumbsdown: to pretty much all of those. You want to listen to some good Southern Rap, listen to UGK, Scarface and older Outkast. Everyone else is either corny as hell, not talented in any way, or just decent. Not hating on the South, just being real.

Anyone else think that song "Who Killed It" off Nas' new album is amazing? Once you figure out who and what he's making reference to, it's crazy to think about. Maybe it's just me?

I happen to think the whole record is pretty fucking amazing, but I'd say "Who Killed It" is a stand out track. I just love that it builds with it's attack on the industry as it is right up till the end, when it ends with "Hope" on a completely new and hopeful tangent. It makes up completely for how disappointing some of the other rap heavy hitters have been this year.