Nintendo Wii: Yay or Nay?

ZJ Penn

Right I've got a reservation down on a Nintendo Wii at work tomorrow, with a 10% discount. So it should only cost £162.00.

To the people who have them already, should I go for it or let it fizzle out and let someone else have it? If I don't get it, the moneys going in the PS3 fund.

So yeah, I'm looking for opinions on them really, are they a good buy? I couldn't find an official Wii thread to look others opinions up. :)

Thants.

I just started drinking cholesterol reducing yoghurts this week, so I should be fit enough to hack it. :shifty:

I'll start a Wii fitness video. I've heard mixed reviews about Red Steel, although the back of the case looks great. Then again, its not gonna look crap is it? <_<

Oh I already heard about Sonic being duff. I see people coming to the till to buy that at work and laugh, safe in the knowledge that I hid the last copy of Zelda behind Bionicle, no-one will ever look there. :pervert:

Edited by wilson316

Don't listen to Hammy, he must still be in training. Red Steel is fucking awful on all accounts. I don't have a Wii myself, but my housemate does. He's barely stopped playing Sonic since it came out last week. The multiplayer minigames are a bit weak, but the solo game is awesome he reckons. So far, to me at least, it's coming across as very gimmicky.

Wii Sports is almost like a tech demo, like Nintendo saying "look what you can do with the motion sensing controller!" Gets old after a while, but the mechanics are promising, I can imagine a virtual Tennis or MLB game being awesome. The Wii Sports games at the moment are very simple, basic mechanics really, like hit and pitch is all you do for baseball, there's no baserunning or fielding incorporated.

Warioware is great, but the implementation of multiplayer sucks (co-op or split screen or something would have been better than taking it in turns).

There just doesn't seem to be enough games out for it at the moment for it to warrant a purchase. Even my housemate, who's a massive Nintendo fanboy, is always crying about how there aren't enough games (since he completed Zelda - which is awesome - and hasn't touched it since). Once the library of games gets going, it should be well worth it. But yeah, as I said, it's a tad gimmicky as it is at the moment.

Guest We Are Robots

I am desperate to get my hands on the Wii. I already foolishly purchased Zelda and a Nunchuck thinking I'd be able to get one... ohh how silly I was... but I really don't think the lack of titles currently is going to be a problem for me. I play games slow, Zelda, Warioware, Sonic, Elebits, Super Swing Golf, that'll hold me over until Super Paper Mario and other stuff comes out.

Why the heck are Wii reviews scoring so low? I understand it's a new thing and people don't quite know how to judge it, but it's still lame.

Don't listen to Hammy, he must still be in training. Red Steel is fucking awful on all accounts. I don't have a Wii myself, but my housemate does. He's barely stopped playing Sonic since it came out last week. The multiplayer minigames are a bit weak, but the solo game is awesome he reckons. So far, to me at least, it's coming across as very gimmicky.

Wii Sports is almost like a tech demo, like Nintendo saying "look what you can do with the motion sensing controller!" Gets old after a while, but the mechanics are promising, I can imagine a virtual Tennis or MLB game being awesome. The Wii Sports games at the moment are very simple, basic mechanics really, like hit and pitch is all you do for baseball, there's no baserunning or fielding incorporated.

Warioware is great, but the implementation of multiplayer sucks (co-op or split screen or something would have been better than taking it in turns).

There just doesn't seem to be enough games out for it at the moment for it to warrant a purchase. Even my housemate, who's a massive Nintendo fanboy, is always crying about how there aren't enough games (since he completed Zelda - which is awesome - and hasn't touched it since). Once the library of games gets going, it should be well worth it. But yeah, as I said, it's a tad gimmicky as it is at the moment.

I didn't say Red Steel was good, it's just one of the four Wii games for which a "gameplay video" plays on the screen facing my face for 9 hours a day. I see that stupid clip about 100 times a day and it's ingrained in my head. I must admit that Rayman Killer Bunnies looks amusing though :D

The two guys I've worked with who have played Sonic HATE it. They say you can't stop him running forward and that it's very much on rails. Of course they may be wrong and the average rating is around a 6-7/10 but meh.

Sonic doesn't really need the Wii's help to suck though, it's sucked hard as it is for the past many, many games already. Kind-of sad :(

If it's sucking harder because of the Wii's controls, ask yourself this: if the control system was any better, obviously it would make it more enjoyable, but... do you really think the game would be enjoyable overall? Seriously now :P

Sonic doesn't really need the Wii's help to suck though, it's sucked hard as it is for the past many, many games already. Kind-of sad :(

If it's sucking harder because of the Wii's controls, ask yourself this: if the control system was any better, obviously it would make it more enjoyable, but... do you really think the game would be enjoyable overall? Seriously now :P

A friend of mine bought the Wii on the day of release. He hasn't talked about it once, ever. It may have something to do with him getting a laptop not long after that, but still, I've never heard him talk about it at all.

I got one at launch, played Zelda, loved it. Wii Sports is good if you're bored as fuck and have some peeps over. But overall the game selection is DULL! I can't stand not having anything to play on it. Had I known then what I know now, I may of not gotten it. You can literally look at my calendar and see I play it a few days and usually take average of two weeks without turning it on. :/

But from what I've played,

Zelda - Great

Red Steel - Only for Multiplayer with friends.

WarioWare - Fun, needs some changes in multi. Can be beat in a matter of hours.

Virtual Console - Great for those who like older games and would like to have them again. I personally have spent more in it than on games. Thank god for rentals.

Wii Sports - A demo more or less, but fun if you're bored and have some people over.

Wii Play - Hey it's a controller with a demo disc.

Sonic - Ok, nothing else.

Gamecube games - Hell Yes, helps when you have games left over but don't want to find the cube itself. I just wish the Wii games could use the Cube controller.

Over all, I probably wouldn't do it again cause I got a PS3 too, but if you can't afford a 360 or PS3, I give it a must have once you wrap up the PS2 games.

I have one, and it's well worth getting. Zelda rules all, of course, but i ALSO liked Red Steel. One of my friends, who ended up getting a Wii after he played mine, has basically confiscated that game from me and is on his 2nd or 3rd playing of it. Wii Sports is fun, though I have to admit i don't play it nearly as much as when I first got the Wii. However, there's not a better game to pull out when your non-Wii friends come over, as it really teaches them how to use the system and controller. I also have Excite Truck, Madden 07, and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, which I feel are all worth playing, at least. I've enjoyed them all, at any rate. And recently rented Elebits and Trauma Center, which both got played a TON by everyone who was at my house. And there's always the VC, some of the other channels, and the ability to play GC games. I'd say all of that put together, along with the list of games that are coming out for the system this year, makes it well worth a purchase.

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently trying to decide between a Wii and a 360. I mostly play Madden and GTA games, so it is looking like i'll get a 360, but the Wii looks fun. I'll end up having all three per usual though, so I imagine I can start with the 360 until the Wii has more titles.