Bands Who Should Have Cover Albums

Benji

Rock and Opera? Where've I heard that before?

Oh, right:

Rhapsody of Fire

Symphony X

Aina

Avantasia

Metallica's S&M Album.

Tonnes more I haven't found yet

And, as Keith said, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SclJmnRMLnQ&NR=1

It's hardly a new concept ¬_¬

But yeah, more is always good.

AFI should never cover anything after they covered 'Jack The Ripper'. Adding a looong emo'y start to it and being whiny is quite irritating.

But I would like someone to come up with a good cover album for The Smiths, RHCP (as previously mentioned) or RATM.

David Bowie. His work is amongst the best that a British artist has ever produced, yet he's never quite entered into the 'untouchable' pantheon. Hearing modern artists having a crack at Jean Genie, Rebel Rebel, John I'm Only Dancing, Changes et al would be quite the experience.

Eugh, bands should have to sign a contract before being allowed to cover The Smiths. One that stipulates that if it's shit, they'll get their heads cut off. The practical upshot of this is that nobody would cover The Smiths unless they were 100% sure it'd be awesome - every Smiths cover I've ever heard has been the drizzling shits, no matter how good the band is with their own work.

Shed 7's version of Jean Genie > Shed 7's original material > Shed 7's 21st-century reincarnation (The Killers)

Seeing somebody to a hard rock version of maybe Abduction from the Seraglio or the Marriage of Figaro would be beyond awesome. The ouvertures alone would be worth the price of the album - and the end-of-Act-2 march from Figaro would be seriously badass with drums and dirty bass.

AFI should never cover anything after they covered 'Jack The Ripper'. Adding a looong emo'y start to it and being whiny is quite irritating.

But I would like someone to come up with a good cover album for The Smiths, RHCP (as previously mentioned) or RATM.

"The Smiths Is Dead" and "Romantic And Square Is Hip And Aware" are two absolutely fantastic Smiths tribute albums. RASIHAA's all very twee-pop, with the likes of The Lucksmiths, Pipas and Lovejoy, whereas Smiths Is Dead is just brilliant; Billy Bragg's "Never Had No One Ever", The Divine Comedy's "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" and Supergrass' "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others" are all fantastic covers, and the only naff track is The Boo Radley's "The Queen Is Dead", and a bit of a "what the fuck" moment thanks to Therapy?'s "Vicar In A Tutu".

Personally, I'd love to hear Tom Waits do a covers album, as every cover I've heard from him is fantastic, and I'd love to hear tribute albums to Nick Cave and Roxy Music, as long as the stipulation was not to let anyone try and do a boring straight cover.

I thought that was a really bad album.

The songs seem to be interpreted so dully. Especially Girlfriend In A Coma, Frankly Mr. Shankly, Panic and most of all There Is A Light That Never Goes Out covered by My Awesome Compilation, which is awful. Shoplifters of the World Unite by This Girl has very possibly the worst vocal harmonies I've ever heard. This might just be a personal thing, but all the bands seem to have really annoying voices, particularly Cursive, Garrison and Million Dead.

How Soon Is Now by Hundred Reasons was alright though.

Edited by metalman

Yeah, basically it was dreadful. "Last Night I Dreamt..." was the best track, and even that was thoroughly adequate. Hundred Reasons' just did a straight cover, which is always pointless.

I'd like to see a Percy Sledge cover album. I want to hear some different takes on When A Man Loves A Woman.

I want a Sunny Day Real Estate cover album. So much variety in their catalogue the bands that would be willing to contribute to it would be immense.

DCFC's "This Charming Man" is pretty solid too. Unspectacular, but solid.

Edited by YI