2007/2008 Hockey Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.jeremy-roenick.com/new_game_notes.htm

He scored a goal. On Luongo. Not just on anyone, but on Luongo. He's been splitting time between Marleau and Thornton as linemates, which seems to indicate San Jose thinks a lot of what he could add to a team.

Guest Grapehead

- Downie hits McAmmond

Verdict??

From this video you can't see how many strides he took, so you can't call charging, although it seems apparent. You can't really tell 100% his elbow is being used, although it seems like it is. The hit wasn't late, McAmmond JUST released the puck. McAmmond WAS vulnerable and Downie DID take advantage of that. To me it seems like Downie was just running a little too much energy, trying to make his spot on the roster and make some noise, got out of control and saw a chance to really lay a guy out. Similar hit on Eaves back in the playoffs, and I'll say the same thing, it's cheap to slug a player who's circling the net like that, but at the same time guys need to be aware. It's a little different if Downie, or Armstrong were standing at the side of the crease and just flattened them as they came around, but both guys took strides into the hit and knocked the player out into the boards. They need to say something to Downie, take some form of action, but it doesn't need to be that harsh, it needs to be a statement to the kid, and it might even be better to just let him run into Brian McGratton next time Ottawa plays Philly. Kid just needs to learn he's not that big anymore and he's going to get himself killled if he keeps taking runs at guys like that. This is disappointing though cause I was really excited to see Steve Downie hit the NHL.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

From what I've read, his son isn't exactly going to be the 180-degree opposite of him, but the few good things the Hawks have done (spent a bit of money, lifted a handful of blackouts) were his doing. So it'll be an improvement, but I don't think we're going to see a dynasty.

The only cheap part of the Downie head was that he left his feet to make the head and it was undoubtedly a charge. He'll get suspended no doubt, not entirely sure if he should do. If he didn't leave his feet, that would be a clean hit through and through and maybe next time McAmmond won't be admiring his pass coming around the net.

One thing that makes me laugh in the video is how three Ottawa players stare at Downie for about 5 seconds then suddenly realize "oh shit, maybe we should kick his ass" and then at the same time rush at him.

EDIT: All right, I just saw a video showing Downie coming in from the blue-line to line him up. So there was intent, and that definetly makes the hit dirtier than I thought it was before.

Edited by Clawson

According to my copy of NHL 2K8.

Eastern Conference

1- Ottawa

2- Tampa Bay

3- NY Rangers

4- Pittsburgh

5- Florida

6- Carolina

7- Buffalo

8- New Jersey

9- Boston

10- Toronto

11- Atlanta

12- Montreal

13- Philadelphia

14- Washington

15- NY Islanders

Western Conference

1- San Jose

2- Detroit

3- Colorado

4- Anaheim

5- Calgary

6- Minnesota

7- Los Angeles

8- Vancouver

9- Phoenix

10- Nashville

11- St. Louis

12- Dallas

13- Chicago

14- Edmonton

15- Columbus

Eastern Conference Finals: NY Rangers over New Jersey Devils

Western Conference Finals: San Jose Sharks over Anaheim Ducks

Stanley Cup Finals: San Jose Sharks over NY Rangers

So if that actually happens I'm selling my prophetic copy of NHL 2K8 on EBay.

After a rigourous amount of time spent reading up on the teams and predicting their placements and how well they will do... here is what I believe the 2008 Stanley Cup Playoffs will look like.

First Round

Vancouver Vs Dallas

Detroit Vs Colorado

San Jose Vs Minnesota

Calgary Vs Anaheim

Pittsburgh Vs Buffalo

Ottawa Vs New York R

Tampa Bay Vs Montreal

New Jersey Vs Toronto

Quarter-Finals

Vancouver Vs Anaheim

Detroit Vs San Jose

Pittsburgh Vs New York R

Toronto Vs Montreal

Conference Finals

San Jose Vs Anaheim

Pittsburgh Vs Montreal

Stanley Cup Finals

Anaheim Vs Pittsburgh

So, the Ducks repeat as Champs... my Flames get ousted in the first round, the Habs and the Leafs meet in the Quarter-Finals, and the Tampa Bay Lightning get 3rd in the East because of a very weak Southeast Division.

I doubt the Ducks repeat as champs or even win their division. Selanne and Niedermayer were huge parts of their team both on the ice and in the dressing room. Team is still a playoff team, but I think western final material at best. Depending on how the goalie situation shakes down. San Jose and Anaheim are pretty much in the same boat and have very similar teams, but I think the top end talent of San Jose is much better, when you compare them one to one, I think San Jose is better in every area.