Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on XBLA

Corizzle

XBLA gets shellshocked Wednesday

Ubisoft brings Konami's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles arcade game to Microsoft's downloadable game service this week.

Posted Mar 12, 2007 10:00 am PT

Microsoft today announced the latest release in its Xbox Live Arcade Wednesdays program, the 1989 coin-op beat-'em-up Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Originally produced by Konami, the game is being offered on Live Arcade through an agreement with Ubisoft, the brand's current rights holder and publisher of its own line of movie-based TMNT games.

Developed by Digital Eclipse (the studio behind Live Arcade ports of Contra, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3), the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game will feature voice chat capability and online or offline cooperative multiplayer for up to four gamers.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is set to go live on XBLA this Wednesday at 2 a.m. PDT and will be available for 400 Microsoft points ($5).

I had a quick go on single player and then thought to myself "what the hell am i playing on my own for?" So i joined a 4 player co-op game. Brilliant fun, although we all sucked. We got to the Technodrome with about 2 lives each, had no chance.

Bebop can suck my balls, we wasted so many lives on him first time round, let alone the second.

Edited by BleedMe

Oh yeh, i forgot about that, i lost about 5 on that level, and i don't think i actually took out one of those helicopter things at all. It didn't help that a player dropped out the level before when he had the most lives left out of all of us, i guess he didn't like the fact that we weren't very good.

Just had my second play through online (Tiscali are lame and seem to reduce my connection speed severely, lower than 56k type of severe, at the busier times of day so i can only play online at certain times) and it was equally as fun as the first time. I got to the start of the technodrome once again and died which i'm not happy about, although this time there were 3 of us all the way through so it was a bit harder.

I was also taught a trick on the skateboard level. If you stay at the very top of the screen when the helicopters are shooting you should be able to avoid them without getting hit. When the helicopters start dropping bombs they can hit you so it's best to dodge them.

And I've come to the conclusion that Donatello is the best.

I never knew Turtles In Time came out for the arcades, it's entirely possible we could see it as well.

Hopefully The Simpsons arcade game comes out around the time The Simpsons movie does.

We really need the classic X-Men Arcade game. That game was awesome, especially if you could find it in one of the giant six-player arcade cabinets. And c'mon, MS owns Rare now, where the fuck is the Battletoads arcade game that has never gotten a proper home treatment? Or a real home version of Killer Instinct?! Although that last one probably will pose problems since Rare owns the franchise, Nintendo still published the game...

Same goes for my two favorite WWF games ever made, WrestleFest and Superstars. I'd consider killing a man to play those games again.

Edited by Zero

I think Rare owns the rights to Killer Instinct though, not Nintendo. So it would still be possible for a Killer Instinct game. Rare has said a few times that they have no plans for Battletoads as they feel it is too difficult for todays gamers.

I totally agree though, I'd kill somebody to play either of those WWF games again, but I have no idea who current owns the rights to those games, the company who originally developed/produced them is defunct. They would need the company who owns the rights to the game as well as THQ

Edited by Corizzle

Agreed with Zero on the Wrestlefest motion. That game was too much fun, and makes me wonder why WWE hasn't released a proper arcade game in years.

I don't really have access to getting my X-Box online, but I'd love to get it set up with all of these cool arcade games being released.

Edit - And how about Final Fucking Fight on the Arcade? Screw the SNES version, give me that bad ass arcade version.

Edited by VerbalPuke

I think Rare owns the rights to Killer Instinct though, not Nintendo. So it would still be possible for a Killer Instinct game. Rare has said a few times that they have no plans for Battletoads as they feel it is too difficult for todays gamers.

Oh they can make a new one, I know that. Rumors have been floating around since MS bought Rare that KI3 was in the works. But I want the original Arcade Killer Instinct on a home console... that will pose problems. Can Nintendo release it on the Virtual Console since they published it? Can Rare release it on XBLA since they own the franchise? Neither? Both? Either way, I think we can all agree that Killer Instinct 2 sucks ass. :thumbsdown:

Agreed with Zero on the Wrestlefest motion. That game was too much fun, and makes me wonder why WWE hasn't released a proper arcade game in years.

Probably because arcades are dead. They haven't had an arcade game since 2000's atrocious Royal Rumble game that you can find on the Dreamcast if you'd ever want to play that pile of shit.

Edited by Zero

Probably because arcades are dead. They haven't had an arcade game since 2000's atrocious Royal Rumble game that you can find on the Dreamcast if you'd ever want to play that pile of shit.

It's so harsh, but it's so true. :lmao:

I actually was thinking about making a topic, asking about the current popularity of arcades. I haven't been to one in years, and haven't really heard much rage over them in the same time span. Do any of you guys still go to them ever? Is the declining popularity due to advancement of the consoles for home, and obviously the price of playing games in an arcade?

It's weird that they seemingly fell off the map, when they were once a fairly attractive place to go for birthday parties, or just for general amusement.

The only arcades you'll see anymore are places like Dave & Buster's, Gameworks, and Jillians. Places that appeal to a bit of an older demographic, adults can bring the kids, but it's not like the arcade at the mall - you can eat, drink and relax and play games if you want.

Arcades are dying because you can get the same experience in home for a longer period of time. Why would I want to pay a dollar for two games of Tekken 5 when I can buy it and play it on my PS2 whenever I want? That's why the only really popular arcade games these days are the ones that you can't do at home, but even home versions of games like DDR and the introduction of the Wii are starting to kill that gimmick too.

Like I said above, there has to be something else, like food and drink, for an arcade to work today. All these places have slogans like "Eat, Drink, Party and Play." It has to be an event, or you need to turn the place into more of a bar for it to work. I think the only actual arcade game that offers an experience you can't get elsewhere is Golden Tee. The Golden Tee marks will go apeshit over that because it's offering people prizes for playing, and I think that's the gimmick you'll see in the new-age arcades now. People have to be rewarded with actual cash and prizes to play, and I'm not talking about a stuffed animal from the claw game. My buddy is a huge Golden Tee freak, he's won about $5000 playing the game and has gotten free trips to Vegas to compete in the national tournament in stuff. Look for games like that in bars and arcades, those will be the big games played.

I only play the sort of simulation arcade games. You know, like the ones where you mount a big plastic bike or a jet ski or something. Disneyland had a cool skateboarding one. But yeah, I only play 'normal' games in arcades to show off on Street Fighter or Virtua Fighter against someone's who has never played them before. :D

But yeah, arcades are dead. There's one at a cinema near me. And one at the local theme park. And one at Disneyland Paris as I said (probably more). The only one that's regularly used is the Scottish theme park one, and that's because it's full of puggies (gambling machines) as well.

But I doubt it will take very long for gambling to become part of online gaming (on consoles).

Edited by The Kraig