The Mafia Discussion Thread

Has Pleatherface finished a game yet? I always love his concepts and roles but it just seems like everything of his that I've joined ended prematurely.

That's why I put Pleatherface down; yes, his opening posts and concepts for roles have seemed pretty awesome, but it's hard to tell how well designed a game is if it doesn't finish (unless it ends in flames, in which case, yeah).

I'm thinking of doing a mini-mafia on another board to see if I'm any good as a mafia mod for future reference on here.

The main question I have is how many scum players do you have if you have only 8 players(pretty dead board 8 is the best I think I'll be able to get).

I've got ideas for mostly everything else but that point troubles me as I don't want to overbalance a game that small with too many scum and vice versa.

Are there any 8 person Mafias on here that would be a good reference point?

With 8 people, it's usually 2 scum. I always try and balance my games so that the scum are between 20-40%. 25% is a good number.

Eight players means that if you have a group of 3-- the most you could have without starting the game at half the players being mob which ends it instantly-- the game will end on Night 1 if the town lynches a townie and the mob gets their kill through. So as Sean said, 2 is the better option. Besides, even if you had three scum and one was an indy, the town would lose on the first day if they lynched a townie because of the ratio (2 mob, 1 indy, 5 town with mob needing half the town's numbers usually), unless you tweak the rules to compensate but even then, the game would still be cut far too short.

6 vs. 2 at least gives you a few good day/night periods before endgame, which is important.