Best Stand Up Ever

Guest Ant

Well on Channel 4 this weekend they counted down the top 100 stand up comedians of all time and i was appaled at who won. I kinda like the guy who won it but to say he is better thsn Lee Evans, Bernard Manning etc is a joke. The guy who won it was Billy Connoly

So with that being said who is everyones favourite comedian?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lee Evans is not fucking funny. he makes me want to gouge my eyes out with a fork. Ross Noble being 10 really surprised me though. His profile's really rose in the last year or so.

I'm just happy Peter Kay didn't win. :shifty: Yes he's incredibly funny, but it's mostly to do with the fact he's a 'funny bloke', especially his stand up. The first serious of Phoenix Nights is one of the greatest comedies ever produced, purely because EVERY line is basically gag after gag, but it never sounds forced. But his stand-up's left me a little underwhelmed.

I really went to get ahold of some of Paul Merton's stand-up. And that David Baddiel death records stand-up thing looked like gold.

Frank Butcher is a knobhead. That is all. I have no idea what his real name is. But he came across as a total knobhead. Though Jim Davidson despite coming across a bit of a knobhead, also came across a total legend. :shifty:

We've done this like 50 times, surely?

Eddie Izzard. Bill Hicks. Lenny Bruce. Dylan Moran. Bill Bailey.

There's your top 5 in no particular order.

Connelly was funny for a long time, but he's become self-parody lately and he's also apparently a teensy bit racist in his old age now. Peter Kay... meh. He's funny, but as a stand-up he's pretty boring. It's very 'Blackpool pier' which hasn't been funny or original in nearly 2 decades.

Kudos to whoever said Ed Byrne, although he's not quite as good as Sean Hughes or Dara O'Brien.

And PS: statistical evidence done by very important boffin types proves that if you like Lee Evans, you're twice as likely to have no friends.

From what I've seen of him, Emo Phillips seems amazing.

Lee Evans annoys the fuck out of me. Everybody seems to love his physical comedy and I hate it. The Chuckle Brothers aren't funny so why would one person doing their routine be any funnier? Jasper Carrott is funnier and he sits down for the whole set.

Edited by Iain76er

I've got no problems with Lee Evans or Jo Brand, both funny folk. I like that Stewart Lee though. Very smart guy, very funny. Also a fan of David Baddiel AND Frank Skinner, along with Bill Bailey (I hate all musical comedy massively except Bailey's) and Harry Hill, Al Murray, Steve Coogan and Eddie Izzard.

Also Chris Rock's stand up can be hilarious.

From what I've seen of him, Emo Phillips seems amazing.

Lee Evans annoys the fuck out of me. Everybody seems to love his physical comedy and I hate it. The Chuckle Brothers aren't funny so why would one person doing their routine be any funnier? Jasper Carrott is funnier and he sits down for the whole set.

For the person who said "If you like Lee Evans you have no friends"..he sold out his XL tour naitonwide in under an hour.

So thats nearly what..500,000 people without friends? Doubtful.

Jerry Sadowitz, the guy who did the "well it wasnt the Mexicans was it?!" joke about who killed Jesus both surprised me with how good they were. One had a bad rep from what I'd heard, the other is an unknown to me.

Clearly the winner is Tommy Cooper.

Billy Connoly hands down. The man makes me laugh so hard I can barley breathe. I do enjoy Lee Evans, Eddie Izzard, Bill Bailey and Jack Dee as well.

Jerry Seinfeld and Robbin Williams are damn fine comedains as well

Jerry Seinfeld

Richard Pryor

Billy Cosby

Robin Williams

Janeane Garofalo

Louis C.K.

George Wallace

Drew Carey

Norm MacDonald

Cedric The Entertainer

Bernie Mac

Wanda Sykes

Dave Attel

Kevin Pollack

Sinbad

Eddie Griffin

Jeff Foxworthy

Damon Wayans

Lewis Black

Albert Brooks

Bob Hope

Sam Kinison

Bill Hicks

Ellen Degeneres

Eddie Murphy

Rodney Dangerfield

Chris Rock

Lenny Bruce

George Carlin

George Carlin, Mitch Hedberg, Richard Pryor, Steven Wright, Bob Newhart, Redd Foxx... all fine comedians right there. I don't mind Dane Cook either.

Also, call me crazy, but I like the Blue Collar Comedy Tour. Ron White's a bit hit-or-miss, but I think Larry the Cable Guy could be really funny if he wouldn't use that cacthphrase every two minutes, and both Jeff Foxworthy and Bill Engvall are very good at what they do, especially Bill's "Here's Your Sign" bits.