The Sopranos Thread

RKOwnage

As mentioned in another thread, EWB clearly needs a Sopranos thread. Despite the fact that the series has run its course, it's still fun to talk about, so let's go <_<

I can't believe they killed Christopher the way they did. I always thought he would go down like the maniac he was perceived to be, like Scarface or something like that. It would've been so awesome, although I always love a good surprise like it was that night.

I put spoilers in the topic title because some people may have not seen the entire series.

Pine Barrens is definitely the single best episode of The Sopranos, in my opinion. Both because of Paulie and Christopher being awesomely retarded and for that bit where Bobby walks in with his winter gear and Tony just starts cracking up at him.

And definitely agreed regarding Christopher's death; in my opinion that was the biggest low point in the entire series.

As for my favorite Sopranos character... okay well that one should be pretty obvious.

Until the Sopranos, I never really thought Steve Buscemi could play a serious role. (I hadn't seen him in Reservoir Dogs, still haven't actually, but I'd only seen him in Adam Sandler movies and the like) This show proved me wrong. I thought it was cool how they tried to keep him straight for a while until his inevitable return to the family. He might have been the biggest loose cannon on the show, besides of course Ralphie and maybe Richie.

Oh, and the biggest low point of the series was clearly the season with Jackie Jr.

Edited by RKOwnage

*sticks fingers in ears*

Lalalalalalalalalalalalala!

I'm still only up to season 2, I got into the show literally two months ago. It is, however, one of the best things I've ever seen, and not just on TV. I await the arrival of season 3 via Amazon with bated breath and/or salivating.

Oh, and the biggest low point of the series was clearly the season with Jackie Jr.

... season three? The season with Pine Barrens and Ralph being fucking fantastic? Jackie Jr. was an annoying fucking character but that doesn't mean that season three itself was bad.

*sticks fingers in ears*

Lalalalalalalalalalalalala!

I'm still only up to season 2, I got into the show literally two months ago. It is, however, one of the best things I've ever seen, and not just on TV. I await the arrival of season 3 via Amazon with bated breath and/or salivating.

RUN AWAY WHILE YOU STILL CAN, RK.

Season two is probably the best season in the entire series, though (if Pine Barrens is my favorite episode, Commendatori and Funhouse are right behind it, as well as season five's The Test Dream).

EDIT: ... two posts in a row. Um. Whoops.

Edited by GoGo Yubari

Actually, I'm sorry, Season Six part 1 was the low point of the series. How could I forget about that fat bastard Vito. Couldn't they have just killed him right at the start instead of dragging out his gay storyline for so long?

Pine Barrens was the only highlight of the 3rd season, episode-wise. Everything else had its bits and pieces, like pretty much every Ralphie scene, but other than that there was nothing.

DISCLAIMER: I am not homophobic, nor do I discriminate against gays, I just hated that storyline <_<

Edited by RKOwnage

I liked the way Christopher was killed off. It was a good way imo, since they always played up to the fact that Tony didn't really trust him and that Christopher would have ended up being a huge burden for him.

Sopranos had alot of great moments, I loved any Bobby moments before he hooked up with Janice.

I loved Seasons 1-5. With 2-5 being especially good. Pine Barrens is definitely my favorite episode followed by Long Term Parking.

I think my favorite episode of the series as a whole was The Blue Comet, the second to last episode. With the death of Bobby and the incapacitation of Silvio, it set the stage for the last episode perfectly. The last scene of that episode, with Tony lying down in bed with the gun Bobby gave him was one of the most chilling moments of the series for me. When I think of the Sopranos, that's one of the images that comes to mind.

I also thought the ending was brilliantly done. David Chase's idea was perfect. Of course we all wanted closure, but not everything in life gets closed up. I think Tony lived, personally, but no one really knows. Chase did his job perfectly. His job wasn't to make the viewers happy, he shocked everyone. He got people talking about his show. He did it perfectly IMO.

Oh, and I still think they should've recreated Cleaver, with Christopher coming back to kill Tony with his cleaver for a hand, if it was confined to a dream sequence.

Edited by RKOwnage

My one problem with the finale is that, well. In what was almost true Sopranos fashion in the worst way, it sets up for something big only to go the completely anticlimactic route. Which isn't to say that it was a bad finale because really it was pretty good, but New York just sort of caved in.

I fucking loved everything about that show (that I saw). The finale, Vito's gay storyline, and all. However, I missed like the first 3 or 4 seasons. I need to go back and watch them.

Oh man, if you loved the last couple seasons then you're definitely going to enjoy the earlier ones.

And yeah, I didn't mind the Vito storyarc. I thought they spent a little too much time on it considering that in the end he just makes a really fucking stupid mistake and comes back to Jersey anyway, but it was interesting seeing the contrasting perspectives in the Soprano crew between those who were more tolerant (Tony, Patsy) and those who wanted him dead from the word go (Paulie, Christopher).

How can you guys hate on Johnny Cakes? <_>

The show was great, definitely one of my favorites. I actually really liked the Jackie Jr./Meadow storyline, guess I'm alone in that regard.

Honestly, the only time I really liked Jackie Jr. was in the last episode he was in, when he got schooled by that little girl in a game of chess and then tried to play it cool afterwards, which really displayed just how incredibly inept he really was.

Oh god, AJ. The only time AJ was tolerable was when he was dating Blanca and was finally acting like... well, not a whiny fuck-up. Then she broke up with him. God, AJ, what the hell.

I thought it was so stupid what they did with him in the finale. After weeks of buildup with terrorism, the website, and then he wants to join the Army. After seeming so determined, Tony just goes 'I'll get you a job with movies' (or something like that), AJ just goes 'Alright, thanks!' and that's the end of that. Pointless.

Which fits with the continual tendency of the show to do a whole lot of build-up and then "oh hey nevermind," really. ESPECIALLY in season six; the war with New York and the death of Christopher Moltisanti were exactly the same way.