The Mafia Discussion Thread

This is in reference to RW's "is this global scum week" question. It became global scum week months ago when townies realized that by playing like scum they would not get nightkilled. The biggest problem is that about 75% of the time these townies are not important (read: they don't have a powerful ability, or they don't have one at all which is worse) and end up making their own teammates waste investigations etc on them. Either that, or they get killed by the vig which makes everything easier for the scum. It's also the main reason that scum groups usually win unless they have a noobie nooberson on their side and basically shit the bed on the first day of the game.

Maybe it's just me but from what I've noticed, the towns seem to be doing a lot better than they were at one time. High School mafia was a quick elimination of scum. McDonalds has been though you need to get past one person claiming "This ain't how we played it when I was your age" and the long winded rants. More discussion has lead to better information even if people do throw a hissy about Meta-Gaming.

Maybe it's just me but from what I've noticed, the towns seem to be doing a lot better than they were at one time. High School mafia was a quick elimination of scum. McDonalds has been though you need to get past one person claiming "This ain't how we played it when I was your age" and the long winded rants. More discussion has lead to better information even if people do throw a hissy about Meta-Gaming.

It is rather sad to see people mistaking results for skill. If you make a stupid argument and that leads to a scum getting lynched, that does not mean you made a good argument. It means you got lucky. It's the equivalent of me shutting my eyes and throwing a dart at a board, hitting the bullseye, and then opening my eyes and saying 'I meant to do that'.

Edited by The Evil Overlord
  • Like 1

It is rather sad to see people mistaking results for skill. If you make a stupid argument and that leads to a scum getting lynched, that does not mean you made a good argument. It means you got lucky. It's the equivalent of me shutting my eyes and throwing a dart at a board, hitting the bullseye, and then opening my eyes and saying 'I meant to do that'.

Please tell me how much skill is involved in telling someone they shouldn't talk, which is what you did to Neji. I'm pretty sure it was also you who accused someone of being stupid and that it was going to get someone killed in a mafia game. I'm not arguing that all theories are great and full of logic, but discussion is meant to help the town. It's up to us to decipher the bullshit from the truth and attempt to convince a majority to see what we see. Since you've returned I've seen you call people stupid, and trash their theories without really coming up with any on your own. So tell me, is skill to sit around and wait for scum to be handed to you on a silver platter? I'm not exactly getting your definition of skill I guess.

Don't look at me, he started it. <_<

Whether my gameplay irks you or not is irrelevant. I'd be happy to have a proper discussion about it later. But I only come off as aggressive towards people like Neji and deangelo when they insist on not listening to me, as I think I've played and run enough games of Mafia to know how they work by now without being told.

• Like 1

Just a quick message to say that I'm off to Bloodstock in about half an hour. There's meant to be internet cafe's there, but it depends what i'm doing/how busy they are, etc. as to whether I get on. Otherwise, I'll be back on Monday.

I've extended the deadline twice mainly because of board problems. I've been quite flexible but there's no point in setting a final deadline in which you're suppose to finish your voting by if I'm going to allow votes after that point (whether it be five, ten, or twenty minutes).

Remember when I mentioned how a deadline can be used as a tool or as a sword?

Yeah, this is what I was talking about.

• Like 3