Pogues/Shane MacGowan

MalaCloudy Black

So becasue of this I'm totally digging Shane MacGowan, but this is the only song I've ever heard. Your job, EWB? Boj Rouy, BWE? Reccomend me some Pogues or Shane MacGowan material I need to check out.

I know a lot of people like to cite If I Should Fall From Grace With God as their number one smash album, I personally prefer Red Roses For Me. It's their first album, and I've always found it to be my favorite album by the Pogues. I enjoy both albums quite a bit, but Red Roses For Me has more of my favorite songs. Really, any album is worth listening to.

My personal favorite Pogues songs are Streams of Whiskey, Bottle of Smoke, Boys of County Hell, Wild Cats of Kilkenny, The Battle of Brisbane, and Metropolis.

Since you also asked for Shane MacGowan, I'd suggest the Nipple Erectors/Nips. They were sort of a 77 style punk band before he joined the Pogues. They're a lot of fun and definitely worth checking out if you can find them.

And song suggestions from them would be King of the Bop, All the Time In the World, So Pissed Off, and Happy Song.

Oh and watch this video of "Streams of Whiskey" because it is brilliant.

The Nips are fun, as VP said, but not really indicative of what Shane O' is all about...they're nice pop-punk fare, and damn good at it, but it's not even a hint and how beautiful his lyrics and music could be. Pogues-wise, you can't go wrong with any of what VP recommended, but there's a lot of mellower stuff worth a listen too; Rainy Night In Soho, Lullaby Of London, Thousands Are Sailing (not a MacGowan composition, but fantastic all the same)....there's not a lot they did with Shane that's not worth listening to, to be honest.

His solo stuff's a little more hit and miss, but mostly fantastic. "The Snake" is a brilliant album, and worth listening to from start to finish, and some other tracks like "Cracklin' Rosie", "Paddy Rolling Stone", "Paddy Public Enemy #1" and "More Pricks Than Kicks" are decent enough, even if they are treading the same old ground.

As far as I'm concerned, if Shane's touched it, it's magic.

As far as I'm concerned, if Shane's touched it, it's magic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxCM9dellRs

DOUBLE magic!

That's one of my all-time favourite videos...it's just like an awkward drunken karaoke at the end of a staff party...the uncomfortable handshake from "I see friends shaking hands..." is beautiful.