Doctor Who

• 1 month later...

Rose Tyler returns for Series Four

Following a series of unconfirmed reports across the media this morning, we're delighted to officially confirm that Billie Piper will return as Rose Tyler in Series Four of Doctor Who.

Anything you may read elsewhere about when, how or for how long Rose returns to Doctor Who should be treated as pure speculation at this point.

Aww that's gay, I loved the ending they had, this is going to be dissapointing :(

Yeeeeah...sorry but this sucks, the ending Rose and Who had was a great bit of TV history & provided even more depth to the already well developed character. Now this just screams of them going the "American" way about it and adding on a potential happy ending for the two love birds. If not and it's to build to some thing else (like they get split up again), unless done correctly than that's even worse reason to bring the Rose character back so soon.

The Torchwood employee killed by the Cybermen has been retconned into being Martha Jones' cousin. Never mentioned on-screen though, as far as I remember. Possibly it's a tidbit that'll come up when TW series 2 begins, as Martha's moving to that show.

And the return of Rose doesn't necessarily mean our Rose comes back - an alternate Rose whose life took a different path and who's very different could be fascinating. Rose with a goatee, anyone?

Oh, and the other Time Lord is presumably the Rani... Joan Collins and Zoe Lucker have both been linked, and Kate O'Mara has said she'll return. Collins could be fun. I'd love to see Kate Winslet do it - but she's a bit too big for TV nowadays, really...

Nah, they mentioned it in Smith and Jones I believe, just a throwaway line about how she had some cousin who one day never came home, when the Doc's talking to her about aliens and such.

Rose coming back is quite meh indeed, and I'm really hoping that we don't have her coming on semi-recurring or full-time again. Urgh.

And I'm hoping beyond hope that they don't bring the fucking Rani back, she was really dreadful. Grr. Thankfully, they seem to be sticking to this 'one monster returns per year' thing, and this season we've already had our old-school monster confirmed.

SONTARANS!

Well in a quick interview with Newsround (I was channel flicking and I saw Dr.Who and thus had to see what was going on) and Tennant said he's yet to film a scene with Bille and there is a reason to that, so having them never meet could be quite interesting but also slightly pointless??

Voyage of the Damned... not bad. Not awesome, but fun in places and quite exciting. Nice twist to kill off Astrid and such, more angst for David to do his square-jawed broody face in relation to, which he does so like doing. Some of the guest starts were quite fun, some weren't great, and the moment with the bad HRH impersonator saying "thankyou, merry Christmas Doctor" after the ship didn't quite kill Buckingham Palace was totally cringeworthy.

Bernard Cribbins > *, however.

The preview for season 4 seemed to be quite a lot of running, a lot of Ood, a lot of random semi-famous British actors in 'dramatic reveal' shots, and some fire to liven it up a bit. Much Catherine Tate too, and a few shots of Freema to brighten the evening.

Two points of possible interest - David with his 'stunned, joyous' face on staring at a woman, all of whom we can see is the back of her blonde hair. Billie, perhaps, although it's not likely.

The second point of interest is Sarah Lancashire wielding a sonic screwdriver and apparently playing a chemist (holding up that pill, the clipboard, etc etc), which is a pretty good reason for people to start shouting "zOMG she's The Rani!" in loud voices.

That was quite very decent. Like just about every Russell T. episode it had moments of borderline awesome and moments that were simply painful. It was pretty much across the board "perfectly fine", I'm not going to go leaping around at how good it was, but it was far from bad. Basically, it kept me watching and interested for the seventy minutes. It was perfectly acceptable Doctor Whooing, though the added run-time won't favour giving such an episode many repeat viewings.

"No, only Britain is great......" had me in stitches, that was a great line. Tenny was good, but we all could have said that before seeing the show.

Edited by James timMAYy

That's incredibly harsh. World War 3, Love and Monsters, Fear Her, last years Christmas special and the first half of the last series ranged from being horrifically terrible to being merely bile enducing, that was far from it.

No offence taken, even if it is probably based entirely on my dislike of one half of one season of one show, which was Doctor Who series three.

But anyway, it wasn't great, I was entirely in-offended by it.

I wasn't overly impressed, but the Christmas episodes are all a bit silly and never really the best they could offer, anyway, that's never the point. We got a couple of good cheesy one-liners, a filler episode with a couple of well thought out foils for The Doctor while he broods without an assistant/companion, and the acknowledgement that Christmas never goes well for him...but it was all very Russel T. in its silliness. Certainly not one I'll be remembering in years to come (The Master last series), but also not one I'll still be angry about in years to come (The Dalek vs. Christopher Ecclestone).

The Doctor's "I should know, I was there" was charming at first, but when it's applied to EVERY historical event it gets old fast, and him applying it to Christmas tonight was vague and a little odd. That and him consistently referring to "travelling alone", when 90% of the time he doesn't...

No idea what to think of the next series; although Catherine Tate managed to annoy me in a matter of seconds, so that's not a good sign.

I thought the episode started a bit slowly, but improved to decent. I can't see how anyone can call it awful, but it was far from great too.

Generally, the 'stars' were pretty good. My main problems were with niggly bits here and there. For example, when Astrid is 'released' into the atmosphere there is zero suction in the room. Even when trying to explain it away with the Oxygen bubble thing, then the dust shouldn't have moved. (The only reason I can come up with is that they are so low in the Earth's atmosphere that that doesn't happen - but I honestly don't think that's the case).

Aaaanyways, it wasn't bad and it wasn't good. Simply, decent.

What I'm ACTUALLY interested in is what people thought of both the Who series 4 and Torchwood series 2 trailers?

There wasn't much to make of the Doctor Who trailer, it was just fast clips, but OOD! THE OOD ARE BACK~!!!

Ahem, fanboy markings done with, it was just a quick teaser clip. Last series, after a few episodes they did a "second half of the series" teaser trailer that you could get more from.

The Torchwood one didn't contain much, but it made my body hurt thinking about it coming back.