Orb's Mass Debate #1

Robsturgh

So, I decided I needed a catchy title for this string of threads I plan on doing. While it isn't catchy, you'd have to agree its bitchin. Anyways, onto the show.

Super Famicom November 21, 1990 (Japan)

Known as the Super Famicom in Japan the system is basically the same as the UK version excpet that it runs at 60Mhz and has territorial lockout. Controllers have smaller leads and have super Famicom written on them. It cost 32,000 yen when released and came with 2 controllers and Super Mario World.

SNES US September 1991 (USA)

Released in the US with a new case design. Games came on different shaped carts to the Famicom verison being more rectangular. Also later released as a slimmer version, bit like a small UK shape but basically the same hardware with the Rf output removed.

SNES UK June 1992 (Europe)

Not released in Europe until 1992 the European version came in the same style case as the Famicom. Games available at release included Super Mario world 3 and F-Zero. PAL consoles play games approx 16% slower than an NTSC one, with larger black borders at the top and bottom of the screen. We can supply or fit PAL systems with a switch to allow them to play like a US console at full-speed and in full-screen

snesm.gif

Megadrive Version 1 1988

Sega beat Nintendo to the 16-bit market with the megadrive and the machine established itself as being the cool machine to own. Games were notably more violent that the SNES, with less influence over of what was released there are loads of average games amongst the classics.

Megadrive Version 2 1989

Headphone jack removed, A/V port changed to a custom multi out port that provides stereo sound to T.V’s, RF port removed, Different AC adapter used, Push button power switch.

A third version genesis 3 was realesed in the US

megav2.gif

So, in your personal opinion which of the two fufilled your need for entertainment the most, and which had the best selection of games on?

Let the Mass Debation begin!

Always was SNES for me. I had both machines, but I got the Mega Drive quite late (it fell off the back of a truck, why not?) so I am biased towards the SNES. It just had better games in my opinion. F Zero ruled, baby! Altho I think the Mega Drive had Streets of Rage and that is one of my favourite games.

SNES does it for me because of the good memories attached to it. Playing multi-player super bomber man with a few of my school mates back in the day, or match after match on ISS Deluxe was always the best thing to do :D

You know what? I think I might just get out the SNES and have a few rounds of Street Fighter...

Megadrive hands down.

Even Kick Off 3 was better on the Megadrive than the SNES.

Look at all the classic megadrive games:

- Kick off 3

- Evander Holyfield Boxing

- European Cup Soccer

- Beavis and Butthead

- Sonic Series

- Road Rash

- Shinobi

- Golden Axe

- Streets of Rage

- Street Fighter

- Micro Machines

Ahhhh, good times...

MegaDrive for me, Japan got all the best Nintendo system games and we were left in the dark about such great games until recent remakes (IE Final Fantasy). So basically for my region MegaDrive had the better games, who COULDN'T love Golden Axe or Shinobi?! If Nintendo had given a crap about Europe they'd probably have won this argument.

You can't compare the MegaDrive and the SNES. Compare the Genesis and the SNES, in which case Genesis > *. Stupid fucking blood code.

nm, I thought the MegaDrive was the oldschool Sony system. Still Genesis is a better name then MegaDrive.

Its just that in Europe the Mega Drive was the name for it, shoulda statred that in my post. And I cant be arsed to edit it now.

Snes was probably the best console due its vast amount of RPGs on it, some were a bitch to find, but so worth it when you did finally find them.

But the Genesis/Megadrive did have its moments, no doubt.

SNES was it for me.

Although the Genesis took the stage because it had the notorious Blood Code for MK, the SNES version was just more impressive, graphically. Besides, I thought some of the Fatalities (Or finishers, if you take the Nintendo censored view) were better. True, nothing beats ripping your opponenets head off and seeing their spinal column, but I thought Raiden's SNES fatality was a classic...

And the SNES just had much better graphics and sound.

Let's compare two games to each other:

Street Fighter 2 (Instert cheap marketing version like Turbo or Championship here) and Maximum Carnage.

I've played both for both systems. The sound on the Genesis versions were just hideous, and the graphics were bland at best. The SNES had much more driving music then the Genesis, and just more 'realistic' sound. Play the arcade versions of Street Fighter. You get the same sounds when you use the SNES, but not the Genesis.

The SNES games always had phenomenal graphics in all of its games, where-as the Genesis was lacking in some of them.

I had both systems, but there were only four Genesis games that I truly loved and that will be close to me (Sonic 2, Shining Force, Mutant League Football, and Pirates! Gold), but the SNES just outnumbers it in total happiness.

SNES games I adored: Super Mario World, Zelda 3, Super Metroid, FF6, SF2 (all versions), Illusion of Gaia (never beat it), Lufia and the Fortress of Doom, Contra III, Super Punch-Out!!, and on and on and on...

Guest Ringmaster

I love the SNES. Megadrive was fun, but SNES was where the RPGs, Mario, Zelda, Kirby and various Nintendo personalities were, so it was THE console for me.

SEGA loyalist = moi.

If I were given a fully working Mega Drive with all the appropriate games right now I would say screw contemporary gaming and just play that for the rest of eternity.

You could say I'm biased since my first ever gaming console was the Mega Drive - with Sonic 2, back in 1992 - but I did pick up a SNES and NES over the years. While good fun, they simply did not compare to my Mega Drive with additional Master System converter.

Now that we're past what I believe to be the Golden Age of Gaming (circa 1990 - 1994), and SEGA are now toast on the console market (pity really, some of the Saturn games rocked, i.e. Nights into Dreams) I am now a Sony loyalist. Microsoft don't even BELONG there.

It'll be a cold day in Hell when I have a Nintendo system taking pride of place in my room.

I still own my original SEGA Megadrive and I love it. So Megadrive > *

I always had a Mega Drive, so it's Mega Drive for me. The games were good, the graphics weren't bad and I loved the look and feel I got when I played.

That MIGHT have been the loose wiring though.

So yeah, Sega owns. Much respect to Nintendo though, because it was very close, and the SNES was a great machine.

Snes just because it rocked.

It had the best games like Harvest Moon, Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Super Tennis and of course Frantic Flea!!! It just plain out rocked

I had both I would rock the SNES for RPGs but Genesis killed on the sports genre with World Series Baseball Joe Montana's Sports Talk Football and the NFL series they had as well. I think Sports Talk Football might have turned into that series but I'm not sure. I remember the Genesis version of WWF Royal Rumble having different characters or something too but I liked the SNES version better.

With your opponent down stand near the corner and press R and Yokozuna will execute the devistating Banzai Drop! :shifty:

Well, in 1993 me with my NES had a decision to make, do I take in the descendent of the system, or the very strong rival to the throne?

All I had at that point was Game Players, who had recently merged their two magazines into one large one. I read reviews, checked uo in the games.

Then, the Mortal Kombat controversy occured. I did and still do have a huge problem with censorship, and I saw Nintendo being the ones who wanted all games to be just like Barney. I then decided that my money was going for the Sega Genesis,

Do I regret making that choice? In a way I do, as I have missed many great RPGS (I am only now playing FFIV on an emulator on my PC.) When Nintendo finally lighted up on MKII and subsequent games I began liking them more, and switched to the N64 instead of the Sega Saturn (Thank God I made that choice...)

SNES was it for me.

Although the Genesis took the stage because it had the notorious Blood Code for MK, the SNES version was just more impressive, graphically. Besides, I thought some of the Fatalities (Or finishers, if you take the Nintendo censored view) were better. True, nothing beats ripping your opponenets head off and seeing their spinal column, but I thought Raiden's SNES fatality was a classic...

And the SNES just had much better graphics and sound.

Let's compare two games to each other:

Street Fighter 2 (Instert cheap marketing version like Turbo or Championship here) and Maximum Carnage.

I've played both for both systems. The sound on the Genesis versions were just hideous, and the graphics were bland at best. The SNES had much more driving music then the Genesis, and just more 'realistic' sound. Play the arcade versions of Street Fighter. You get the same sounds when you use the SNES, but not the Genesis.

The SNES games always had phenomenal graphics in all of its games, where-as the Genesis was lacking in some of them.

I had both systems, but there were only four Genesis games that I truly loved and that will be close to me (Sonic 2, Shining Force, Mutant League Football, and Pirates! Gold), but the SNES just outnumbers it in total happiness.

SNES games I adored: Super Mario World, Zelda 3, Super Metroid, FF6, SF2 (all versions), Illusion of Gaia (never beat it), Lufia and the Fortress of Doom, Contra III, Super Punch-Out!!, and on and on and on...

Yep, what he said....there's no comparison between Genesis or SNES when you look at games like Street Fighter. With the Genesis you have to hit Start or something to even think about using your kick buttons. Talk about fucking weak...:rolleyes:

Yep, what he said....there's no comparison between Genesis or SNES when you look at games like Street Fighter.  With the Genesis you have to hit Start or something to even think about using your kick buttons.  Talk about fucking weak...:rolleyes:

What, you mean people still used the 3-button controllers when playing that? Tsk, fools.