• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since Gabe did it:

1. Detroit

It's Detroit. Never bet against them.

2. San Jose

Young and gun offense, great veteran leaders. Only question is the back end.

3. Vancouver

Hungry like the wolf.

4. Calgary

Trap till you drap.

5. Anaheim

Todd Bertuzzi carries this team on his back. Until it gives out in game four.

6. Dallas

They have some ugly jerseys.

7-8. Colorado, Minnesota, Edmonton, Los Angeles

First and foremost, with Nashville's self desctruction, I think the Comedy Central is back to the old days. St. Louis and Chicago are getting better, but not fast enough, and Nashville and Columbus are both going nowhere. I think Phoenix is way out of it, but Los Angeles, if they still healthy and have an actual goalie, have a shot. Colorado is almost a lock to make one of the spots, but Budaj is unproven, and the whole thing blows up is the goalie sucks. I had written Edmonton off, but they've actually had a very, very promising preseason, and if their team can play with that same energy... smart picks would be Colroado and Minnesota, but all four teams have a shot in what is a relatively toploaded conference.

1. Ottawa

Just don't expect another long playoff run.

2. New York Rangers

Broduer can only win so many games single handedly.

3. Washington

Why not?

4. New Jersey

Broduer will only lose so many games, though.

5. Pittsburgh

Could win the division, depends.

6. Buffalo

No longer a powerhouse

7-8. Toronto, Atlanta, Carolina, Tampa

First of all, I think the southeast sucks hard this year, and giving them a second playoff team is probably generous, but they do have an easier schedule playing each other as opposed to, say, Montreal, who loses out with better competition. I think the Islanders dealt too much to get Smyth and are off the radar, and missing some key pieces as well, but they have an outside shot. I think Washington is a questionable pick to win the division but it's a weak division. I think they do make the playoffs, though. Toronto I think is a much better team then last season, and is a lock to make the playoffs, but they will probably mess it up somehow. Everyone else is a crapshoot, Atlanta, Tampa, and Carolina all have holes and problems with consistency. If you're going to bet on one, it would probably be Carolina. I think l;ast season was an anomoly, but you never know. I think Montreal is just an average team. Average teams can make the playoffs in the east, so Montreal has a shot, but I think it's between them and Toronto to pick up points and finish behind Ottawa, and I think Toronto made steps forward in the offseason whereas Montreal really only made addition by subtraction... so I don't know if they have a real, true shot.

Bear in mind i'm a little shaky on divisions.

East:

1 Senators

2 Rangers

3 Thrashers

4 Penguins

5 Tampa

6 Toronto

7 New Jersey

8 Buffalo

West:

1 Anaheim

2 Canucks. Anyone that does not put this team at this spot in the NW division is fooling themselves.

3 Detroit

4 San Jose

5 Dallas

6 Colorado (optimistic)

7 Wild

8 Flames

Guest Mr. Potato Head

1) Ottawa

2) Tampa Bay

3) Rangers

4) Pittsburgh

5) Washington

6) Philly

7) Buffalo

8) Montreal

Ottawa over Montreal

Buffalo over Tampa Bay

Rangers over Philly

Pittsburgh over Washington

Ottawa over Tampa Bay

Pittsburgh over Rangers

Ottawa over Pittsburgh

1) Vancouver

2) Anaheim

3) Detroit

4) San Jose

5) Colorado

6) Dallas

7) St. Louis

8) Calgary

Vancouver over Calgary

Anaheim over St. Louis

Detroit over Dallas

San Jose over Colorado

San Jose over Vancouver

Anaheim over Detroit

San Jose over Anaheim

San Jose over Ottawa

Even though I like the Canucks to win their division, picking up the conference is highly unlikely. They play in a very tough division, with four (or five, if somehow Edmonton is back to competitive form) tough teams all of who have good goalies and decent defense, so they are far from guaranteed points, whereas a team like Detroit gets to steamroll teams far worse then them on a frequent basis. I think Detroit definitely picks up the conference, unless the pacific division somehow becomes a one team division, which I don't see. Canucks could finish second, or third, but not first. I think Detroit has already clinched their division. >_>

The regular season starts tomorrow (we won't count the sideshow in London), and I am very excited. I think having Toskala and Raycroft pushing each other will really help to better Raycroft, and with Blake on the team, Toronto adds some speed and scoring that was sorely missed last year. If the Leafs steer clear of injury, they should be in the playoffs. Bad omen with Wellwood already going out though.

Gabe's Picks, October 3

-Montreal d. Carolina

-Detroit d. Anaheim

-Toronto d. Ottawa

-Colorado d. Dallas

I'll get to watch the Leafs/Sens game on TSN, and then Thursday night, I'll be able to catch the second half of their home and home on CBC. I'm going to say that both teams will win one of the games, which means that my early pick for Thursday's winner is Ottawa... but if the Sens beat Toronto tomorrow night, then I've got Toronto for Thursday.

Montreal played poorly for the first half of the game. Then took full on control in the second half. Huet gave up 2 goals, he played spectacularly well. Amazing performance from him. Streit was very impressive. Briesbois was great through 2 and terrible in the third. Kovalev-Grabs-Kostitsyn was looking like hot shit tonight and Ryder-Koivu-Higgins was amazing tonight. Koivu scores twice and Habs win in OT 3-2.

Toronto's first line looked fantastic, but the defence looked a little pourus and Raycroft let in one stinker. Toronto should have had that game, but failing to score on any of their powerplay chances was just plain bad.

Hopefully, the teams can carry the fight they had in this game over to tomorrow's game.