Which Console?

Chris the Human

What console should I buy?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Which console

• Nintendo Wii
    • X-Box 360
    • Playstation 3

As I've mentioned in the recommendations thread, I'm about to come into some cash thanks to a good tax return and I'm looking to replace my tired old Playstation 2 with a stonking new console.

So, the question is: which should I buy?

I'm a big fan of RPG games, with a soft spot for FPS and sports. My favourite console games of all time would be Mario 64, Fable, Halo, Resident Evil 4, and any football/wrestling game.

So, bearing that in mind, what console would you recommend and why? I need a way to waste more time.

Going off your favorite games, obviously the 360 is your answer.

Fable - Xbox Exclusive franchise

Halo - Same

Resident Evil 5 - Coming to 360

Football (assuming you mean American football) - Madden runs the best on the 360, plus Xbox Live

Wrestling - Smackdown is now cross-platform and the 360 is obviously the best version due to custom soundtracks.

The Wii is a great system too and it's going to find its footing this Holiday. Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros, Metroid is a triple threat of killer titles and I'm very excited for them. Not to mention Zelda is already out and while I still haven't played it yet, I've yet to hear a bad word about it. And the Wii is going to start getting some third party support due to it outselling all other systems right now. The only problem is Nintendo still doesn't have a solid online system in place and the Wii just doesn't favor certain types of games. While I wouldn't call it a gimmick (it's the #1 system for a reason), but there are just some games I couldn't imagine playing on that set-up: Fighting games not made by Nintendo, wrestling games, GTA-styled games, and games that require stronger hardware.

Both are good systems, but based off your preferences, the 360 is pretty much your answer.

All three systems are amazing compared to the last gen systems, there's a few issues you might have with all three though and since everyone has already weighed out the positives here's some negatives.

Wii

- Developers are still making a lot of games that only cater to the Wii's gimmick control scheme and there really aren't that many games that you can just sit back and play without pulling a muscle.

- While the Wii games still look beautiful they are nothing compared to what the PS3 and X360 can accomplish.

- On the previous note further in the Wii's lifespan you'll see a lot more titles that will be exclusively for the 360 and PS3 because it's going to be increasingly harder for developers to make a port to a system which has maxed out it's ability while they are still finding trying to figure out how to fill all of a PS3's blu-ray disk and trying to max out a 360's memory. You have to remember that some of the most beautiful games of the last gen game out in the PS2's last year as a truly active console.

PS3

- It still hasn't worked out many of it's kinks. The servers are free, but they're buggy as hell, random disconnects, and lag like a clogged stripclub toilet.

- The price

- The amount of games it has, or better yet it doesn't have. And how many of the games you can find on other consoles.

- Not any real standout must have titles. In the last gen battle Sony had the upperhand with having exclusive launch rights to the GTA series, this time around GTA IV will be released for both the 360 and PS3 at the same time.

- If you happen to get the new 80G that's being released your PS2 catalog won't be supported on your PS3 so don't get rid out of your PS2.

+ I know I was only doing negatives but one thing the PS3 is going to have that I know some of us will have to surrender to is the fact that Kingdom Hearts 3 will most likely be a PS3 exclusive.

Xbox 360

- The Ring Of Death

- No free multiplayer online, although you get a free lifetime silver membership that still allows you access to downloadable game content, and you can still message people on xbox live and people with msn. To be fair it's only 20$ for 3 months and well worth it.

- It's fucking loud.

With that said you can see which system I prefer. The 360 has the widest selection of games and if you pick yourself an extended warranty you'll be fine, I've had my 360 for a bit now and haven't encountered any problems. Any game that I've seen and wanted for PS3 I have a similar better game for the 360. It has ample RPGs, FPS, and sports titles and SD vs. Raw 08 isn't even debatable for which system it will be superior on (not the DS).

And we haven't even got into the features of the system besides gaming.

Do you download films, clips, or music on your pc? Great, connect your pc to your 360 and stream it directly from the convenience of your controller.

It doesn't end there though, if you have one or more computers on a wireless network in your home you can use content from each of those to make up a library of media for your 360 to use.

If you can plug it into a pc you can most likely use it on your 360, iPods, Zunes, and MP3 players all connect easily to the 360.

In the end it's your decision, but the 360 does more than the PS3 does and for half the price, while the Wii is a great family console you're one man and it's your money do what's going to satisfy you the most.

That's bullshit, From what i've been told by many the PS3 servers are so crowded and so laggy it's unbelievable, The 360 is lag free if you have a decent 'net connection.

To be honest, when you're playing with 59 other people I can forgive a bit of lag. I personally have encountered any playing Resistance or Warhawk, but eh. Give the gaming libraries alone since thats pretty much the most important thing, go for the 360. I can't see you being disappointed with any of the choices.

Is the PS2 really still outselling the 360? That sounds a bit far fetched to be honest, I'm not disputing it, I just would like to know what info he has for this, as this is the first I've heard of it.

Our PS2 software sales far outweigh 360 sales (except this week of Halo frenzy).

I generally agree with the ten reasons (as everyone knows I'm a Sony fanboy). However I reckon the Wii will hang around longer than he thinks because while it's a bit of a gimmick if Nintendo continue to branch out with their concepts for it, and games then groovy. However looking at the difference in FIFA 08 for the Wii with it's slightly silly mini games and it's graphical (and controller for the more "standard" games) limitations shows that the Wii will be best to distance itself towards a quirkier market.

Also, in a way I feel the 360/PS3 will be a swap around of the XBox/PS2. The PS2 sold far many more units and was more successful although many people would say the XBox was technically superior, indeed it was "Playstation" that became synonimous with that box folk had under their TV in the lounge.

When this generation is over I wouldn't be surprised for the 360 to be the commercial success of the two with the PS3 being the technically superior.

Still, whatever happens with those two, Nintendo will make billions with whatever they do - partly cos they've ALWAYS been pioneering in videogames and partly cos a large number of Nintendo fans are bigger fanboys than me.

That's bullshit, From what i've been told by many the PS3 servers are so crowded and so laggy it's unbelievable, The 360 is lag free if you have a decent 'net connection.

To be honest, when you're playing with 59 other people I can forgive a bit of lag. I personally have encountered any playing Resistance or Warhawk, but eh. Give the gaming libraries alone since thats pretty much the most important thing, go for the 360. I can't see you being disappointed with any of the choices.

Our PS2 software sales far outweigh 360 sales (except this week of Halo frenzy).

Which isn't just at your store. The PS2 has a 25 million+ userbase while the 360 might have half of that at best. The PS2 is still supported pretty heavily while the Xbox and Gamecube have been dead for two years. There's still some money to make off the system, I can't blame developers for still supporting it.

As I've mentioned in the recommendations thread, I'm about to come into some cash thanks to a good tax return and I'm looking to replace my tired old Playstation 2 with a stonking new console.

So, the question is: which should I buy?

I'm a big fan of RPG games, with a soft spot for FPS and sports. My favourite console games of all time would be Mario 64, Fable, Halo, Resident Evil 4, and any football/wrestling game.

So, bearing that in mind, what console would you recommend and why? I need a way to waste more time.