What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

W. - 5/10

Eh, just felt boring. I loved Oliver Stone's Nixon biopic and really wanted to like this movie but I just couldn't. Maybe it's because they were trying to make Bush sympathetic and I have absolutely no sympathy for the man. Josh Brolin was great, as was the rest of the cast too.

The Happening

ROC, you were too nice to this movie. Seriously... what the fuck was that?! It wasn't as bad as Lady in the Water, but it came pretty fucking close. I'm convinced that M. Night is now so far up his own ass and he can't direct his own way out of it. This is fucking painful to watch this guy just go to complete shit because I like most of his movies, I'm even one of the three people who genuinely loved The Village! Seriously, if you're thinking about watching this movie, don't. Honestly, there are no redeeming qualities to it - no suspense, no scares, no emotion, no nothing. It is literally 90 minutes of your life you will never get back.

The Ruins

Standard for the genre, nothing special. Great adaptation of the book though, pretty faithful... which isn't hard since the book reads like something the author wanted adapted as a movie. Some decent gross out stuff, a few cringe-inducing moments, not great, but not horrible either, worth a look if you're bored.

Edited by Zero

The Happening

ROC, you were too nice to this movie. Seriously... what the fuck was that?! It wasn't as bad as Lady in the Water, but it came pretty fucking close. I'm convinced that M. Night is now so far up his own ass and he can't direct his own way out of it. This is fucking painful to watch this guy just go to complete shit because I like most of his movies, I'm even one of the three people who genuinely loved The Village! Seriously, if you're thinking about watching this movie, don't. Honestly, there are no redeeming qualities to it - no suspense, no scares, no emotion, no nothing. It is literally 90 minutes of your life you will never get back.

I was "nicer" for two reasons. It is a well shot film, even if such shots go to waste on a "running from the wind" sequence. Also, Leguizamo's brief part adds a tad bit of humanity to the story...

until, y'know, he gets killed off-screen half an hour into the movie.

Yeah, M. Night definitely knows how to make a movie look awesome... he just needs to stop writing. I don't know if the guy is just fresh out of ideas or if he's intentionally low-balling us so that he doesn't have to live up to the pressure of being the dude that made The Sixth Sense. Either way, it pains me to see him churn out these shitty movies.

Another big complaint was that for all the hype about this being his first R-rated movie, it really wasn't that gory. Sure there were a couple parts, but that was the softest R I've seen in a long time.

Yeah, it's amazingly PG-13 for an R-rated movie. The most cursing comes from the two teenagers in one scene late in the movie and it barely goes past say one use of "goddamn" towards the end. But only the last death scene and the zoo scene really were anything that could've made the movie R-rated, because the violence was way more off-screen than a movie with an R rating would insinuate.

Burn After Reading 7.5/10

I could stretch to an 8/10. The first twenty minutes are slow as hell, and even after that there are times where it drags a little and Brad Pitt is carrying the entire damn thing on his back, but there are some funny parts, and it reallt picks up the more it goes along, to the point where the last ten to fifteen minutes are one long giggle-fest, and I ended up liking large parts of it. Not everyone will like it, but I largely enjoyed it.

Quarantine

Great scares, great tension, great atmosphere, all around great horror flick. Definitely worth a night out at the movies, my only real gripe is a big spoiler, so be forewarned:

Giving away the last shot of the movie in the trailer?! FUCKING LAME!!!

Burn After Reading 7.5/10

I could stretch to an 8/10. The first twenty minutes are slow as hell, and even after that there are times where it drags a little and Brad Pitt is carrying the entire damn thing on his back, but there are some funny parts, and it reallt picks up the more it goes along, to the point where the last ten to fifteen minutes are one long giggle-fest, and I ended up liking large parts of it. Not everyone will like it, but I largely enjoyed it.

It did take awhile to get going. My friend hated it because of that. I enjoyed it though.

Eagle Eye - 8/10

I can't quite understand what some people are talking about, I really enjoyed the movie. I thought the build up was nice, the acting was good and convincing, and while in the cinema, I just enjoyed myself quite a lot. I'd recomend seeing it for sure, it's a lot of fun.

Quarantine

Great scares, great tension, great atmosphere, all around great horror flick. Definitely worth a night out at the movies, my only real gripe is a big spoiler, so be forewarned:

Giving away the last shot of the movie in the trailer?! FUCKING LAME!!!

I'd recommened the original spanish version, [REC], much better I thought, even though it's the same film essentially.

I just saw Max Payne.

It was better then all the reviews made it out to be. The plot is a bit unrealistic, but the action sequences as cool. Not a memorable film, but enjoyable. I would give it a 6 out of 10.

Saw5325.jpg

Saw V

Just saw this down the Cinema and I've gotta say being a SAW fan I am not dissapointed. While some would argue it's the weakest of all the SAW films - it was in some ways a film for this series that had to be made. There is a different feel to this film than the others, as while moving forward with the plot it does also look back and add final explainations to what has come before. It could also be argued this is the most A-B-C SAW to date, there are twists and turns but they aren't so complex as what we have seen before, but I see that as a plus point. SAW V also does what it needs to do as it sets us up really well for SAW VI next year, the background is now much more solid and now we can move forward. On the gore front I must say that some parts of this film surpased my expectations, the Pendulum trap is just nasty as well as a couple further down the line. This has to be for me the first SAW film which has had some real gross-out moments where I couldn't look. When we look at SAW a lot of times you have to judge the ending, and a credit to the writers the twist here at the end, while not being on a large scale alike past ones is very, very nice - and its actually something rather new for the SAW series. Personally I can't wait to see this film again, it only saddens me that certain questions will not be answered till a year down the line.

Rating: 8/10

SAW V also does what it needs to do as it sets us up really well for SAW VI next year

I haven't seen it, but this is supposed to be the final movie.

Yeah P52 Bomber is right, and to be fair they have already pre-filmed some scenes for 6 when they were filming 5. The hope now is 6 doesn't suck because if it does it really will put a negative view on the last few saw films.