Emo: Legitimate ?

Guest mAXi

Music wise, is the word 'Emo' a legitimate genre in the industry, or is it simply a derogatary (sp?) word to express hatred for a band/artist ?

Im yet to find a correct answer to the question :ohwell:

It's a legitimate term derived from "emocore", which in itself was a sub-genre of hardcore in the mid-80s (I believe). It's come to be used as a derogatory term that has absolutely no bearing on its original meaning at all, mostly because people are idiotic sheep.

Well it depends. To me, there's the social group "Emo" and the genre "Emo" and recently the paths have somewhat intertwined. The genre emo is basically, originally an offshoot of hardcore-punk. With bands like Rites Of Spring, Husker Du etc, and later (And more common influences for the current 'emo' bands) Fugazi, Get Up Kids, Sunny Day Real Estate and Lifetime (Who aren't seen as an 'emo' band themselves, but their sound has been touched upon/ripped off by pretty much every emo band in existence...most notably would be Taking Back Sunday......and now they're signed on the FOB label :shifty:)

Oh and slightly related, anyone else heard that Naked Raygun are getting back together? Fucking good news.

Edited by Steve Mandela

More importantly how many different types of 'hardcore' bands do we have these day?

You've got your original hardcore-punk, started with Dead Kennedy's, Minor Threat etc.

Now you've got your more emo tinged/noisy...sort of stuff (I just at explaining), like; Thursday, Fear Before The March Of Flames, Cursive, Moneen...

Then you've got your slightly more abstract...which have somewhat of the same principles, but don't really fit with the before mentioned, like; An Albatross, Blood Brothers etc.

You've got your screamo style stuff like; Circle Takes The Square, Hot Cross, Joshua Fit For Battle etc.

You've got your NEW hardcore-punk like; Strike Anywhere, The Killing Tree, The Set Up, Break The Silence, No Trigger...but then again, they're all slightly different, with The Killing Tree and The Set Up generally being slower and heavier, with more screamed vocals...IT'S TOO FUCKING CONFUSING!!!!

Then you've got melodic hardcore...like BeerBong...which is basically pop-punk but with a fucking insane drummer. :shifty:

Then you've got your stuff like Lifetime, 88 Fingers Louie etc...which are seen as some as a transition before hardcore-punk of old and hardcore-punk of new...I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA?!?!?!

DAMNIT...double post...I thought someone would have posted by now.....or at least I'd written it in under 10 minutes. :(

Edited by Steve Mandela

Even more importantly, when did every sub-genre of rock have to have "core" as a suffix? >_>

"Core" means it was derived from hardcore. But nowadays it's just getting silly.

When I think of emocore, I'm much more inclined to think of the stuff I was brought up listening to thanks to my Uncle, who was about 16 when i was 11, he got me listening to stuff like Jawbreaker, Far, Mineral, Small Brown Bike, The Promise Ring, etc. So personally I think thats what the emocore stuff was to me.

The more modern stuff is just 'emo' I think, or emo punk or whatever sub genre people give it, but for the most part, I think the emocore stuff of yesterday isn't really around so much anymore.

When I think of emocore, I'm much more inclined to think of the stuff I was brought up listening to thanks to my Uncle, who was about 16 when i was 11, he got me listening to stuff like Jawbreaker, Far, Mineral, Small Brown Bike, The Promise Ring, etc. So personally I think thats what the emocore stuff was to me.

The more modern stuff is just 'emo' I think, or emo punk or whatever sub genre people give it, but for the most part, I think the emocore stuff of yesterday isn't really around so much anymore.

More importantly how many different types of 'hardcore' bands do we have these day?

Now you've got your more emo tinged/noisy...sort of stuff (I just at explaining), like; Thursday, Fear Before The March Of Flames, Cursive, Moneen...

They would be post-hardcore to me