Nintendo waves goodbye to the GameCube

PkmnTrainerJ

Perrin Kaplan, Vice President, Marketing & Corporate Affairs of Nintedo of America said what was just a matter of time - Nintendo stops with producing first-party games for the Gamecube.

BIZ: My point is that from a first-party perspective, just like Microsoft doesn't put out new original Xbox games, Nintendo is no longer supporting GameCube. Can you confirm that?

PK: Right, that's correct. But it's still a great starter system because of all the great games that were made that are still available. That's the normal cycle for all products.

I'm not really surprised that PS2 has outlived Gamecube and X-Box. Always saw it coming I guess. In my opinion, PS2 won the "console wars" that generation.

Though I highly doubt PS3 will win this generation. Wii seems like the best one to me.

There is no opinion about it, PS2 destroyed. I'm pretty sure Sony sold almost double what the XBox and Cube did combined.

I'm not really surprised that PS2 has outlived Gamecube and X-Box. Always saw it coming I guess. In my opinion, PS2 won the "console wars" that generation.

Though I highly doubt PS3 will win this generation. Wii seems like the best one to me.

Dreamcast was technically part of that generation. The fact that you left them out means, I suppose, it lost.

and now a Nintendo UK spokesperson has stepped in and contradicted her statement: "I can confirm that globally, Nintendo is still continuing production of GameCube hardware and GameCube software."

http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/23/gamecub...dead-after-all/

There's life in the old girl yet!