The Top 20 Video Game Franchises

PkmnTrainerJ

The Independent published a story, which included a list of the "The bestselling games franchises." Here's the list:

The Bestselling Game Franchises

1. Mario: 193 million

2. Pokemon: 155 million

3. Final Fantasy: 68 million

4. Madden NFL: 56 million

5. The Sims: 54 million

6. Grand Theft Auto: 50 million

7. Donkey Kong: 48 million

8. The Legend of Zelda: 47 million

9. Sonic the Hedgehog: 44 million

10. Gran Turismo: 44 million

11. Lineage: 43 million

12. Dragon Quest: 41 million

13. Crash Bandicoot: 34 million

14. Resident Evil: 31 million

15. James Bond: 30 million

16. Tomb Raider: 30 million

17. Mega Man: 26 million

18. Command & Conquer: 25 million

19. Street Fighter: 25 million

20. Mortal Kombat: 20 million

Mario and Pokemon are the only franchises to break the 100 million mark. No surprise here, despite Mario's head start, Pokemon is catching up quickly.

The Independent

Naturally, a lot of media has picked up the story and credited back to The Independent. However, this same exact list was available elsewhere a week earlier, on Wikipedia.

Wikipedia

When I looked at the numbers, they looked very familiar from what I saw last month on Wikipedia, in particular the numbers for Mario and Pokemon that I remembered somewhat (I was researching statistics of best selling games). So I went back to the Wikipedia article that lists the top video game franchises, and found that the numbers from The Independent are identical to the numbers listed in the Wikipedia article. Most of the updated numbers on Wikipedia were available since November 2006 and December 2006 (so not exactly new news, per se). History logs show that Wikipedia had the same exact numbers a week earlier since January 2, 2007 (when new sale numbers of Madden NFL 07 were added). Most of the numbers data, as credited in the Wikipedia article, are from press releases, but some are tucked away in articles concerning a single game.

The Crash Bandicoot franchise has been absolutely shot to hell since its last PS1 game. It's about the only one on the list that I'm really annoyed about seeing there.

Edited by stokeriño

-Mario is not only the best selling franchise but the greatest in terms of game quality. Super Mario Bros 1,2,3, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario World, Super Mario RPG, Super Mario 64.

-I love the early PK games, but 100's of hours into them.

-Love the series.

-Not a football, so eh.

-I love The Sims, not surprisng to see it high, it did have like 100 expansions.

-A couple good games.

-Donkey Kong Country 1-3 are superb.

-Not a fan, but surprised to see it low.

-Not a fan, still great.

-Really love GT2.

...WHAT?

-Another great series.

-A few good PSX games, my favorite was Crash Bash.

-Played a couple.

-Goldeneye was awesome and I don't even like shooter games.

-Never liked the TR games.

-Mega Man X is amazing. Mega Man Original...not so much.

-Not familiar with this.

-Best fighting series in terms of gameplay.

-My favorite game franchise, been a hardcore fan since I was 5.

The original Crash Bandicoot was the first game I got with the PS1 and it was brilliance.

A few of those I've never played - Pokemon, Donkey Kong, Lineage, Dragon Quest, Megaman....

A couple I've only played like one game from the series - Zelda (Links Awakening was amazing), The Sims....

Mario's never excited me strangely...

The first three Tomb Raiders were brilliant gaming - interesting, fun, full of atmosphere, some good graphics too...

Gran Turismo 1, 2 and 3 were lots of fun but the thrill died off for me after that...

Completing Command and Conquer for both sides was a highly rewarding gaming experience and the Resi Evil series on the PS1 were brilliance.

So not bad at all.

I'd have thought that the MGS series would have been higher - does this include Japan?

Metal Gear should be in their somewhere.

Actually, looking at wikipedia - MGS1 sold 6m worldwide, MGS2 sold 7 million

So that's saying that all the old MG games, the one on the GC, MGS3 and the gameboy & PSP one's sold less than 7 million combined? I doubt it.

Pokemon is about the only franchise that I could ever see catching up to Mario, if only because of the fact that Pokemon sequels seem like they're going to just keep pouring out for all time.

--Not bad for a series that started with what was going to be the company's last game before going under.

--GTA will go off and hide with Final Fantasy isolating themselves in third and fourth by the time it's all said and done.

--I am really surprised to see DK ahead of Zelda, since most of DK's best games are old-school arcade-and-Colecovision era, back before there was a gaming box in every second or third house. Zelda was right there with Mario helping the NES really take the industry mainstream.

--The Bond games and Medal of Honor series are the only FPS's that I've ever enjoyed, but it's still surprising to see what, five Bond games (?) ahead of series like Mega Man and Street Fighter...

...and Tomb Raider. Of course, after #2, it seemed like people got the hint that the TR games were starting to suck.

--This horse has been ridden a little too far, and this coming from a guy that absolutely LOVED the first four or five games. The fact that there's so few sold means there's only a few obsessives that want to play the same game over and over again.

--See Mega Man.

--See Street Fighter.

And come on, Kou, everybody knows Solitaire has outsold Minesweeper by tons. :shifty:

--This horse has been ridden a little too far, and this coming from a guy that absolutely LOVED the first four or five games. The fact that there's so few sold means there's only a few obsessives that want to play the same game over and over again.

--See Mega Man.

Edited by Riceman 4K

--See Mega Man.

The fighting game community desperately wants to play SF4.

Capcom get off your asses and make the game!

Good fighting games these days are rare (MKA and DoA4 both sucked)

All sports titles are included together. Just look at Madden. Sega Sports and other such things may not be included in a singular "American Football" category, but every single Madden is. Same goes for other series.

All games in the RotTK line should be counted together. Every Mario sports titles and spinoff is generally considered in with that number. Same goes for some of the other series with obvious spin-offs (Final Fantasy, Donkey Kong, Crash Bandicoot, etc.).

Dynasty Warriors is simply a spin-off of the Romance games, thus a franchise together. They should be counted. If it was just individual game series then that would be quite different.

Street Fighter 4 is rumored to be unveiled this year as celebration of the 20th anniversary of the franchise.

And whoever said they were surprised to see Donkey Kong ahead of Zelda, it's likely due to the sheer amount of Donkey Kong games. List of Donkey Kong Games

And you can't discount just how huge Donkey Kong was in the early 80s, it was the game to play before the Mario franchise took off.

All sports titles are included together. Just look at Madden. Sega Sports and other such things may not be included in a singular "American Football" category, but every single Madden is. Same goes for other series.

All games in the RotTK line should be counted together. Every Mario sports titles and spinoff is generally considered in with that number. Same goes for some of the other series with obvious spin-offs (Final Fantasy, Donkey Kong, Crash Bandicoot, etc.).

Dynasty Warriors is simply a spin-off of the Romance games, thus a franchise together. They should be counted. If it was just individual game series then that would be quite different.

- No surprise, the NES games were bad ass and there have been many good/great Mario games since

- Despite the fad being dead the games are still top notch most of the time

- I'm surprised this isn't a bit higher, due to the Japanese buying anything FF like hotcakes

- I haven't bought a Madden since 2004, but it is in the top 3 sales every year so it will continue to grow

- This would be the newest franchise on the list right? This game appeals to a wide range of people

- Not really too much to say

- Bad ass during the SNES days, seemingly dead now

- Probably the most consistant series, not a bad game in the series(apart from maybe the infamous CD-i game not developed by Nintendo)

- Latest version for 360 sucked

- Not into the realistic type racers

- Never played

- Possibly even more popular then FF in Japan, not as popular over here

- Been shit since Sony sold the franchise

- Never played

- Very meh since EA got the rights

- Legend is a step in the right direction for the series

- Surprised it's not higher, it is much more known then Dragon Quest and a few others ahead of it

- King of RTS, I'd think Starcraft could rival it if they made more then one

- Good but dated fighter, needs to be updated

- Street Fighter should follow in Mortal Kombat's steps, Mortal Kombat was a little shaky in the N64/PS1 days but the last few have been top notch

Games I see making this list soon:

Halo - Halo 3 will probably take it to the 20 million mark, it will be one of the fastest series to make 20 million as many of the series listed have more then 10 games

Metal Gear Solid - Really surprises me it's not on the list

Tom Clancy(if you add SC, RB6 and Ghost Recon together)