In Rainbows

probablyoliver

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DISCLAIMER: GoGo Yubari doesn't know shit about Radiohead. Seriously. His favorite songs by them are "Karma Police" and "Anyone Can Play Guitar" and that's about as far as he goes. Yeah.

I think I need to give it another listen-through sometime within the next twenty-four hours so I can have a more definite opinion. Initially I didn't care for it much for the reasons why I usually don't care for Radiohead much; to me, a lot of it just sounds like electronic noise with Thom Yorke doing his best spooky ghost impression. But as the album progressed, I really liked where they went with it, certainly worth every penny I didn't pay for it.

As far as Best Album of 2007 goes, right now I don't like it as much as either "It's a Bit Complicated" by Art Brut or "Bayani" by Blue Scholars, but it's definitely better than "Icky Thump" by the White Stripes and possibly "Wake Up! Wake Up! Wake Up!" by The Pillows, though I need to give the latter a relisten since it's been a couple of months.

... and I still have "Graduation" to listen to. Damn.

Edited by GoGo Yubari

I'm saving it for my travel into college today. I cannot wait. I've fallen so madly (back) in love with Radiohead the last couple of weeks. There's no doubt that Kid A is still their greatest work, and OK Computer is an over-rated, hype-machine full of alright songs, and a couple of blinders (Electioneering, Paranoid Android). OK Computer is wank compared to Kid A.

But that's kind of beside the point.

After one listen (key word here is one) it's a good listen, though, I'd hardly consider it album of the year. I think some of it struck me as them just sounding too much like themselves. (I don't know how to really explain that.) I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but I'd agree that the method used for this album will probably be more memorable than the CD itself because the CD is a bit boring in places.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING.

I've talked to like 5 hardcore Radiohead fans, and they say the exact same thing. The first song is great, sets a great tone for the album and just falls flat.

I see why they released it for free.

http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?blog=10&...p;pb=1#more2761

So, it's here, 'In Rainbows' is blasting out of the NME office stereo, and I'm typing as we all listen...

continued...

1: '15 Step'

Heavy, electro-tribal drum patterns and hand-claps make this a… funky start to the album. Minimal and sparse, Jonny Greenwood’s trademark guitar glow filters through the drums mournfully while Thom Yorke sings cryptic lyrics (surprise surprise). Ooh, just heard a child cheer sound effect. Liking it.

2: 'Bodysnatchers'

Driving rhythms, seering guitar effects and suppressed acoustic strumming and Yorke's vocals stretched and echo-ing - this sounds classically Radiohead, full of gnarly guitar fuzz and bluesy licks.

3: 'Nude'

Opening with an ascending orchestral flurry cut through with Yorke's diving croon, 'Nude' is a slow, etherial song underpinned by Phil Selway's trademark patter and tish drumming, which reminds of his work on 'Pyramid Song'. A slow burner.

4: 'Weird Fishes/Arpeggi'

A mid-paced, relaxed song underpinned by fidgety drums that sound almost rave-ey, with gradually building guitar fingerpicking and Thom Yorke crooning about being eaten by worms as the drums cut out. Spacey effects cut through towards the death of the song, making this a mysterious treat.

5: 'All I Need'

Phil's funky drums kick in over moody cello-effect swathes beore a bass-y, melodic electronic pulse throbs in. Glockenspiel tinkles underpin Yorke singing about moths and insects. Cymbal hits build and mix with the glockenspiel to make a starry, deft but epic end to the song as Yorke's voice quietly soars.

6: 'Faust ARP'

Thom Yorke chants his way through this moody, orchestral number. Catchy and jerky while unmistakable Radiohead, with the acoustic guitar picking in the background hinting at the guitar part of 'Paranoid Android'.

7: 'Reckoner'

Again, highly orchestral, 'Reckoner' is swamped in violin and tambourine shakes, with Thom Yorke's voice sounding choir-like. "Churchy" is the word, really. A highlight.

8: 'House Of Cards'

"I don't wanna be your friend, I just wanna be your lover" Yorke sings, voice clouded in echo over this minimal, reggae-ish song. 'House Of Cards' is lighter in tone than the previous orchestral numbers, the acoustic guitar picking almost jolly. Laid back and sunny, deft orchestral swathes swoop in half-way through the song but never envelope the song. This is my favourite so far, beautiful.

9: 'Jigsaw Falling Into Place'

A Spanish-style guitar intro gives way to a classic Radiohead driving acoustic guitar loop and ratatat drums. An ascending electric riff kicks in in the middle and the melody leaps up and down with Yorke's "come on and let it out" chants. A highlight, if an understated one.

10: 'Videotape'

Thom Yorke sings mournfully over piano hops and quiet orchestral swooshes. A weird, clopping drum rhythm kicks in half-way through suddenly making the song jerky and surreal, despite its minimalist, conventional beginning. The effect is ethereal and odd. More screwy, whirly effects kick in towards the death and Phil weighs in with some cymbal stabs, but despite this focus always remains on Yorke's tender piano.

That's it, we've heard the new Radiohead album!