2007-2008 NBA Thread

Yeah, I agree. But I think they're good enough that they'll take advantage of the situation if they play a team that gets sloppy (Dallas) or a team that lacks heart (Dallas) or a team that falls apart in a close game (Dallas) or a team that doesn't really play like a team (Denver), they might pull off a first round victory.

Either way, there's no pressure on this Rockets team, so maybe T-Mac might actually deliver this time around.

Edited by thug

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ahh... the rockets arent winning anything and neither is the lakers. Kobe's team has no playoff experience. just him and Odom. i say its the Suns this year. look at all that playoff experience on that team! STAT is unstopable, nash can find someone who is open with a blindofld on, and SHAQ DADDY, thats all i need to say. look for suns vs. new orleans with the suns in 6 games.

Ugh. No.

Shaq is WAY passed his prime and the Suns actually hurt themselves making that trade by giving up Marion. They completely changed the dynamic of that team (a team, which IMO, very well could've actually done it this year) just because the Lakers went out and got Gasol. The Suns say otherwise but they left talk with the Heat but after the Lakers trade, went back to it after the weekend.

And playoff experience means zilch when no team can match up with the Lakers size. Once Bynum's back, Gasol can stop playing Center and play his more natural Power Forward position, so he'll probably be better on the defensive end, matchup-wise. That and you're forgetting about a certain Derek Fisher. (Y)

You have a case in New Orleans but they have even less playoff experience than the Lakers so I don't understand how they're lack of it doesn't factor in for you.

But I just have this feeling that it'll be a typical Lakers-Spurs West Championship series.

they've won 7 in a row and Amare stats have improve, this whole team has improved so i dont know how you can say that the trade hurt the Suns. im amazed. its working. they are the hottest team right now. in the case of lakers vs suns you have (when bynum is back)

gasol vs amare

bynum vs shaq

kobe vs raja

odom vs hill

farmar? vs nash

look at those matchups. i think they favor heavenly toward the suns. add diaw in there when shaq is out. tis great.

derek fisher goes in where?

new orleans does have less playoff experience, but they play in the east. you have to factor that in.

Uhhh...the Hornets play (and have the best record) in the West.

And Amare plays horrible, horrible defense and Shaq is nowhere near as effective as he once was and is basically a nonfactor once Bynum's back. It's true that Nash probably has a leg up on whoever the Lakers play at PG.

Not to mention that, again, the Suns can't match up with the Lakers size. Also add to the fact that the Lakers have probably one of (if not the) deepest teams in the league and their bench outweighs the Suns as a whole. I just don't see how the Suns will be effective, defensively, against the Lakers because that's what it'll come down to. The Lakers can match the Suns point for point, but the Suns can't match the Lakers defensively.

Edited by Autopilot

cpnfused the hornet for the magic haha i always do.

how can you say that STAT plays horrible. he was the West player of the week last week. he had 38 points against houston, and 13 rebounds. haha. thats crazy for you to say that.

just because shaq isnt in his prime, doesnt mean he cant defend and guard. this team IS winning.

And they still can't beat the Lakers.

Saying that the Lakers don't have playoff experience is laughable. This is the same team that, while CONSIDERABLY undermanned, as basically a one man team, took Pheonix to their limit in two first round wars the last two years. No, they don't have a playoff series win since 2004, but this team does have playoff experience. Even Gasol has been to the playoffs, although Memphis didn't have much success.

You can think that the Shaq trade puts you over the top somehow, but 10 and 10 isn't scaring me too much. They made the team less dynamic, less athletic, and older. Those aren't really good things. You can say they've gone on a nice little run, and they have, but Houston won how many straight and no one's picking them to win the NBA Finals.

Keep in mind, I'm not picking LA to win the championship. I'm a Laker fan, and would love to see it. Think they have a very nice shot, but next year is really the year I see them doing it. I'll be picking San Antonio until someone defeats them in the playoffs. Hell, unless Pheonix gets Dallas or Houston in the first round, I don't see them winning a series. Los Angeles, San Antonio, Utah, New Orleans, and Golden State would all beat them.

how can you say that STAT plays horrible. he was the West player of the week last week. he had 38 points against houston, and 13 rebounds. haha. thats crazy for you to say that.

I was never questioning, as a whole, whether or not Amare is a good player, but he's not that good defensively. He's a monster on offense, but not so good on defense.

And I don't know about the Spurs, DMN, it's their off year. <_<

I refuse to pick a team that was just thrown together to win the Finals. The teams in the West have all been together, or, at least, mostly together, for a few years now. Boston hasn't proven anything other than three good players can have you dominate a really weak conference.

Tell that to their 23-5 record against Western Conference teams. <_<

In all seriousness, I think the Celtics have a decent shot of at least making it to the Finals. In a seven game series, a Western Conference team (or hell, even the Pistons) would kill them due to their lack of depth. Bringing in Sam Cassell doesn't exactly scream "finding the lost piece to the puzzle" in my opinion. That's been the biggest thing surrounding them all season - they have three good players, and... an average team. Rajon Rondo, while he has played exceptionally well this season on a team that desperately needs a more experienced point guard, may very well be their downfall in the playoffs if he's giving up 20-30 points and 10-15 assists to their opponent's point guard. I wouldn't be surprised if Chauncey Billups ran wild on him in the Eastern Conference finals.

On another note, I'm quite impressed with the Sixers. They've really turned the team around, and while I know they're not going to make any big impact on the Eastern side of things this year, I wouldn't be surprised if they clinched the sixth seed and gave the Magics a run for they money. Possible upset?

I can really see the Pistons being the strongest contention against any West team, even more then the Celtics. They've been playing great ball this year, and I'm looking for them to make a big run this year after what happened to them against Lebron James the Cavaliers.

As for the West, I really don't see anything special from the Suns that's going to get them to the Finals this year. I see maybe a second round advancement if they fall to sixth and play the Rockets, although I wouldn't necessarily rule them out to beat the Jazz. The Rockets need to prove to me that then can make it out the first round this year before I give them any shot of making it anywhere in the playoffs. As mentioned, despite doing well so far without him, not having Yao Ming is going to really hurt them if they go against teams like the Lakers or Spurs, or hell, even the Suns, Jazz and Hornets.

I see the top four teams in the West being the Lakers, Spurs, Hornets and Warriors. Hornets lack of experience in the playoffs may prove to be their downfall, but I wouldn't count them out just yet. Warriors, as proven last year, can always turn the heat up, and I'd love to see a Lakers/Warriors series (hopefully another bullshit call like last night won't keep them from getting a big win <_<). Spurs, as always, is a team not to be slept on, even if it is their off year.

My prediction will be the Lakers/Spurs or Lakers/Hornets in the WCF. Possibly throw in the Jazz. It all depends on the seeding, to be honest. Lakers would really have an advantage (even if they have to play the Warriors in the first round) if they can lock in first place this year, as I'm pretty sure they can defeat a fourth or fifth seed with no problem (if it ends up being the Jazz or the Suns). Barring the Spurs clinching that fourth or fifth seed and the Lakers stay in first, or the Lakers stay in second and Spurs move up to fourth or fifth, I really see the Lakers/Spurs being the WCF match-up this year.

Word is Nene is going to try and play 5 minutes tonight, I really hope he can bounce back. Having a malignant testicular tumor removed and then undergoing a dose of chemo is something that would drain you obviously, but all the hope in the world he turns out fine and can get back into playing shape.

• 3 weeks later...