MLB Hot Stove

sahyder1

According to today's Toronto Sun, Josh Towers will stick around with the Jays to compete for the #5 slot next season. This is a move more based around economics, as the free agent market this year isn't going to field anyone better than Towers for the same price tag. I like Towers, but I don't think that he's going to improve as long as he's coached by Gibbons. Competing with Gustavo Chacin, Jesse Litch and Casey Janssen, I can't help but figure one of those guys will up him for the final slot. Maybe he'll blossom in the bullpen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one's said much about the Santana talk.

Latest is the Yankees are basically talking themselves out of the deal, with their self imposed deadline passing last night. Apparently last night the Twins requested Jon Lester's medical records for review, so it appears as if the Red Sox have a good chance of pulling off the deal.

And thus another team in Boston moves to ridiculous levels, this time I actually like them though so its all good. (Y)

Of course I think Boston should have to give the state of Minnesota some form of reimbursement, given that they've taken one of the best football players to ever play there in Moss, the best basketball player to ever play there and now it looks like they might bag one of the best pitchers to ever play in Minnesota.

12:50 p.m., from Peter Gammons

• The Twins and Red Sox are supposed to meet this afternoon to continue discussions on the Johan Santana deal. Sources indicate the Twins are still trying to decide between a 3-for-1 trade for center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury, infielder Jed Lowrie and pitching prospect Justin Masterson and a 4-for-1 swap that substitutes lefty starter Jon Lester and center fielder Coco Crisp for Ellsbury

I like the Lester/Crisp deal much better. I really like Lester, he's going to be fantastic wherever he goes but Ellsbury is going to be a superstar and in the outfield for another decade. Plus the fact is that we have enough pitching as it is. If they trade Ellsbury we'll have Santana, Beckett, Matsuzaka, Lester, Wakefield, Shilling and Buchholz. Even if you put Wakefield in the bullpen you still have 6 guys. If you trade Lester, and put Wakefield in the bullpen, the staff will be set up as

1a. Santana

1b. Beckett

3. Shilling

4. Matsuzaka

5. Buchholz

That is a ridiculous lineup right there. Matsuzaka, who we payed a crazy amount of cash to, would be the number four pitcher!

The Cabrera deal is done.....

6:20 p.m., from Peter Gammons

• The Tigers have won the Miguel Cabrera sweepstakes. Detroit will get Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis from Florida for six players -- Cameron Maybin, Andrew Miller, catcher Mike Rabelo and three minor league prospects.

Dontrelle Willis doesn't concern me much at all...he had a 5+ ERA in a far inferior league, he is a very overrated pitcher based on his past success...

Now Cabrera, now that is a big worry. He has already lost 15 pounds this offseason, which shows he is committed to getting in shape and will make the Tigers offense that much better.

I think that Willis is a great pickup for the Tigers. Even at his worst, he's still a competent pitcher. And when he's on? Oh man, you'd better look out. When Dontrelle Willis is at his best, he's among the most talented pitchers in the league. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him really break out into something great in Detroit, same thing with Cabrera. Cabrera could be the face of the Tigers for a really long time.

Tigers just got much much better right there. They now have a #1 starter in Willis and a stud at 3B and gave up minor leaguers for it.

I'd say #4 is more likely in this scenario, he'll definitely be behind Justin Verlander, and then I'd imagine Jeremy Bonderman and Kenny Rogers will be ahead of him. So the starting pitching staff will be Verlander, Bonderman, Rogers, Willis, and Robertson. It looks good on paper but a few things to keep in mind, Rogers is aging and coming off of an injury, and Bonderman has been prone to late season collapses. Otherwise, it should make for a good rotation.

As for our batting order? Fuck, I love it. It's going to be a lot of fun to watch, and I'm hoping it's what propels us to the World Series again.

The early story of the 08 MLB season is going to be the Red Sox starting 5 and the Tigers lineup. Barring injuries, I think they will be above and beyond the teams to beat in baseball. Yankees and Angels coming closely behind. But the Hot Stove still has a lot more to it, and anything could change.

Florida disappoints me. They are getting a new stadium and they trade away the two future stars of the NL East. Then agian they won two world sereis and traded away the entire team each time...Their owner/gm needs to go and fucking hang himself.