Bands that dissapeared off the face of the planet

YI

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever happened to A?

There was Nothing, and then Starbucks, and then... well, nothing. But the quiet kind of nothing, not the ear-splittingly high-pitched whiny vocals kind.

Big fan of A, so naturally I know the answer. They made a new album "Teen Dance Ordinance" in about 2004 (tis a great album) but had some serious issues with the record company over releasing it. They eventually got it out in 2005 with little promotion or support from radio stations or magazines (because they didn't fit this indie, diluted guitar shitbitch music we still have to put up with today) and it only reached in the 90s in the charts. They went on tour and went on hiatus as of October 2005 because they'd ran out of money. The lead singer is currently a producer (he's produced Mcfly or something?), the guitarist is a Radio 1 DJ and the drummer plays for Bloodhound Gang now. There's been no indication of them reforming as of yet.

EDIT: Oh and Funky, I have no idea about Andrew WK as of this moment, but I knew he pretty much fucked up his party-rock style of music with a quiet (read: boring) second album and lost all of his momentum.

Edited by God-Awful

Whatever happened to A?

There was Nothing, and then Starbucks, and then... well, nothing. But the quiet kind of nothing, not the ear-splittingly high-pitched whiny vocals kind.

Big fan of A, so naturally I know the answer. They made a new album "Teen Dance Ordinance" in about 2004 (tis a great album) but had some serious issues with the record company over releasing it. They eventually got it out in 2005 with little promotion or support from radio stations or magazines (because they didn't fit this indie, diluted guitar shitbitch music we still have to put up with today) and it only reached in the 90s in the charts. They went on tour and went on hiatus as of October 2005 because they'd ran out of money. The lead singer is currently a producer (he's produced Mcfly or something?), the guitarist is a Radio 1 DJ and the drummer plays for Bloodhound Gang now. There's been no indication of them reforming as of yet.

Whatever happened to A?

EDIT: Oh and Funky, I have no idea about Andrew WK as of this moment, but I knew he pretty much fucked up his party-rock style of music with a quiet (read: boring) second album and lost all of his momentum.

Andrew WK ended up releasing a Japan/Korea only CD last summer, but that's supposed to be released in America this summer on vinyl only. He's supposed to be doing the same thing with a US first album this year and a Europe first album next year. So he's still around, just not as popular.

The Chumbawumbas.

You could find Tubthumping playing 24 hours a day on the radio in late 1997....

And like that *poof*, they're gone. . .

I think I read in Kerrang! They're planning a new album to be released in the not too distant future... The guitarist left them and didn't the front man marry Avril Lavigne?
Edited by YI

The Chumbawumbas.

You could find Tubthumping playing 24 hours a day on the radio in late 1997....

And like that *poof*, they're gone. . .

They're called Chumbawumba, there's no "The" about it.

The thing with them is that they'd been around for years beforehand (released one of the best albums of the 80s in "Pictures Of Starving Children Sell Records"), but they were very big on anarchistic political statements, doing their own thing and releasing albums as a holistic product, and as such never really released singles, before Tubthumping, which essentially made them a one-hit wonder, while being one of their worst songs. They're still around, but not doing anything media-worthy. They had a decent song out a few years back called "Pass It Along", which sampled "Enter Sandman" amongst other things, and promoted file-sharing.

As for Andrew WK, I'm surprised no one mentioned the reality TV sensation that was "Ask Andrew WK".

I think I read in Kerrang! They're planning a new album to be released in the not too distant future... The guitarist left them and didn't the front man marry Avril Lavigne?

Yes, yes and yes.

They're minus the 'talented' guitarist (...the one that was tarred with the brush a bit). So now they're just a 3 piece. A new album is out this year. And they put out a live release either last year or the year before.

And Cumbawumba are still plugging away. But were merely a mainstream 1-hit wonder.