What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

B00004Z4WQ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Scary Movie - 5/10

*WARNING: Spoilers. But the movie is fairly bad so do you really care?*

I will admit that there are a couple scenes where I absolutely cracked up. The scene where the killer confronts Buffy and she completely hams it up, mocking him and these kinds of scenes in general and takes it a bit too far, to the killer's annoyance, is a dead-on satire of Scream's tendency to push the limits of the fourth wall and is hilarious, and the first scene in which Cindy and the killer face off is amusing as well.

Unfortunately, two good scenes does NOT a good movie make. The rest of the movie is more or less a string of jokes about gay people, small dicks, sex, and black people.

The thing is, when you look at all the trivia involved, the Wayans Brothers put a LOT of effort into parodying the films and it pays off sometimes (one of the best choices is having Squiggy from Laverne & Shirley as the principal of the high school, a jab at Henry Winkler (The Fonz) as the principal of the high school in Scream). If you go to the "Movie Connections" section of the IMDb page on the film, it's probably the most diverse range of spoofs I've ever seen in a film, ranging from references to the obvious (Scream, I Know What You Did Last Summer, the Matrix) to the obscure (Ghost in the Shell, Final Fantasy VII (WTF? Where is THIS? I'm tempted to rewatch the damn movie just to FIND all these), and bizarrely enough, the semi-short lived WB cartoon Histeria!).

But if I want a movie that's simply a bunch of references, I'll go with Kill Bill where it was done well, rather than here where the a whole lot of potential is undercut by tacky, lame humor, including the most revolting sight gag I have EVER seen.

It's a pity that David Zucker wasn't involved with the first. He would have actually had something to parody there.

(I mean, Scary Movie 4 seems to be based around SUPER HERO MOVIE PARODIES. *Slaps forehead.*)

If you like endless pop culture references and lowbrow humor, rent this movie. If not, stay the fuck away.

Star Trek: First Contact 8/10

Very good, enjoyable film. Probably would have rated it higher if I hadn't sen it 4/5 times already. It does a lot the refrence previous episodes of the series, and the audiences knowledge of Star Trek is called upon (but explained for those who are unfamiliar) making it even better for fans fo the series.

Possibly the best Star Trek film, and certainly the best out of the Next Generation films (Generations, First Contact, Insurrection, Nemesis)

6304696221.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery - 9/10 or (***1/2) One of my favorite spoofs ever. True, the second and third chapters lagged, but the first chapter is greatness.

B0000C8ROV.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Adam Sandler's Eight Crazy Nights - 6/10 or (**1/2) Another mixed bag as the musical numbers are hilarious while the juvenile humor may turn many off.

B00003CXWV.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Blow - *** or (6/10) - (Y)

The film has a great first half, but it wears on and on with it's constant repeating of itself and turns into some sappy love-letter at the end.

I really don't care if a drug dealer fuck-up isn't visited by his daughter in prison(who's trust he betrayed as a child). Waa, waa, waa.

Still somewhat recommendable.

Edited by Numbahs

movies I watched yesterday:

Problem Child- 6/10 I remember loving this as a kid. Don't think as much of it now, but still somewhat enjoyable.

61*- 8/10 I really liked this movie despite my hatred for the Yankees. I like how Thomas Jane did Mickey Mantle. Very good sports flick.

The Big One- 7/10 This movie is a documentary about corporate america by none other than Michael Moore. I've yet to see Farenheit 9/11, but I want to see it badly. Anyway, this was a funny movie. I like the end when he gets Nike to build a factory anf Flint because 500 people from Flint agreed to work there.

True Lies- 8/10 Great mix of comedy and action. Tom Arnold is funny as always, and Arnold is surprisingly funny(although I did like Kindergarten Cop). Jamie Lee Curtis' strip tease also added to this movie :P

Spiderman 2 - 9.5/10

This film was like super wow. I'll say its as good as the first, but the first was amazing so its not getting better than that. I loved every part of it, and it some places its so emotional. The only bit that worries me is the ending with Mary Jane not smiling, its like her and Peter are made for each other...please do not kill her off or turn her against him in the next one :angry:

SWAT.jpg

S.W.A.T. - 6/10 or (**1/2) Another pretty straightforward action flick. It's pretty good to spend two hours watching but not really memorable. Just to mention it, Michelle Rodriguez must be the hotttest SWAT agent...well EVER.

B0000WN1PO.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Grind - 5/10 or (**) They pretty much could've called this film 'Seth Cohen Goes To The Skate Park'. Brody basically is Cohen in this except he has no Ryan to talk to or no Summer Roberts as his girlfriend. (which would've made to movie better, of course) Anyways, there are some good cameos in this (Bam Margera, Tom Green, Brian Posehn, etc.). The only other reason to recommend this at all would probably be due to the fact that there are some seriously hot chicks in this. Also, what is the deal with them repeating the same portion of "Boom" during the final skate sequence?

Edited by TheROC-Revolt