MLB Hot Stove

sahyder1

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The location of the stadium could have a lot to do with people coming to the games. A major reason that the Colts attendance plummetted so much in the years before they left Baltimore was because Memorial Stadium was in one of the most unsafe parts of the city. Why risk your safety to go see a bad team when you can just watch them on TV?

Sorry for the double post.

The Orioles have sent Miguel Tejada to Houston for 5 players. Of course, in typical fashion, it sounds like we got a bunch of prospects who may turn into average major leaguers as opposed to a player who, in a year or two, will have the impact that Tejada had up until last year. But given his recent decline I doubt anyone was really willing to give us much, and we wanted to dump his salary.

Hopefully the likely Bedard and Roberts trades yield some future stars.

The location of the stadium could have a lot to do with people coming to the games. A major reason that the Colts attendance plummetted so much in the years before they left Baltimore was because Memorial Stadium was in one of the most unsafe parts of the city. Why risk your safety to go see a bad team when you can just watch them on TV?

• 5 weeks later...

I was hoping that the Blue Jays would be able to make a deal to acquire Erik Bedard. Not only do I think having some Canadian talent on the team would help the team draw better and they need more solid pitching. Burnett is not the option at number two, Chacin seems to be very injury prone, and Dustin McGowan is still only a prospect (although he showed a ton of promise along with some other guys). Having Halladay and Bedard would be a big boost. With those two, plus a healthy season from Burnett, Toronto would be in a very good position.

I don't think we want to pay the price though. Alex Rios is probably are most promising player, and the team really does not want to see him go.

• 3 weeks later...

The Mets have agreed to a trade for Johan Santana. If New York can work out a contract agreement with Minnesota, the Mets will send outfielder Carlos Gomez and pitchers Phil Humber, Deolis Guerra and Kevin Mulvey to the Twins. Great trade for the Mets. Santana should put up like a 2 ERA in that stadium next year. While it is nothing close to the packages they could've had from the Red Sox or maybe even the Yanks the Twins do get Gomez who has the potential to be a 5 tool player. I've really liked what I've seen from him so far.

It seemed as it pertains to Santana when the Yankees balked on including both Hughes and Kennedy and bowed out of the sweepstakes, the Red Sox felt no real need to pursue Johan anymore. Guerra and Mulvey are top notch prospects. Humber is a 5th starter at best. I'm really surprised the Twins took Carlos Gomez over Fernando Martinez. All in all I think Johan will dominate even more in the NL and this propels the Mets to the top of the East if not the entire NL.

the Twins got raped...Gomez is overrated because he is a prospect in a NY system, Guerra is nothing special, and the other two are very far from sure things at this point. You have to wonder if Boston and the Yankees pulled their offers off and this was the best deal left for the Twins.

Sounded like the Red Sox had much better offers out, but the Twins seemed like they always wanted more, more, more. By the time the Mets came along, everyone else was ready to just let the Twins sit on him until he became a free agent. This is one of those deals where a team has to say, "Hey, at least we got something."

And I'm mega-happy that the Mets got him and not the Yankees. I get so tired of any team that can just reload every year.

As bad as the deal looks, you have to keep in mind the Twins really wanted to get him out of the AL. That also played a major role, maybe not as major as greediness did, but certainly enough to cause them to wait on getting a player who will be one of the best 10 players of the next decade.