PS3 or Xbox 360

Hewey

I'm planning on getting either a PS3 or Xbox 360. I know it's probably been asked, but which one is better? I'm looking for which one has better games, doesn't break easily (which I heard Xbox does), and overall, which one is better?

I been leaning towards the PS3 because I haven't heard anything about it breaking like the Xbox does, but Xbox sounds like it has the better games thus far. My biggest problem with the Xbox is how easily it seems to break, but is that the older versions only?

Also, which PS3 has the backwards compatibility? I heard it was only the 80GB version, but I'm not too sure,

I'd go for the Xbox 360. Great online play, cheaper than the PS3, Great games.

Most of the stuff that used to be Playstation exclusive have now seen the light and make their stuff on the Xbox. The older consoles used to break after a year or two but the newer consoles shouldn't. I've had my Xbox for over a year now and not a single problem.

MGS4 isn't hitting the shelves until Summer 2008 at the earliest and I'd be stunned if FFXIII is out before Fall 2009. God of War III has been announced for 2009 as well.

And those are literally the only major exclusives PS3 has. Yes, 360 hardware had some issues, mine died and I got it fixed and returned to me in two weeks at absolutely no cost. I hate sounding like a fanboy in these arguments, but as a supporter of Sony's consoles in the past, I see nothing that screams must-have about the PS3. The 360 has far more exclusives: Halo, Bioshock, Crackdown, Dead Rising, Mass Effect, Gears of War, Fable, Ninja Gaiden 2, Splinter Cell 5 and more I'm probably forgetting. Not to mention they have the better version of most games: Madden runs better, Guitar Hero 3 has 360-exclusive downloads, Grand Theft Auto IV has 360 exclusive content, Custom Soundtracks for Smackdown etc. I've yet to hear of a single multi-platform game that runs better on the PS3.

And even though you gotta pay $50 a year, Xbox Live is the greatest online service you're ever going to find. Not to mention you can still get a Wii and 360 for roughly the same cost as a PS3. If Sony gets their shit together and grab some exclusives, I'd be more than happy to throw down some money on the system, but right now it just seems so pointless unless you're a REALLY big fan of Metal Gear.

I thought it'd take awhile longer to get the Xbox from repair, and that was pretty much my biggest complaint about the Xbox, it breaking within a month or whatever.

The games do sound better than what's on PS3 at the moment.

Also, with PS3, does any PS2 game work for it?

Guest clintcasey

^Damnit! I almost borke my monitor over your stuppid sig!

The real problem with the Playstation 3 is that they decided to screw their developers hard. Simply put the development kits for the Playstation 3 run $10,000 per computer. The Development kits for the 360 and the Wii are in the ball park of a few hundred dollars per computer. Basically for a game developer to put a game out on Playstation 3 requires an up front investment that easily reaches around $1,000,000, not including the cost of the development computers (you can't design a game to be run on a machine that is more powerful than your development PC) before even a single line of code is written. For big time Developers the price goes even higher. For big time developers the cost goes even higher.

That is why PS3 lost a lot of Japanese Game Developers to the X-box 360 when during the last console generation the most Japanese developers would never touch the X-box.

Edited by clintcasey

Has Kingdom Hearts III been confirmed as a PS3 exclusive though? Hell, has KHIII even been confirmed, period?

I thought it'd take awhile longer to get the Xbox from repair, and that was pretty much my biggest complaint about the Xbox, it breaking within a month or whatever.

I'll tell you exactly what happened with mine. I got it in July 2006 and it worked fine until May of 2007 after I got Guitar Hero 2. It was working fine and then everything started freezing. I called Microsoft, they walked me through a troubleshooting process that did nothing and told me it needed to be repaired. They overnighted me a pre-paid box to ship the console it, they told me it would take 4-6 weeks, I got it back in two. No problems since.

about the ring of death, Xbox/Microsoft has re-done the warranty so now it is longer so thats a plus. Also, the games for the 360 imo are generally better and you can get most games that used to be PS exclusive on the360 now as well with the exception of FF, Jak/Daxter, KH, MGS, Killzone. The 360 is cheaper but it doesn't support HD DVD unless you but a separate piece while the PS3 supports Blu-ray. I would go for the 360 as the price tag isnt as steep and you can get more games for it.

Edited by aajj1144

Yeah if you want the most games NOWNOWNOW then of course 360. Afterall it's been around longer. It's got better online community too.

However in both the PS3 is catching up.

For PS3 exclusive games I found this in some forum:

Keys:

PS3 Exclusive (-)

PS3 and PC (*)

May be multi-platform (+)

Uncertain of it Development or lag of Information (^)

BOLD Titles mean recently added

Playstation 3 Exclusive Titles:

-Afrika (Confirmed)

-Angel Rings (Published by Sony)

-Eight days (SCE)

-EyeDentify (Published by Sony)

-Fifth Phantom Saga (Confirmation)

-Final Fantasy XIII (Confirmed)

-Final Fantasy Versus XIII (Confirmed)

-Folks Soul

-Formula One (Published by Sony)

-Full Auto 2: Battlelines (Confirmation)

-Genji: Days of the Blade (Confirmation)

-God of War 3

-Gradius (Confirmation)

-Grand Turismo 5 (Published by Sony)

-Grand Turismo HD (Published by Sony)

-Gretzky NHL (Published by Sony)

-Heavenly Sword (Published by Sony)

-Hot Shots Golf 5 (Published by Sony)

-Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier (Published by Sony)

-Killzone 3 (SCE)

-Lair (Confirmation)

-Little Big Planet

-Metal Gear Solid 4 (Confirmation)

-Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam World (Confirmed)

-Monster Hunter 3 (Confirmation)

-Motor Storm (Published by Sony)

-My Singstar (Published by Sony)

-Ninja Gaiden Sigma

-Ni-Oh (Information)

-Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (Published by Sony)

-Redwood Falls (Information)

-Resistance: Fall of Man (Confirmation)

-Resistance: Rise of Man

-Ridge Racer 7 (Confirmation)

-Shin Megami Tensei (Confirmation)

-Tekken 6 (Confirmed)

-The Eye of Judgment (SCE)

-The Getaway (SCE)

-Uncharted: Drake's Fortune(SCE)

-Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom (SCE)

-WarDevil Enigma (Confirmation)

-Warhawk (Published by Sony)

-White Knight Story

-Wipeout (Confirmation)

Playstation 3 PNPS Arcade:

-Flow (Confirmation)

Random Japanese Titles:

^Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu (Information)

^Generation of Chaos VI (Confirmation)

Uncertain of it Development:

^Final Fantasy VII (possibility)

^Kingdom Heart 3

^Makai Wars (possibility)

^Monster Carnival (possibility)

^Shadow of the Colossus 2 (possibility)

^Socom 4 (possibility)

^Sly 4 (possibility)

^Zone of the Enders 3

Uncertain Titles (May be multi-platform):

+Big Time Revenge (Information)

+Castlevania (Information)

+Fatal Frame (Information)

+FIA World Touring Car Championship (Information)

+Heavy Rain

^Iron and the Maiden (Information)

+L.A Noire

+Silent Hill 5 (Information)

PS3Forums Users Exclusive Titles added:

-ActiveDogs (aka Castleween 2?)

-Guan Yu (aka Dysnasty Warriors)

-Kurayami (Confirmation)

^Rengoku: The end of the Century (Information)

+Rockstar Old West (Information)

^Way of the Samurai (Information)

*SOE DC MMO (Published by Sony)

Not too bad then.

Right, everyone knows I'm a hair's breadth away from being a Sony fanboy but sometimes I'm sure Microsoft must pump subliminal messaging through the 360s to slag off the PS3 unjustly.

My reasons to get a PS3:

1. These exclusives are more exciting than most of the 360 exclusives I know about.

2. If you're got a PSP they talk to eachother - you can also download full games from the PS3 online to save onto your PSP - including Crash Bandicoot, Wipeout and so on for MINIMAL costs (£3 or so) to play. You can copy photos, music etc from one to the other.

3. You can surf the internet on your TV. You can play online for FREE (compared to £40 360 costs) and it's got built in wireless AND comes with an ethernet cable meaning you don't have to fork out £60 for a wireless adaptor.

4. The pads plug into a USB cable into the PS3 to recharge. You don't need to fork out a further £15 for a plug and charge kit.

5. If you want to play high def movies the Blu-Ray comes with. You don't have to pay £100 for a HDDVD player.

6. The PS3 is less tempramental and less likely to break. You can actually MOVE it while it plays games, it survives being knocked over, doesn't laser burn discs and you can actually have it vertical without it having a brain fart.

7. Graphically it's similar to the 360 and has only just started making use of the 1080p resolution.

What IS interesting to note though is that it's generally regarded that the 360 is easier to develop for than the PS3 and while the PS3 DOES have a greater processing and graphical power available to it, it's more complicated and expensive to actually use it meaning that while the creme de la creme of PS3 games will be better than creme 360, the "average/good" games will tend to have the edge on the 360.

So while I'd go for PS3 (and have done VERY happily) I can see why people prefer 360 although I do get annoyed when people do the whole "360 mate, PS3 is s**t"...Cos it clearly isn't. The consoles are often too close to call and each enjoy advantages over the other in certain aspects.

If you want to watch movies, have a PSP, enjoy the internet, music, images etc etc as well as playing games then it's PS3 all the way. It also works out a lot cheaper if you're gonna do all that anyway.

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

I've given my opinion on this subject many times before, and most of it's been covered here so all I'll say is in response to Zero, MWAHA. Guitar Hero III DLC is now available for the PS3. I've said it for a while now, and thanks to shit like this, and Shivering Isles coming to PS3, I'll put money on the GTA content coming to PS3 as well.

The real problem with the Playstation 3 is that they decided to screw their developers hard. Simply put the development kits for the Playstation 3 run $10,000 per computer. The Development kits for the 360 and the Wii are in the ball park of a few hundred dollars per computer. Basically for a game developer to put a game out on Playstation 3 requires an up front investment that easily reaches around $1,000,000, not including the cost of the development computers (you can't design a game to be run on a machine that is more powerful than your development PC) before even a single line of code is written. For big time Developers the price goes even higher. For big time developers the cost goes even higher.

Apparently not:

"As for the rumor that it costs a lot more to work on the PS3, well, it's still true, but not a major hike in price due to Ubisoft's complete cross-platform engine thingy. "What we do now is create for the PS3 and 360 at the same time, and it doesn't cost more than 10 per cent extra to develop for the other machine ... Before it was costing us more, about 20 per cent, just because it was difficult to learn the PS3 hardware, but now our engines are done and we can easily develop for both machines.""

I think the same was said about the PS2 being terribly difficult to program for, it's just natural that there's going to be some obstacles to overcome, but to blow it out of proportion like that is amusing.

Edited by Kaney Almeida

It's called wishful thinking Zero, don't shatter my dreams >_>

But yeah, new update just came out and I was really surprised to see those songs made available. I just think there's a bit too much stock put into the word exclusive nowadays, considering how many games in the past were labelled exclusive like Splinter Cell on the original XBox, or MGS for PS2 or whatever, that were eventually ported to the other system, so I'd prefer to just wait and see rather than take it for granted.

Get a 360.

If you're looking for games here and now that are fantastic, get a 360.

However if you're looking to the future so to speak, I'd say the PS3. LittleBigPlanet, Metal Gear Solid 4, God of War III, new Final Fantasy games, Infamous along Naughty Dog and Insomniac (current and future) games and the possibility of Kingdom Hearts are all why I wanted to get one (along with the supremely disappointing Lair, and phenomenal Warhawk).

However, my 360 gets used constantly. Mainly because of how many co-op games are on it along with

And when it comes to the multiplatform titles, I go 360 instantly for two reasons. Rumble and achievements. Sure, not that big a deal in the grand scheme but they're something that I enjoy that the PS3 lacks (and I refuse to buy the Dual Shock 3 on pure principle because Sony are fucking idiots). Also, with most multi-platform titles running better on the 360 it's a no brainer.

Albeit my obsession with Warhawk trumps all. But that's a completely personal preference.

What it, as it always does, comes down to is simply what do you want to play? Do Sony's exclusives do more for you than Microsoft's? Because that's what it will be in the future, the 1st parties making exclusives with everything else being multi-platform (barring Nintendo of course due to the controller).

As for the differences in the consoles... The 60Gb is the one to own as it houses the actual PS1 and PS2 component hardware. The 80Gb, aside from coming with Motorstorm and the extra 20Gb uses software emulation (much like the 360 with the Xbox). The 40Gb is stripped down though, lacking some USB and memory ports along with having no backwards compatibility whatsoever.