Transfer Thread

ONO

Hargreaves completes Man Utd move

England midfielder Owen Hargreaves has sealed his move from Bayern Munich to Manchester United.

The 26-year-old, who is believed to have cost about £17m, has signed a four-year deal with United.

"It's been a long time coming - it was probably the worst-kept secret in football," he told the club website.

"I think it's great to finally reach a positive conclusion. Especially after all the time and energy that has been put in from everyone involved."

Hargreaves praised Bayern following a decade with the German giants.

"I would never have thought that I would move to Germany," he said.

"I am very happy that Bayern gave me such an opportunity. I wish them all the best. The last 10 years were a dream."

The midfielder won four Bundesliga titles with the club as well as the 2001 Champions League and World Club Championship.

However, his final season with Bayern was plagued by injury and ended in disappointment, as the Munich side finished fourth in the Bundesliga and missed out on Champions League qualification.

Hargreaves sat out four months of the season because of a broken leg and went on to play in only nine league games.

The England international said he was hoping his move to Old Trafford would provide him with more honours.

"I set lots of targets over the last decade and I have also fulfilled them. I expect that to continue," he added.

"A new era is starting for me now and I hope to achieve even more. I don't have any concrete aims, but you have got to win everything at United."

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They've signed him on the basis that he had a good world cup, wouldn't be surprised if he flopped badly, that being said I'm a fan of OH and have wanted him in England for a few years now.

Since I can't stand Man United, I really hope this doesn't work out for them. Though I am eager to see how he'll fit in. And I do like Hargreaves so I'd be pleased if he did do well, as long as the rest of the team did badly :shifty:

They've signed him on the basis that he had a good world cup, wouldn't be surprised if he flopped badly, that being said I'm a fan of OH and have wanted him in England for a few years now.

So Ferguson said "He had a good World Cup lets sign him". What a load of crap. Hargreaves is a good player. He's being signed because he is a good player.

Were they interested in him before the world cup? Not really, I believe Tottenham were the only premiership club who wanted him; everyone else thought he was a waste of time. He had a good world cup and everyone in the media started parading about how he's a great player, all of a sudden United want him, then he plays 10 games in a season, so you can hardly say "he proved himself after the world cup too". I could be wrong, but if United were after him pre-World Cup, they'd have got him far far cheaper, instead they waited for his price to increase. :blink:

So Ferguson said "He had a good World Cup lets sign him". What a load of crap. Hargreaves is a good player. He's being signed because he is a good player.

e

Were they interested in him before the world cup? Not really, I believe Tottenham were the only premiership club who wanted him; everyone else thought he was a waste of time. He had a good world cup and everyone in the media started parading about how he's a great player, all of a sudden United want him, then he plays 10 games in a season, so you can hardly say "he proved himself after the world cup too". I could be wrong, but if United were after him pre-World Cup, they'd have got him far far cheaper, instead they waited for his price to increase. :blink:

How do you know that? :rolleyes:

e

How do you know that? :rolleyes:

That pretty much indicates that I don't know it, but it's only logical.

Ferguson's been an admirer of Hargreaves for years, well before the World Cup. It was just inevitable that the attention would become so public after a good World Cup.

Apparently I stand corrected, I don't remember it though, the only English team I ever recall being interested in Hargreaves was Tottenham about 3 years back, I think Rangers or Celtic wanted him too, but I can't remember Fergie being after him, maybe he was. :ohwell:

Edited by - Matt -

Edited by Lost Soul

Even if the interest was only from the World Cup, they've not signed him right after it, they've waited it out and let him play at Bayern Munich too. I doubt they saw he had a good World Cup, and then decided to sign him, but let him play on for Bayern, and then just launch their bid.

They've obviously been assessing how well he's been playing at Bayern as well, and in fairness, even when he was poor for England, he was still solid for Bayern. In fact, I'm pretty sure most Bayern fans are disappointed to see him go because he's been such a consistently solid player for them.

Just because prior to the World Cup, he was pretty ineffective for England, doesn't mean people weren't interested him before that. People just realised that he was a quality player after a brilliant World Cup for England.

Oh fuck off, I'm not arguing with you lot twisting my words.

And Lost Soul, maybe I'm wrong, but I can't remember any English team other than Spurs ever being linked with Hargreaves before the World Cup, the media were always on his back saying he wasn't good enough to play for England.

Edit: Ace, they launched a bid last summer right after the world cup which didn't go through for some reason or another, and then I think they tried again in January (not too sure about the January part, but they definitely were in talks last summer). I know he was good for Bayern, it's why I liked him, I just don't remember anyone (other than Spurs) being reported to be interested in him.

Edited by - Matt -

And Lost Soul, maybe I'm wrong, but I can't remember any English team other than Spurs ever being linked with Hargreaves before the World Cup, the media were always on his back saying he wasn't good enough to play for England.

Which is why the mainstream media never linked him with an English club. It makes them look silly when they say "Hargreaves is shit and must be dropped", only to report that United, Spurs and whoever else want to buy him.

I suppose, but you'd still expect a club to launch a bid if they wanted him, not wait until his price tag increased.

Which is why the mainstream media never linked him with an English club. It makes them look silly when they say "Hargreaves is shit and must be dropped", only to report that United, Spurs and whoever else want to buy him.