Songs that rip off other songs

Crybaby Bunting

Bittersweet Symphony / That Rolling Stones song I don't care about.

Also, a little off topic, for me Mechanix was a lot more personal. With two headphones in and the song at full blast, you almost felt involved in it. TFH to me seemed really, really boring compared to Mechanix, which actually made me feel like it was an excellent song. TFH bored me a little, at least Mustaine put some passion into it.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best part about that is the Rolling Stones are the only ones that make any money off this after beating the Verve in a court battle. Ouch, sucks if you're a one-hit wonder.

It's a good thing The Verve aren't, then.

Green Day's "She's A Rebel" is a total rip-off of Nirvana's "Molly's Lips"

NEVER call that song "Nirvana's" again. It's a Vaselines song.

The best part about that is the Rolling Stones are the only ones that make any money off this after beating the Verve in a court battle. Ouch, sucks if you're a one-hit wonder.

It's a good thing The Verve aren't, then.

Just what I came in to say, glad someone got thier first.

Edited by Liam Byrne

The Red Hot Chili Peppers, as much as I love them, 'borrow' a lot.

The obvious one being "Dani California" and "Mary Jane's Last Dance" by Tom Petty, but then there's also the opening of "Can't Stop", which sounds exactly like the opening of "Eternal Life" by Jeff Buckley. There's another song, I'm thinking it's on Stadium Arcadium, that to me sounds a lot like a Stone Temple Pilots song ("Sour Girl" or "Interestate Love Song", I think), but I can't recall which song it was.

I can't believe I forgot "Can't Stop", that's such a blatant steal from "Eternal Life", and even though it's a fairly generic-sounding riff, John Frusciante has gone on record time and time again saying he's a huge Buckley fan, so there's practically no possibility it could have been accidental.

That song "Butterfly" by Crazy Town rips off the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I can't remember which song, but it was on one of their earliest albums. It's an exact copy of the guitar and bass work. It's ridiculous to me that a band can get away with that and make so much money off that song.

"Warning" by Green Day and "Picturebook"by The Beatles. Very similar tune.

Also the guitar/drum work in "Because of You" by Nickelback sounds like a song off "St. Anger" by Metallica, can't remember which one though.