Crackdown

Buford Ripley

Level 4 Driving spoilers.

I just drove up the wall of the La Mugre church and as I got to the top unable to drive no more my SUV launched up a few feet. As I came back down I did a backflip and then landed perfectly on the roof of a nearby building. 'Twas most indeed a terrific occasion.

Edited by WristClutchExploderKuplex

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah... after extended play, I can say this game is pretty terrible. There just isn't any substance at all:

-No plot. Take out these gangs. Why? Just do it.

-The gangs are so ridiculously stereotypical. How many times am I going to have to take out Latinos, Asians and Russians in a video game? And the fact that the big boss is an old, Asian dude that is the master of "dark arts" is just fucking hilarious.

-Every mission is exactly the same. Go in, shoot, grenades, done. When you get the grenade launchers/bazookas, it's damn near impossible to lose unless you're just overwhelmed by a ridiculous amount of enemies. The bosses all behave the same.

-No actual indoor areas. There were indoor areas in Vice City, a game that's what? Five years old on a last-gen system? This is the XBox 360, there should be actual indoor areas, not just some stairs with a dome around it. Minor gripe, but still.

-This is like playing those boring ass Spider-Man games they've been churning out the last few years. What is there to do? Oh well, you can collect orbs and beat up bad guys. YAY!!! So yeah, my initial reaction of playing State of Emergency is pretty accurate, just toss in Spider-Man once you start to level up.

-Horrible soundtrack. Your Microsoft Game Studios, you couldn't spring for an artist that maybe more than five people have heard of? Besides being all unknowns (besides Curve, who do rock), the selection is pure shit.

-The driving mechanics are fucking awful and there are too many pedestrians in the way to really have fun with the street races.

-The worst part about this game is the goddamn aiming mechanic. People say Grand Theft Auto is bad? It's got nothing on this. Here's a brief rundown of what it is like trying to shoot in this game, even if your stats are maxed out:

*Aim at bad guy two feet in front of you*

(Gun aims at bad guy 200 feet away and oblivious to you)

Zero: GODDAMMIT

Narrator guy: WATCH IT AGENT, LOW ARMOR!

*Aim again*

(Aims at random car)

Narrator: THERE'S A ROOFTOP RACE NEARBY AGENT! SHOW ME WHAT YA GOT!

Zero: SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!

End scene.

-And the controls, which are getting so much praise for their accuracy really aren't that great either. Again, even with stats maxed out, I often feel like I'm playing the old Mega Man games where you're at the level with the disappearing blocks and you have to stand in just the right place to make sure you can get to the next one. One small misstep and you're 500 feet below and you have to start all over.

-Oh and the camera sucks more cock than a truck stop hooker who needs a fix.

Still, all that, the game has an addictive quality to it. It's certainly decent for about three days of torturing yourself. This is the game that has got me considering reactivating my Gamefly account. I haven't rented a game in probably four years, but spending $60 on this has got me realizing I have got to stop just buying games.

Edited by Zero

After beating* this game, I thanked god for My Coke Rewards free rentals at Blockbuster. Wow this was a linear playing style and it was quite frankly too damn short to spend $60 on. I can't believe it was called GTA on steroids, how horrible a comparison. Don't get me wrong, I had fun, but it was like 5 hours and it's over.

*- this just means that I don't give a damn about the achievement points, I'm in it to play the storylines to the end. And that I did. So don't say how can you say you've beat the game when you didn't get all the achievements. Hell I was at like 2 stars and jump and grenades were at 3 in most everything when I killed the Asian guy whose supposed to be the hardest to kill, I did that entire Island second before I realized I was supposed to kill the Volks.

One of the things I did really love about this game was none of that damn choose your device thing, I can't stand when the system doesn't recognize I don't have a memory card, just save to the hard drive. It's a nexgen system, it should realize if you don't have a memory unit to autosave to the HDD.

Have you gotten to Shai Gen yet? If you have, and if you've beaten the black guy (I forget his name >.<), then just go to that building again and get all the way up onto the roof. You should see some tanks up there, simply grab one, get a running start, and toss it over the edge of the building. Achievement unlocked.

No clue about the long jump, it's the only one that I need out of the car stunts.

Edited by Mysterio2000X

Have you gotten to Shai Gen yet? If you have, and if you've beaten the black guy (I forget his name >.<), then just go to that building again and get all the way up onto the roof. You should see some tanks up there, simply grab one, get a running start, and toss it over the edge of the building. Achievement unlocked.

No clue about the long jump, it's the only one that I need out of the car stunts.

Same with me. I'm gonna try to use the SUV and launch out one of the Agency tunnels.

Thats what I did, full skill SUV out of the tunnel that leads to the Volk. If you use the jump at the very edge of the ramp it should throw you far enough to easily get it.

Also, that same tower building you're talking about it the best for the car stunts I though, take the SUV up the lift, drive up the ramps to the buildings edge and leap off. You could get two or three stunts in a single jump off of there.

I only need 2 hidden orbs and I've looked absolutely everywhere, twice >_<

Edited by Kaney

Heh, ironically enough, the Volks ramp is the only ramp I haven't tried the long jump on yet. This guy I was playing co-op with managed to get it on the Muertos ramp, so I've spent most of my time trying to do that on there.

And damn, I didn't think you could fit any of the cars in the lift, but I think I know how I'm going to get that double front flip achievement now. Thanks, Kaney. >_>

Has anyone had Crackdown freeze on them?

I have had no problems before with any games, but I just rented Crackdown and it always freezes on the loading screen before I get into the campaign. I hear the DVD drive in the 360 slow down and then stop completely, then the screen freezes and nothing works, even the guide button. Right afterwards I played Call of Duty for an hour with no problems so I doubt it has to do with the system.

The disk is flawless, minimal scratches. I have tried it 4 times and it always freezes there.

Edited by Corizzle