Terry Pratchet's Discworld

PkmnTrainerJ

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teatime's voice reminded me of Johnny Depp's in Charlie & The Chocolate factory.

I must admit I loved it, it was a bit slow, but to be fair, so was Lord Of the Rings in most places. The 2nd one looks like it's building up to be good though. I'd have marked for a mention or cameo for Rincewind in the Unseen University. Mind you, I was loving seeing the Death of Rats in there.

I really need to start reading Terry Pratchet again.

On the subject of Teatime's name (I haven't watched Hogfather, 'tis recorded for me), he does pronounce it himself many a time in the book as:

'TEA-UH-TIME-UH'

I know, but I swear I heard him add an R in once >_>

I thought it was Teh-A-Tim-Uh, rather than Tea-Eh-Tim-Eh...admittedly I haven't read the book in years, and haven't watched the show yet, so I'm not adding much to this discussion anyway.

Yup, I just got finished and am mostly ambivalent. I hated Teatime's voice all round, and that was the major off-putting moment. A lot of it was over-acted, but that's to be expected in something that has to appeal to the kids as well. Some good performances from Ridcully and a few others more than balanced it out. I found Death's image a little too stylised and comic-y for my liking, but the rest of him was perfect. Nobbs was perfect too, and that was a nice little cameo. The fact that Tony Robinson was in it was perfect, wouldn't have been right otherwise.

All-in-all, I wasn't that impressed, but it wasn't disappointing. Probably one of my least favourite Pratchett stories in any case, but they managed to be faithful to it.

My main problem with Hogfather (which overall I thought was good) was the amount of time "wasted" being "faithful to the book".

I dunno what else that Vadim Jean guy has done in his career, but I'm willing to bet not much of it has been book-to-screen adaptations. There was loads of stuff that was utterly pointless, but was in the film simply because it was in the book.

Like the Archchancellor opening the bathroom. Other than being mildly amusing in some parts, what purpose did that serve? It didn't really justify nearly half an hour of screen time.

The same with the bit where Susan took the O' God of Hangovers to the Unseen University 'to wake him up'. Hell, the O' God of Hangovers didn't really have much of a role in the entire story, other than to be quite funny and waste a bit of time.

When the film is four hours long, wasting a bit of time isn't really a priority :P

Like the Archchancellor opening the bathroom. Other than being mildly amusing in some parts, what purpose did that serve? It didn't really justify nearly half an hour of screen time.

Introduction to the Verucca Gnome :shifty:

I've barely seen any of this yet, just the first forty-five minutes or so, but the main thing that's got me is how terrible the Auditors are. Their voices are irritating, they're meant to sound other-worldly, not like a bad Michael Caine impersonator. And Susan doing Death's voice wasn't nearly as good as I'd hoped for, either.

On the plus side, though, all the wizards seem great, especially the Bursar and Ridcully, Teatime's great, even if he is channelling Willy Wonka a little too much, it works.