Football Manager 2008

Dan

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've just suffered my worst ever result in Managergial Games. Playing as Arsenal, 11 points clear at the top & still unbeaten in Feburary. Wigan come to visit & hammer my full first team 7-1!!! I had my head in my hands as we went three down inside 20 minutes. :(

Thats put me in a bad mood (Rightfully so) so i have turned it off for today.

I lost a friendly 11-0. I was laughing at my own team by the end, mind you I didn't have any one signed by then. Predicted to finish bottom we've drew both our Serie C2/A league matches 1-1, and won all three of our Serie C Cup group matches, 3-1 against Ivrea and Cuneo and 2-1 against non-league Imperia.

Losing players to injury rapidly is annoying me. As is Football Managers awesome fixture scheduling.

Ivrea in the Cup

Cuneo in the league.

Cuneo in the Cup.

Pro Vercelli in the league.

Imperia (non league) in the Cup.

Pro Vercelli in the Cup.

Fucking spread it out a bit. This always happens. I remember on FM07 I think, or i may have been FM08 - I played the same team 3 times in 4 fixtures I believe.

Rekindled my love for this game starting with the England job. Started well with a 2-0 friendly win against Germany, Bent and Carrick getting the goals. I then went on to get pretty much the same results as McClaren did in the Euro 2008 qualifiers, beating Israel and Russia 3-0 at home, Estonia 2-0, losing 2-1 in Moscow, (a 3-1 friendly win in Austria) and getting a 2-2 draw at home to Croatia in the final game. Fortunately that extra point was enough to take us through on head-to-heads so we're going to Euro 2008!

David James then promptly retired after the Croatia game, after being my number one choice and playing every game (excluding the Russia loss, where he was injured and Carson deputized). So now it's a matter of hoping that Paul Robinson will be good enough, or that Terry and Ferdinand will deal with it before it gets back to him.

Attacking wise I've tried quite a few different partnerships: Rooney and Bent, Rooney and Johnson, Rooney and Crouch, Rooney and Ashton. Ashton seems to be the one who I'll stick with for the European championships, scoring three goals in the two games I played him in (the Austria and Czech friendlies).

Wales and Northern Ireland also got through to the European championships in a minor miracle, at the expense of Czech Republic and Spain respectively. My draw for Euro 2008 group C is: England, France, Switzerland and Northern Ireland. Not a bad draw, but France will obviously be tough, Switzerland will have the home advantage and Northern Ireland will be on the look for a big upset. Wales got Austria, Germany and Holland. Yeah, they're fucked.

And my World Cup qualifying draw (if I survive the Euro championships with my job intact!) is Greece, Belgium, Malta, Kazakhstan and Slovakia. Looks a surprisingly good draw, with only Greece looking like they could cause a problem.

Goalkeeping troubles? Robert Green has been consistantly awesome for me since the start of the England job.

And Bent is some kind of goal machine, seriously he's scored around 15 in 8 games, add that to Owens 8 in 4 games and the Euro qualifications were a breeze.

Only problem is around 2012 or something where all of the starting team (bar several youngsters) have retired or had their stats shot to pieces. But by then there's some Derby midfielder who's awesome at every set piece.

Edited by The General

It's harder here in Norn Iron.

Liechten and Latvia were dispatched in 2 - 1 victories, and Iceland had me on the ropes, and were 2 - 0 up. In the last ten minutes we ended up with a draw. Superb fightback.

Problem is, now Spain are second and we're third. Bugger.

I now hate Liechtenstein because I was trying to sign a player called 'Clemente' for my Canavese team. He went to another team on deadline day, when we played said team he curled in a 30 yard freekick slap-bang in the corner and despite being 5'7" rose above my defending God Salvatore Fresi ("he just doesn't lose headers") is usually his post-match description and banged in a header. We lost 2-0.

However I got through to the first round of the Serie C cup where I lost to Serie C1 team Lucchesse. I was predicted to get bitchslapped, I lost 2-1 at home and then drew 2-2 away with them scoring an injury time goal to put them through. Gutted. Meanwhile in the Cup League qualifiers before hand I was 2-0 down to Pro Vercelli before scoring in the 88th, 89th and 90th minutes to give us a 3-2 win despite being down to 10 men due to injury with an understrength team due to San Marino call ups and big injuries to star players.

Suck on that comeback Arsenal.

So, I took on the hotseat that is Newcastle United :shifty;

Bit bored from my games and fancied something of a challenge. So, I took over a Newcastle team with injuries and whatnot. Got a pretty big budget as well, although it meant I took a gamble and said I would achieve European qualification through league position, so I'll have to ensure we can finish 5th. Now, looking at previous results (even though it's a game :shifty: ) and seasons, it's roughly between 58 to 65 points to achieve 5th, so my target for the season is 60 and we can go from there.

As for the season, I'm looking to improve three vital areas:

DEFENCE: Clearly we need back-up. I mean, Edgar will be good in a few years and Cacapa is not bad, but we need extra cover. An extra Right-Back to cover Bebe over Carr, as he's getting on. We also need a left-back as Jose Enrique isn't near the level required. Already I'm looking at Timothy Atoube and have picked up Petri Panasen and Gonzola Pineda. There's a young kiddie called Raulen from Brazil who, at 4.3m (and providing he gets his work permit) is a steal. Plays for Pontre Preda or whatever it is. Phenomenal right-back.

:STRENGTH-IN-DEPTH Well, as cleared above, just adding to the squad. This applies to midfield, as we're in the process of taking Lucho Gonzales from Porto and I managed to pick up a young kid from Tranmere called Dave Wilson who plays all over the park. Young (only 15) but pretty well developed in his mental stats as much as his technical skills and he's got a good level of fitness as well. Time will tell if he performs, but I'm liking his chances already. Emre and Butt I'm happy with. Barton will be back too, so that's alright. Geremi I'm not sure about and may let go in a seasons time. In terms of the wings, I'm going to apply a bit of a Chelsea 5-4-1/3-4-3 formation (ala Mourinho), and have recruited that eternal prospect Jefferson Farfan to hit my left wing/outside striker role. Him and Milner will occupy those wings and bring the ball into the center and act as support and additional strikers for Michael Owen or whoever comes in. And, regarding the goalkeepers, Given is injured and luckily due to the data update from 8.0.2, Tim Krul isn't on loan. So, Harper is gone and Krul will get brought into the team. Given won't last forever and he's got to get the experience. Plus, Fraser Forster can back him up as well.

STRIKER: Now, this is a tricky one. I'm tempted to sign a proper, strong striker. However, when Owen returns I wouldn't need one as I'd then have Viduka, Owen, Martins and a nice youth prospect called Fabio Zamberla, a young Italian already in the youth ranks. However, Martins has the clause to be bought out for 13m and Viduka and Owen are getting on, so while Farfan can fill the striker role, what I may do is find a young prospect again and integrate him into the side for the net few seasons. Ameobi won't last either and will be gone soon. I may either sell him on or let him go out on Loan until the contract ends. I'd rather sell him, but I'll have to see. Steven Carr is in a similar boat. Harper too.

As said, the formation is 5-4-1/3-4-3 and the starting team as it stands (pending permits and whatnot):

GK: T.Krul/S.Given

CB: P.Panasen

CB: S.Taylor

CB: Miranda (from Santos - good CB)

LWB: T.Atoube/G.Pineda

RWB: Raulen/H.Bebe

CM: L.Gonzales/Emre

CM: J.Barton/N.Butt

AML: J.Farfan/D.Duff

AMR: J.Milner/J.Farfan

ST: M.Owen/O.Martins/M.Viduka/F.Zamberla

So, let's see how it goes. Pre-Season has been promising with good performances and results. However, it's been lower class opposition, so the real test comes in the season. I was going to cancel the pre-season games and go against tougher opposition. However, I wanted to try and not disrupt the side so much and allow the team time to gel, so I kept the games as they are and will go for good performances and fitness before the season begins.

As stated before, the target is 60pts+ and good cup placing too. If I can win a cup, I'll make my effort to win the FA Cup. The Carling Cup is all well and good, but the FA Cup gives the players more to fight for in the future.

Let's get stuck in!

Sweden found me out, with a 3 - 1 win. Denmark fell to a Hughes header, superb 1 - 0 win.

A point behind Spain.. with.. Spain my remaining game.

The task is huge. My strikers have been so poor all qualifying, too.

Spain..

16 shots.

5 on target.

11 off.

45% possession.

6 corners.

14 free kicks.

9 offsides.

1 goal dissallowed.

0 goals scored.

Norn Iron..

3 shots.

3 on target.

0 off.

55% possession.

1 corner.

25 free kicks.

1 offside.

1 goal scored.

From our only corner, in the 76th minute.

QUALIFCATION IS SWEET!

Worship me.

Edited by SUMmation

Sweden found me out, with a 3 - 1 win. Denmark fell to a Hughes header, superb 1 - 0 win.

A point behind Spain.. with.. Spain my remaining game.

The task is huge. My strikers have been so poor all qualifying, too.

Spain..

16 shots.

5 on target.

11 off.

45% possession.

6 corners.

14 free kicks.

9 offsides.

1 goal dissallowed.

0 goals scored.

Norn Iron..

3 shots.

3 on target.

0 off.

55% possession.

1 corner.

25 free kicks.

1 offside.

1 goal scored.

From our only corner, in the 76th minute.

QUALIFCATION IS SWEET!

Worship me.

*worships*

Fucking Luis Fabiano. Plays shit for 3 months, so I put him away for a while. I give him 15 minutes in a cup match against West Brom and what does he do? Fucking hattrick. In 10 minutes. Play him in the league and he's back to being the slow, lazy shit that he always was. No wonder Sevilla gave him up for $5m. I can't get a break with strikers, Stokes, Lita, Defoe, all huge flops. Bianchi's the only decent one, with something like 16 in 30 games. But he gets injured in every game so he sucks.

Elano has been unhappy for like a year now. Fiorentina and Bayern wanted him but neither was willing to pay $30m, so he became unhappy ever since. Which has turned him from my best player to crap.

Damn it, why can't I ever get back into this game?

Started a new game as Man Utd as a piss around game before I go back to my Newcastle game.

It's awesome how many decisions have blatently gone in my way: beating Spurs with a goal 10 yards offside, beating Chelsea from a goal 6 mins into injury time (scheduled time 4 mins), hacking players down without any reprocussions and watching other teams players getting send off for gentle nudges.

I've been told to win the Premiership within two years, I dont think I'll last in the club for that long. I sold Rooney to Real Madrid for £13m and with that bought some Halil Antrope (or whatever he's called) and Barry Ferguson.

Putting a sub-par Turkish player as a lone striker and still getting results = addictive

Man, heartbreaking defeats are shit :(

Firstly, as Tottenham in my first Cup final in the five years I've been there, verse Portsmouth. They've got 3 of my ex-players (Defoe, Dawson and Kusczcak) and generally have a good team. Goes to extra time at 3-3 and then it's 4-4 before they score a later winner through Defoe getting his hattrick :(

Then as Ireland, who I've been managing since just prior to the Euro 2012 qualifiers. Got second with them in a group that included England, Greece and Albania. I was in first and undefeated, including a 2-1 win over England at Wembley, before losing my last 3 matches to finish 2nd. In the championships I get Italy, Ukraine and Wales in my group. Lose to Italy 1-0 after Stephen Hunt got sent off, beat Wales 3-2 and then drew with Ukraine 2-2, after leading 2-0 with 3 minutes to go, to get through on 'goals scored'. Then I take on Turkey in the Quarters, it's 1-1 at halftime before McGeady (probably my best all tournament) gets injured. Then Sabri does a super-fucking jinking run down the right flank and blasts the ball from the outside edge of the box to make it 2-1 :@

The supporters were still happy at least that I got that far, but I was so close to a semi's spot :(

Fucking Luis Fabiano. Plays shit for 3 months, so I put him away for a while. I give him 15 minutes in a cup match against West Brom and what does he do? Fucking hattrick. In 10 minutes. Play him in the league and he's back to being the slow, lazy shit that he always was. No wonder Sevilla gave him up for $5m. I can't get a break with strikers, Stokes, Lita, Defoe, all huge flops. Bianchi's the only decent one, with something like 16 in 30 games. But he gets injured in every game so he sucks.

Elano has been unhappy for like a year now. Fiorentina and Bayern wanted him but neither was willing to pay $30m, so he became unhappy ever since. Which has turned him from my best player to crap.

Damn it, why can't I ever get back into this game?

Defoe's been a flop?

Is he like, on the pitch? I think that's the only requirement to have Defoe score 30 a season.

I can't get into a game on this thing. It took me a short while with 05 and 07, but I settled down with Spurs and Liverpool respectively on those. I've started games with almost all the Premier League sides, AC Milan, Valencia and Real Madrid, and none of them have stuck. Milan was going okay until I lost 2-0 to Sevilla in the Supercup despite dominating the game and them having 2 shots total, the cunts. I was enjoying my Birmingham game until it went to shit and I got relegated, fuck playing in the Championship :shifty:. And my Arsenal and Liverpool games were going well too, until I had a ridiculous run of results in both of them. I might start a game as Barca, just for kicks, and maybe Man City if that doesn't work out <_<

Arsenal and Chelsea are machines on this thing! I started a Utd game, and of my first 14 matches i've won 10 (including 2-1 away at Chelsea), drawn 3, lost 1 and i'm still 2 points behind Chelsea and 3 behind Arsenal. I hope they start dropping some points soon, i've got Arsenal at home next game and i'm already looking at it as a must win.

On the plus side, i've finally found a formation that works for me. First time i've played 3 at the back with wing backs and it seems to work both home and away. I've also had to do this without Ronaldo, who's out for 5 months with a broken leg... and Rooney, who is enduring his second 1 month injury spell of the season.

The Champions League is bugging me too. Lost away at Anderlecht in my opening game, because I had to field a reserve side due to injuries. So much so, that John Fleck (16 year old signed from Rangers), played the full 90 minutes (not to mention the 3 games after that). We then went and drew at home with Sporting and Sevilla, before thumping Sevilla 3-0 away from home. On the plus side, other results have gone my way and 4 points from the last 2 games should see us qualify.

Anyway, enjoying it so far... Normally with Utd games I get annoyed when I lose, because I expect to be dominating. But this game is so damn hard that i'm happy to be where I am.