WrestleMania PPV Poster Contest

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ROYAL RUMBLE POSTER CONTEST RESULTS

Toffee Crisp: The text up top is very off-putting. A different font would certainly work with what you're trying to do up there, but personally I think you should just forget about the soft light all together (that IS what you used on the text, right? Certainly looks like it). The image used for the foreground is a poor choice (I'm not sure if you cut it yourself or not, but it's a bit shoddy in some areas... and it just doesn't fit the look of the poster overall). The text at the bottom also seems out of place-- not in the placement, but in the font choice. The gritty feel you've established for your peice doesn't really fit well with a calligraphic font. 5/10

Dochappy: This was one of the better peices I've seen from you in a very long time typography-wise. I'm loving your font choice and effects, it fits the peice perfectly. The logo works well to contrast the black and white, and overall the top half of the image looks very, very nice. The bottom half, however, needs alot of work: you can see HBK's chin through Punk's head, for starters, which probably wasn't something you wanted to see happen. I wouldn't use whoever that is on the far left with Booker-- first of all, because of how dark the image is, placing him behind Booker throws off the balance of lighter images to the right. I'd have moved them in the middle if anything, or had dark images on the right as well with the lighter ones in the center. The way you placed the images in at the bottom though... I don't know, really. To be honest, I'd just start over on the bottom bit, it just didn't turn out that great in the end. 6.5/10

The Prototype: The logo needs to be downsized just a little bit-- you've got it off-centered at the top with the WWE logo getting cut off on the left-hand side, which isn't very visually appealing. With the logo being sans-serif, and your font at the bottom being sans-serif, using a serif font for the date completely throws off the balance of type on the page-- especially the type you've used. You've established a darker poster with your style here, and using a flowy font like that just doesn't seem to fit the mood. That said, the font at the bottom isn't that great a choice either-- I'd have went with a font to better match with the logo up top (not neccesarily the font itself, just something close to it. Hell, even Impact would have been good). Other then that, I actually like the background... it's simple, yet effective. With Dochappy's it was the type that shined and the rest that fell short. With this, I feel it's the inverse. 6.5/10

Legend_Killer33: I see what you've done here, you were really shooting to capture an older WWE style with this poster. Well, you almost pulled it off, but here's a few suggestions: see how everyone but Orton are facing directly to the viewer? Orton's cut is throwing off the little bit of subtle harmony you've got going there. See about replacing that cut with one of Orton facing forward, so he can also stand closer to Punk like Edge and HBK are. Also, see about sofetening the cut around Edge and Punk's hair-- Edge's is too sharp a cut, and Punk's is too pixellated. See about smoothing up Taker's hat, too. Work on the black fade at the bottom too-- you missed a spot in the lower right hand corner. I like the "No Pins, No Subs, No Mercy" bit with the white text at the end... that was clever, actually. Also, I'd suggest sticking to the font you've used for the "No Pins, No Subs, No Mercy", instead of switching to the new font you used with the date. I think it would balance out the bottom better if you did that. It's a good idea, honestly, but there's just alot of this piece that needs work. 5.5/10

Evansfan1: I'll be honest, when I first saw this one... I wasn't too sure about it, but it actually grew on me. I see you stuck with one match instead of the rumble itself, which works as the WWE have done that in the past in their advertising. I like how subtle Batista's face is in the background, but I'm not sure about the comic-book-esque effect you've got on Kennedy towards the bottom. Try softening those edges a bit, and also... see where you've applied the glow around his head (I'm assuming it was actually a side-effect of your gaussian blur though, to be honest), there's a black outline that's clearly visible surrounding the cut. See about trying to remove that without making the cut too sharp at the edges, and it'll make the cut look less... "rough", I suppose, against the smooth background. Other then that I like it... nice job at the bottom, typography and placement is very nice. 7/10

Jimmy the Exploder: Oh ho, took the same route as Evans, eh? Looks good though... I was impressed by the way you handled the top portion of your poster. It looks very legitimate and professional, I like that. The cuts and the placements work well-- you didn't go with a traditional hard-fade over images, but rather looked for areas where the fades could be subtle, letting the image flow together. However, there are some areas of the fades that I see didn't turn out that well; Umaga's stomach being eaten by blackness surrounding his head at the bottom right, John Cena's legs abruptly vanishing before they could even meet the pixels of the table and Umaga's arm... and I'll be honest here, I was a little bit put off to see Umaga's fist shooting into Cena's ass (though I didn't mark it off, I just laughed). It's a good peice, but it still needs just that little bit of fine-tuning to make it something more. 7.5/10

AD: Sweet Jesus, look at that typography. I'm in love with how you handled the bottom half of the poster... in fact, that was actually the first thing that caught my eye: your placement is awesome, the work you did on the cuts fits very nicely, and all in all you've done a stand-up job making that half of the poster look legit. That being said, moving to the top... you kept up the good work. I like how the logo seperates the logo in half, and I like the job you've done on the cuts. The edges do look a bit sharp in areas... but it actually adds to the look, the way you've set this peice up. The only thing I can really nit-pick at is that I notice your "World Wrestling Entertainment Presents" text is behind the wrestlers' shadows, when it might have looked better overtop of it. However, honestly, you won't be marked down hard for that at all... it's just a great peice overall. I loved it. 9/10

God-Awful: Hmmm... this is a very unique and adventurous idea. You took a risk here by shooting for something like this, I'll give you credit for that man. Loving the way you made the shots in the wrestler seem to bend around with his skin, almost makes him look like a bloody statue with an image playing in it or something. However, I think you could have benefitted from a different background. Something with color to it, but very dulled and faded color; now, I see that the one you have now has that, but not in the way I'm seeing. Try not to have just a motion blur as your background... in fact, here, picture this: try to find a shot of the entrance to the ring, where the wrestlers come out at. Fade the colors and maybe even darken the image a bit... and you've got a damn good contrast with a bit of imagery involved. Now, as far as the font choice... I have to cringe a bit there. The italics seem a bit much, like they're not exactly needed to add to the text and actually appear to detract from them. Instead of using a stroke on the text to make it stand out, see about adding a very soft drop shadow with minimal distance from the text and a low opacity setting. Play around with it until it looks good, but I think it'd look much better then the stroke. Also, try and find a font that's not quite as tall as the one you're using... I think that might work well too. Again, this was a good idea, so I felt compelled to offer help with it... but as it stands right now, the execution has brought it down. 6/10

Anothername: Well, I decided to go easy on you and accept your late edited entry. That being said, I'm liking the outcome of this peice-- not liking how you came up with it per se, but nevertheless liking the outcome. The type at the top needs to change though, because it's a serif font and the rest of your type is sans-serif, making it look a bit off. If the font you used at the bottom doesn't look good at the size you have set for the one at the top, find a sans-serif font that works better. Also, either my eyes are playing tricks on me, or you have an extremily faded yellow outer glow. If you do, get rid of it... because it seems to be throwing things off at the top. If you don't, I blame this computer's monitor, or perhaps even my eyes. Moving on, though... I like what you've done with the cuts, and the fact that the guys in the foreground cast shadows on the guys in the back. I'd suggest going with a different cut for Edge and Orton though, as with Edge the lighting and coloring of the image off-sets the rest surrounding him, and with Orton's you can clearly see the lower image quality in comparison with the quality of HBK and 'Taker. Finally, I think aligning that text at the bottom to the right might add a bit of minor visual interest down there, as having it centered right now makes it seem a bit, I don't know... off. I'm not sure what about it is putting me off, but it's there. Now then, that all being said, I think it's a great peice, but still needs some minor tweaks to make it something special. Damn, that sounds familiar. 7.5/10

Congratulations to AD, who wins with a score of 9 out of 10! Thanks to those of you who submitted entries to the contest last month, I hope you all appreciate the feedback given. I'll try to do the same with this next month's contest.

Edited by The Mask of Norro

Sorry about questioning whether it was still the No Way Out banners.. i am new here and werent sure if you went with the current PPV since No Way Out had already been on I was checking to see if it was Mania's turn. But now i know, ill put my No Way Out Entry up soon.

This is my entry for the No Way Out PPV.. first attempt using photoshop for banners, used to make them in fireworks. so here it goes.

Constructive criticism is welcome thru pms

nowayoutqy1.jpg

Edited by nufan

No Way Out/Against All Odds is closed, so can we get some judges in on that one. Good response, more entrants than the first set.

Since there's a few weeks until WrestleMania, I think we can squeeze in another one. Again we'll have two sets of rules, for those who don't watch TNA, or just want something a little different.

TNA Desination X

Theme: Design a poster advertising the Destination X PPV.

Size: 350 pixels (width) x 450 pixels (height).

Deadline: March 18th

--OR--

Classic WrestleMania

Theme: Redesign the poster from a previous WrestleMania.

Size: 350 pixels (width) x 450 pixels (height).

Deadline: March 18th

Edited by Jimmy the Exploder

• 2 weeks later...

so anyone gonna judge the last contest?