Emile Heskey Called Up

IAceI

Boxzy is sadly correct - I've always rated Barry, he's quietly brilliant and can play in that deeper role which allows the other central midfielder to run off and create chances, and it's criminal that nobody has taken notice and recommended him to Sven/McClaren before really. He's definitely deserved at least a friendly here and there to see how he goes. But, as soon as Hargreaves is eligible again, he'll be back out.

SWP did damn well, but once Hargreaves is back in and Lampard is fit, he'll be quietly eased out to shove Gerrard over onto the right, which is ultimately stupid. There's no point sticking with Beckham, who is going to be too old to do much at the tournament proper, so let's move him out quietly and give the players who will be able to do so in Switzerland/Austria (Lennon, SWP) a chance. As for Gerrard on the right... meh. I don't see why we're persisting with Lampard, who isn't as good as Gerrard, in a position that forces the better player out of position.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was a good match, I thought Heskey was decent and done more in his role than Crouch does. As Ian Wright said, he seemed to play with more heart and go for more than Crouch does and that was good to see. Owen should have had a hat trick, but at least he got on the scoresheet.

Sitting in the pub watching the second half I definitely thought that we were playing well without Lampard, and while I think he's good, I thought Barry done well enough to deserve to stay in that spot for the next match. Same with SWP. I like Beckham, but if SWP plays that well then there's only one name to put down on the sheet at right wing.

The best players for me were;

Shaun Wright Phillips

Joe Cole

Emile Heskey/Gareth Barry

and then Gerrard was up to his usual good performance, but those four stood out more for me, hardly surprising since 3 of them aren't usually there - yet still played well.

I'm pleased with the performance, 3-0 was the right scoreline at the end in my eyes, but it could have been 4 or 5 if Owen took those chances, even Heskey had a few that he should have put on target, so 6 or 7 if you want to start pushing it.

Good performance, we put Israel in their place and proved that we're still a good footballing nation. Hope we do that well against Russia (Y)

In my view the England team should be:

GK - Robinson or James (undecided who should be 1st choice)

RB - Richards (think he has the quality to pass Gary Neville now)

LB - Ashley Cole

CB - Terry

CB - Ferdinand

RM - Wright-Phillips (Gerrard is better at CM and Beckham is getting older)

LM - Joe Cole

CM - Hargreaves (should be in ahead of Lampard so Gerrard has more license to roam free)

CM - Gerrard

CF - Owen

CF - Rooney

I don't agree with Hargreaves being in the team, we don't need him, he's a good player, but he doesn't fit how England should be playing, unless we fuck about with a diamond again. Stick Phillips on the right, Cole and Gerrard through the middle with Barry on the left.

I don't agree with Hargreaves being in the team, we don't need him, he's a good player, but he doesn't fit how England should be playing, unless we fuck about with a diamond again. Stick Phillips on the right, Cole and Gerrard through the middle with Barry on the left.

• Admin

I need to give credit where it is due - Heskey was exactly what England needed today, someone strong in the air, and who can hold up play, Heskey has been our best one since Shearer. Can't think of one bad performance today.

I was at the game, and I couldnt believe that permission was given to 100-150 Palestinian/Palestinian symphasysers to line up on the side of Wembley Way with banners and panflets shouting the 'evils' of Israel, shouting that 'Israel should be shown the red card to terrorism' etc.

I appriciate that everyone should all be entitled to their own opinion, but to allow them to voice it at such a large event (Wembley is near quite a few Jewish areas), is just going to cause trouble. Which it did. A few os the Israeli fans attempted to get into their pen area, it could have got nasty. Stupid council.

If you don't want both midfielders going forward, and you don't want to start with Hargreaves due to positional problems, why not go with Carrick? When he gets a good run of games under his belt and is on form, he's electric and he's the reason that Spurs haven't been up to much in midfield this last season.

I'd probably go with...

GK - Paul Robinson (still the best, no matter what anybody says - Foster is on the up-and-up though)

DR - Micah Richards

DL - Ashley Cole

DC - John Terry

DC - Rio Ferdinand

DMC - Owen Hargreaves/Joey Barton

MC - Steven Gerrard

ML - Stewart Downing

MR - Shawn Wright-Phillips/Joe Cole (he's naturally a right-sider)

FC - Peter Crouch

FC - Wayne Rooney

Would'nt Gerrard and Cole result in similar problem to Gerrard and Lampard? No staying back and both going forward. With Hargreaves you have a player who can stay back and allow Gerrard to go forward when he wants.

To be honest, I don't see that as the problem, I think the problem is they're too similar, Cole likes to dribble and keep the ball, Gerrard and Lampard both like to pick out passes and through balls.

ML - Cole

MR - SWP

MC - Gerrard

MC - Barry

Both Barry and Gerrard get forward, and track back enough. We don't need a holding midfielder for 90% of International matches, as long as both players are prepared to track back somewhat, there's no need for a holding midfielder.

I don't want to overhype it, as we just played Israel, but it was a pleasing performance. Wright-Phillips, Cole, Owen, Barry, Richards and Heskey all had good matches, its particularly pleasing to see Richards developing into a really good international player. Heskey kept it simple and was effective, and Owen took his goal brilliantly.

There's a lot of hype about Russia, mainly as they're a Hiddink team, but it should really be a victory - Croatia are a good side but, compared to Northern Ireland and Scotland's groups, ours is piss easy.