Rock Band

Fanku Kaibutsu

As someone who plays both, I've noticed a few songs on Guitar Hero are actually harder on Guitar Hero than they are on real guitar. I have major trouble with Beast and the Harlot on Guitar Hero but I find it fairly easy to play on guitar.

Obviously it's the same the other way round. I can't play Message In A Bottle on real guitar at all. My hands aren't big enough. <_>

Yeah but thats the same with Guitar Hero, in fact probably more so that it doesn't matter much how good you are at actual guitar, it doesn't crossover much at all. But with the drum kit, it looks like if you have a good rhythm from actual playing, then it'll translate a lot better.

Erm, yes and no. While it is a different beast, the dexterity and agility you can pick up playing a real guitar come in mighty handy on GH (not to mention the sense of rhythm, but I digress.) It boggles me when people who play actual guitars very well struggle mightily with GH, but in the few cases I've seen, I could chalk it up to them not being used to reading anything but tab or having very little internal timing.

Alas, different upstrokes for different folks.

Yeah but thats the same with Guitar Hero, in fact probably more so that it doesn't matter much how good you are at actual guitar, it doesn't crossover much at all. But with the drum kit, it looks like if you have a good rhythm from actual playing, then it'll translate a lot better.

Erm, yes and no. While it is a different beast, the dexterity and agility you can pick up playing a real guitar come in mighty handy on GH (not to mention the sense of rhythm, but I digress.) It boggles me when people who play actual guitars very well struggle mightily with GH, but in the few cases I've seen, I could chalk it up to them not being used to reading anything but tab or having very little internal timing.

There's very little similarity in playing Guitar Hero and playing a real guitar, what with chord shapes, multiple strings, more than five frets, styles of strumming etc.

In terms of what you stated, most definitely (although, after playing many an Incubus song, the range of motion your hands can acquire practicing those songs come in mighty handy on GH2.) However, after learning a few solos and some of John Frusciante's latter-day RHCP work, I believe that the work you do playing runs and riffs not based on chords translates very well to the GH guitar.

Perhaps a better way to explain it is to throw an example or two out. The vast majority of the RHCP's "Can't Stop" can give you extremely good practice on your speed should you opt (or, in my small hand's cases, be required) to play it walking down the fretboard. This exercise in finger speed -- for lack of a better term -- definitely carries over to something like Buckethead's "Jordan" or "Thunderhorse" on GH2 (generally any song that requires fast fret work.)

Another good example actually comes in the form of The Slip's "Even Rats" (and, to a lesser extent, Modest Mouse's "The World At Large"). Learning to play the song on an actual guitar has given me great practice on songs like "Trogdor", which can require some quick chord changes in order to make the song sound like the studio version.

Two things

People Shout at Nintendo for going different wais with controllers?!

Besides your PS2 you need a game and at least one big expensive controller, if you want to play it with your real friends (haha ;) ) you need even more expensive controllers and a lot of space…. You guys know that you can get an AWESOME Marshal starter kit with Electric Guitar, Guitar stand, Guitar bag and amp for just around 300 Euro? It´s not that i don´t like the playlist - but if you just invest a little more time in training than you do in playing games you can play every song you want on it.

(+real guitare = girlkiller, rrrRRRr)

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed playing that one arosmith game when I was young, but that did come with all you need for the normal price of a game and after a couple of day you were finished. This is an insane amount of money wasted on being alone and playing on the internet to gain more and more skill without ever being able to create real music. I can see the marketing concept working but it’s sad in so many ways… just puts our society more in a bad light.

Two things

People Shout at Nintendo for going different wais with controllers?!

Besides your PS2 you need a game and at least one big expensive controller, if you want to play it with your real friends (haha ;) ) you need even more expensive controllers and a lot of space…. You guys know that you can get an AWESOME Marshal starter kit with Electric Guitar, Guitar stand, Guitar bag and amp for just around 300 Euro? It´s not that i don´t like the playlist - but if you just invest a little more time in training than you do in playing games you can play every song you want on it.

(+real guitare = girlkiller, rrrRRRr)

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed playing that one arosmith game when I was young, but that did come with all you need for the normal price of a game and after a couple of day you were finished. This is an insane amount of money wasted on being alone and playing on the internet to gain more and more skill without ever being able to create real music. I can see the marketing concept working but it’s sad in so many ways… just puts our society more in a bad light.

@Media 2.0

Guitar is a Skill, you can learn it as you can to draw, paint, type… whatever. There is no such thing as talent, only an amount of skill you have already gotten without knowingly learning it. (Unless you have a mental or physical malfunction that disallows it of cause, but there are even people that can paint better with their feet than everyone on EWB can with their hands so don’t say you can’t do something just because it did not work after a week – I am always amazed how much I can do if I just invest some time in it)

And like I said, Marshal Starter Set with brilliant beginner contend only around 300€ in Germany. You spend twice as much on your console so don’t tell me you could not do it.

As for the party value, I can’t really see Guitar Hero do it better than any other short rounded game (Tony Hawk, Katamari Damancy ect.) - I see sing star much more as a party game. (who sits home alone doing karaoke? O.O) But I don’t mind the Guitar Hero game anywhere near this much.

The problem I see with this Band game is that it seems to need a full band. So there are no party’s at all unless you own the whole equipment and have room to put it in. It’s merely an Online Multiplayer and that’s were I see the social Problem… it’s dragging another marked of nerds into the MMo”RPG” and you know that people will lose their lives in this Like it happened before with all the Fantasy and SciFie nerds.

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

Guest jaythefisherman

I'm with Matzat on this one. I play guitar, and have never found the appeal of Guitar Hero. My highlight of playing the game was playing Motley Crue, and I can play most of their songs on a real guitar anyway.

I'm with Matzat on this one. I play guitar, and have never found the appeal of Guitar Hero. My highlight of playing the game was playing Motley Crue, and I can play most of their songs on a real guitar anyway.

But that's BECAUSE you play guitar. For people like me who can't play the guitar, it's fun to be able to pick up the controller and just play without having to spend an age practising.

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

But that's BECAUSE you play guitar. For people like me who can't play the guitar, it's fun to be able to pick up the controller and just play without having to spend an age practising.