Buffy question

Lord Nibbler

I know there are quite a few Whedon fans on here, so I figured I'd get some kind of consensus.

OK, if you were trying to get someone into Buffy the Vampire Slayer who'd never seen it before, what single episode would you pick? Obviously the strength of the show is how the characters develop over time, but I don't have time to make him sit down and watch a whole season, let alone seven.

I think he'll like it if he gives it a shot, though the premise (cheerleader vs. vampires) puts him off. He did however like Firefly (and Serenity), despite not liking sci-fi shows. So basically I want an episode that kind of highlights the characters and the writing and everything rather than one that has cool fight scenes in. Any season will do, though I'm wary about showing him episodes from the first series because the cheesiness of the special effects and the abundance of strangely-costumed monsters might put him off.

Both of those are really gimmicky though, so I don't really think they encompass everything awesome about the show. It's hard to say which is best, but I'd definitely go with one of the more "normal" ones, albeit the most well excecuted of those. Definitely something with Spike... and Anya/Xander.

I actually HATED Buffy until a month or so ago when I was round at a mates house. We were havinbg lunch and needed something to watch. Under protest, he put a random Buffy on. About five minutes later:

Me: Adam...

Adam: What?

Me: This isn't half bad you bastard!

I rented the first disc of Season one, and fairly enjoyed that, then rented the last disc so I could see more random episodes then the finale of the first season. I'd say start from the beginning, its a good a place as any! Plus, it gives decent enough backstory as foundation for later episodes.

I still wouldn't say I really liked the show THAT much or anything, but its gone from a show I had zero interest in and something I'd actually avoid to a show that I'll watch if its on TV and I'm not doing anything important (or again if a friend wanted to watch one)

I actually HATED Buffy until a month or so ago when I was round at a mates house. We were havinbg lunch and needed something to watch. Under protest, he put a random Buffy on. About five minutes later:

Me: Adam...

Adam: What?

Me: This isn't half bad you bastard!

I rented the first disc of Season one, and fairly enjoyed that, then rented the last disc so I could see more random episodes then the finale of the first season. I'd say start from the beginning, its a good a place as any! Plus, it gives decent enough backstory as foundation for later episodes.

I still wouldn't say I really liked the show THAT much or anything, but its gone from a show I had zero interest in and something I'd actually avoid to a show that I'll watch if its on TV and I'm not doing anything important (or again if a friend wanted to watch one)

Buffy's generally a solid show with only the odd episode either amazing or horrible. Angel is similar but varies more in quality.

Welcome To The Hellmouth? :P

Actually, thinking about it, What's My Line part one is quite fun and there's not a lot of backstory you'd need to explain to your friend for that one.

Evil Vampire and Evil Vampire's sire send uber-assasins (who are actually quite pathetic ¬_¬) to kill Vampire Slayer. Meanwhile, new Slayer with horrendous accent that's supposed to be Jamaican arrives and locks Vampire Slayer's Vampiric boyfriend in soon-to-be-daylit cage.

It's also the ep. where Oz and Willow meet. And Xander and Cordy bring lots of funny.

I never had any interest in the show since about early 2006 when I watched Season 1 DVD. Then I watched Season 2 DVD. I may get 3 sometime, I haven't seen any episode past Season 2. I have no idea who Spike is.

:blink: You've seen season 2 but don't know who Spike is? Spike was pretty much in all of season 2.

You're missing out on two of the best TV characters ever :P

Spike and Druscilla are surely one of the best on-screen pairings in TV history. And they don't work when they're not together (Spike does to a certain exetent, but when they're together it's just magic).

The episode that had Buffy being brought back to life after the battle with Glory. IMO it showcased Willow as a character incredibly, and when Buffy stops those Motorcycle Demons (I think that's who she stopped), it gives you that tingly feeling.

I never had any interest in the show since about early 2006 when I watched Season 1 DVD. Then I watched Season 2 DVD. I may get 3 sometime, I haven't seen any episode past Season 2. I have no idea who Spike is.

:blink: You've seen season 2 but don't know who Spike is? Spike was pretty much in all of season 2.

Edited by Farmer Reil