MLB Hot Stove

sahyder1

It's been a good season from start to finish but we all know the MLB season never really ends. Where does A-Rod end up? Where does Bonds go? How about Schilling? Santana? Who would you like to see your favorite team persue? As an Angels fan I really hope we add a big bat.

Source: Girardi expected to accept Yankees' offer

ESPN.com news services

Yankees Offer Managerial Job to GirardiThe Yankees officially offered their managerial job to Joe Girardi on Monday morning and he is expected to accept it, a source has told 1050 ESPN New York's Andrew Marchand.

"The Yankees have offered Joe the opportunity to become their next manager. Discussions are ongoing." Steve Mandell, Girardi's agent, said. Yankees general manager Brian Cashman told Don Mattingly and Tony Pena that they will not be getting the job.

Girardi was in Denver for the World Series. A source said he is expected to fly to New York for the announcement, which is likely to come Tuesday. Girardi's contract is expected to be in the three-year, $6 million range.

Mattingly will not accept a position on the Yankees coaching staff, Marchand and ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney are reporting.

Girardi, a former Yankees player and coach, was voted NL Manager of the Year in 2006 after keeping Florida in contention until late in the season.

Joe Girardi Biography

Name: Joe Girardi

Managing background: One season with Florida Marlins, who were 78-84. Named 2006 National League manager of year.

Playing career: Spent parts of 15 seasons in majors with Chicago Cubs, Colorado, St. Louis and New York Yankees. Won three World Series titles with Yankees (1996, 1998-99). He hit .267 and had 1,100 career hits in 1,277 career games. Retired in 2002.

Personal: Married to Kim with three children. Graduate of Northwestern University with a bachelor's degree in Industrial Engineering. Three-time academic All-American.

Girardi, working as a broadcaster Sunday night for Fox Sports from the World Series in Denver, said he had nothing to announce regarding his status as a manager.

"Still former," Girardi said. "Nothing extra tonight."

Girardi was the first to interview Monday, followed by Mattingly on Tuesday and Pena on Wednesday. Pena won AL Manager of the Year in 2003 after the Kansas City Royals (83-79) posted their first winning season since 1994 -- Hank Steinbrenner told The Times that Pena was "definitely under consideration."

Mattingly has no managerial experience. He spent three seasons as New York's hitting coach before he became Joe Torre's bench coach last year. A six-time All-Star, Mattingly is among the most beloved players in Yankees history.

Torre declined a one-year offer to return at a reduced salary after leading the team to four World Series championships and 12 playoff appearances in as many seasons.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Edited by sahyder1

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the egos are gone though. A-Rod's out, Sheffield's no longer around. I doubt Abreu's gonna be sticking around either. This is a new team filled with a (hopefully) lot of youngsters in the future. Girardi's the perfect guy to mold these guys, especially if he has the confidence from ownership, which I think is true.

I got a PM from you about a "Topic Title Request", sahyder, but your inbox is full and I can't get back in touch with you. I'm assuming you'd like the title changed, but you also didn't tell me what you wanted it changed to, if that was the case.

Needless to say, while I know you want me to do something here, I'm not exactly sure what it is you want me to do.

I got a PM from you about a "Topic Title Request", sahyder, but your inbox is full and I can't get back in touch with you. I'm assuming you'd like the title changed, but you also didn't tell me what you wanted it changed to, if that was the case.

Needless to say, while I know you want me to do something here, I'm not exactly sure what it is you want me to do.

Tigers acquire SS Renteria from Braves

DETROIT - The Detroit Tigers addressed one of their biggest needs Monday, acquiring shortstop Edgar Renteria from the Atlanta Braves for two prospects.

Renteria batted .332 in 124 games with the Braves this year, finishing with 12 homers and 57 RBIs. Detroit went into the offseason needing to add a shortstop after deciding to shift Carlos Guillen to first base.

The Tigers gave up right-hander Jair Jurrjens, who showed signs of promise last season, and minor league outfielder Gorkys Hernandez.

"We are excited to add an All-Star-caliber shortstop in Edgar Renteria to the Tigers organization," Detroit president and general manager Dave Dombrowski said in a statement. "Edgar is a quality player, proven winner and tremendous leader that solidifies our infield."

It was the first major trade for new Braves GM Frank Wren, who took over when John Schuerholz stepped aside this month to become team president.

Renteria, a five-time All-Star, has a .291 career batting average over 12 seasons. The deal reunites him with Detroit manager Jim Leyland, who was in charge when Renteria and the Marlins won the World Series in 1997.

"Edgar is a premier major league player that is a great fit for our club," Leyland said. "I have a great history with him and I'm looking forward to being reunited with him."

Jurrjens started seven games for the Tigers this year, going 3-1 record and 4.70 ERA. Hernandez batted .293 with four homers and 50 RBIs for Single-A West Michigan this season.

I dunno, I think that it adds another piece to the Tigers that they need. Having Guillen at first and Renteria should be a good combination I think, no matter how much it cost them. The Tigers have plenty of prospects anyway.

As for my team, I'd like to see the Cubs add another good pitcher. Lilly and Zambrano are both excellent, but Marquis and Hill were inconsistent. There is a chance that Prior could come back and be decent, but I've learned not to depend on him. The Cubs would be best off trying to get another strong arm, I think. After all, pitching wins championships.

They need an every-day right fielder or center fielder, too. Jacque Jones can (unfortunately) fill one of those spots I suppose, and although I'd love to see Felix Pie fulfill his potential in center field, I think he still needs some time. We need a strong bat out there in right.

Yunel Escobar's emergence at SS for Atlanta made the banged up Renteria expendable. Not only that, they got two high quality prospects for him. Jair Jurrjens could be in Atlanta's rotation next year and Gorkys Hernandez could fill the void (not power-wise though) in center field filled by the expected departure of Andruw Jones either at the end of this season or next year.

As for Joe Torre possibly to the Dodgers, I am all for it. If A-Rod tagged along as well, I'd be cool with it but he better step his game up if LA is going to be a serious contender...something I've been waiting for for quite a long time.

The Sports Network

10/30/2007 7:38:51 PM

Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Los Angeles Dodgers manager Grady Little has resigned.

Little said he was thinking about the resignation during the season and finally told general manager Ned Colletti on Tuesday.

"It was a combination of a lot of reasons, and that's all I'll say about that," said Little during a conference call on Tuesday.

Little led the Dodgers to an 82-80 record this past season. In two years with the club, he went 170-154, losing in a sweep to the New York Mets in the NLDS in 2006.

Little, who was under contract for the 2008 season with a club option for 2009, earlier this year called 2007 the toughest year of his career because of bickering between the team's veteran and young players. He said on Tuesday that was not the reason he resigned.

The resignation comes amid reports that the Dodgers are in negotiations with former Yankees manager Joe Torre, 67, to become the club's new skipper. The Journal-News of Westchester, New York, citing two sources close to the situation, broke the news on Tuesday.

Don Mattingly, who was one of the three finalists for the vacant Yankees job, is expected to join Torre in Los Angeles as his bench coach.