Maiden own you.

Nerf

So, just got back from the gig, and man oh man was it fucking sweet.

We got to the M.E.N. at about half 6. Me and my mate decided we wanted to head straight into the arena because there's nothing more atmospheric than seeing people arrive and the arena get fuller and fuller. Anyway, we're treated to some chick solo artist who's backing group were metal as fuck. Then they go off, and we wait for about ten minutes. After a classical intro, Trivium kick things off with Entrance... which was shit. After that, Matt started blabbing about someone who'd died, I didn't catch who, and their next song was dedicated to them. It was Light Like The Flies, I marked the fuck out. Next was Gunshot, which was equally as amazing. I can't remember much else, other than The Anthem, and ending with Pull Harder. They were alright, and they won me back over after their change in style.

Anyway, next is Maiden. They kick off with Different World, & inform us they're playing the entire album tonight, I was pretty niffed at that, but heh. It was pretty shit to be honest with you, bar a few songs. Until, out of nowhere they played Fear Of The Dark, followed by 2 Minutes to Midnight and Hallowed By Thy Name. I'm sure there was another but I can't remember what it was. I'm fucking out of it. Headbanging like fuck all night, it was just crazy.

Bruce also apologised and said that there were a lot of songs they wanted to play tonight but didn't have the time to. But how about we reschedule and meet up in six months time on a big field of grass. Yes, you know what I'm saying, and I fucking hope so. Amazing, amazing night. Anyone else been to any of this tour's shows?

I love it how they are playing the full album. In my opinion it's the best album they ever released and it's not like people haven't heard the classics live before. They've been touring like hell for some 20 odd years and always play certain songs. Happy to see some of them dropped off the setlist this time around.

Sounds like it, Keith. Also, from her wiki article:

During Iron Maiden's European tour, Harris went on before Iron Maiden to warm up the crowd in Denmark in November 2006, in both Gigantium in Aalborg, and in Valby in Copenhagen.

(And I'm aware Nef isn't from Denmark, but who's to say she's not doing it on the whole European leg?)

She's fit as fuck too.

Edited by Cloudy - A Broadway Show

IronMaiden.com says Lauren's doing the entire European tour.

I don't get why people are complaining about Trivium's change of style, which in my opinion makes them even better, and also why you're complaining about Maiden playing the entire "A Matter of Life and Death" album. You bought tickets for that tour, you should expect to see that album dominate the setlist, and I've known they were playing this set for months, so I'm really psyched for it. I've seen them twice before, on the Dance of Death tour and on the Early Days tour, so I'm happy to be seeing something new.

But you say it was amazing anyway? Of course it was, it's Iron fucking Maiden. The Glasgow show's tonight, and I'm looking forward to it like a motherfucker. The date seems to have flown in over the last few weeks, and that's not really a bad thing. Less than 9 hours, I'm only bound to get more pumped for this. Mark it in your diaries, for the first time since I've been a member of the Battleground, Maiden sees Maiden <_<

I expected the album to dominate the setlist, but I didn't expect them to play the entire album and little else. If they hadn't have played FOTD, 2MTM and HBTN I would have felt ripped off. It's unheard of playing an entire album, even if it's that album's tour. It's a stupid idea.

Last night was absolutely amazing. Not that I expected any different mind. After missing Lauren Harris :(, Trivium were pretty awesome, if at times trying too hard to win the crowd over. They didn't seem to realise that a large portion of the crowd were 50/50 on them - either the stubborn Maiden fans that hate any support band, or emos that came mainly to see Trivium. Of course there were several thousand, such as myself, that were there to see Maiden and Trivium came as an added bonus.

The majority of people are in the same boat as Nerf, where they didn't like the idea of playing the entire album. I can understand that, but there were people who went too far and said they were shite because they played the whole album. I personally loved the show, but I'll admit I probably enjoyed it more because I knew they were playing the whole album in advance. But yeah, awesomeness incarnate. A friend of mine agreed, and he hadn't even heard A Matter of Life and Death before the show.

Also, Bruce said the same thing about turning a field into a shithole in 6 months, it sounds more like a Maiden festival tour rather than just playing Download. Which rules, because I'm not in the greatest position to go to Download just now, with T In The Park already booked for the summer. Now, if only they played Balloch Park and I'd only have to walk 10 minutes to the gig... <_<

Quite a few bands have done the "whole album set" thing (Slayer with "Reign In Blood" and Machine Head with "Burn My Eyes") two to come straight off the top of my head, although I do agree with the difference between playing fully a seminal album and playing fully a newly released album.

Edited by Liam Byrne

I like the idea of bands playing a full album, if it's a classic like Reign In Blood or Master of Puppets, but I don't think this is a classic.

On a similar note, I'd love to have GnR do Appetite all the way through.

Went to the gig last night. I've got to say, I really enjoyed the set and some of the new songs sound so much better live than on CD (e.g. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg).

On a side note, Lauren Harris was entertaining (and well fit :D). And Trivium are the most generic thrash band I've ever heard.

The songs we got after the new stuff was... Fear of the Dark, Iron Maiden, The Evil That Men Do, 2 Minutes To Midnight and Hallowed Be Thy Name.