The Sopranos Thread

RKOwnage

• Admin
14 hours ago, Szumi - A Polack said:

Hard disagree here. Pretty sure I remember reading that Tony Sirico's one rule upon accepting the role was that he never a rat or betrayed the family. I know they did an arc of him flirting with NY, but they were never going to have him betray the family like that. He wanted his character to be a true mobster, given his own former mob ties.

Yeah so I too completely disagreed with the idea of Paulie betraying Tony but then I decided to do a bit of research to see if there was much of a consensus and now I’m not so sure. There’s so much fan theory stuff out there about The Sopranos, and after I completed my first watch through in 2014 I read a LOT of it, but I don’t recall every reading anything about Paulie betraying Tony. It’s quite compelling.

I haven’t had my own theories challenged in such a way since David Chase revealed last year that Tony did actually die in the final episode. 

14 hours ago, kliq said:

Yeah so I too completely disagreed with the idea of Paulie betraying Tony but then I decided to do a bit of research to see if there was much of a consensus and now I’m not so sure. There’s so much fan theory stuff out there about The Sopranos, and after I completed my first watch through in 2014 I read a LOT of it, but I don’t recall every reading anything about Paulie betraying Tony. It’s quite compelling.

I haven’t had my own theories challenged in such a way since David Chase revealed last year that Tony did actually die in the final episode. 

It's probably because I didn't watch the show when it aired live, but the finale mystery of Tony's fate didn't bother me at all. One way or another, he was about to be fucked. Murdered in front of his family, eventually murdered by someone, or the very inevitable essentially life in prison sentence he was soon going to have because someone flipped on him (I refuse to believe it was Paulie, it was Carlo Gervasi). His run was essentially over, no matter if he was killed then or not. 

I, of course, understand how it drove people nuts when it happened though for the ambiguous ending (although I think it's brilliant because it kept people talking for literal years)

• Like 1

From what I understand, Tony Sirico only said he never wanted to be a rat, he never said anything about his character not betraying his character (hence, the Ginny mole storyline with New York). Paulie being the only guy without an ending made it feel to me that there's very little doubt that he made a deal with New York, OR, at the very least, New York decided that Paulie was the guy to take over that would be the easiest to control (for whatever reason). Wasn't there a scene where Butchie and some other New York guys were discussing that?

Also, my head canon is that Silvio survived and moved to Norway to live in Lillehammer :shifty:

• Like 1

I've seen pretty convincing theories behind Patsy being the one to orchestrate Tony's killing. I forget all the details but it stems from his twin brother getting whacked.

Also, I like with the ending how it ties into Bobby and Tony's conversation on the boat. "You probably don't even hear it coming". Which is what happened with Tony, and unfortunately for Bobby he did see it coming. Poor Bobby.

Bobby getting whacked is the saddest one for me, even more than Ade. Bobby totally got manipulated in his grief by Janice, who is just as awful a human as her mother and brother. He always presented to me as someone who didn't really choose the mob, but was born into it (much like Tony, but such a contrast to him). He worshipped his wife and was the only one to not take up a goomar. And then his poor kids are stuck with awful fucking Janice as their only parent. They're probably doomed to end up on the street like her first kid 😭