MyFootballClub Purchase Ebbsfleet United

Dan

Fans' community website MyFootballClub has agreed a deal to take over Blue Square Premier outfit Ebbsfleet United.

The 20,000 MyFootballClub members have each paid £35 to provide a £700,000 takeover pot and they will all own an equal share in the club. Members will have a vote on transfers as well as player selection and all major decisions.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...eet/7089473.stm

You just know now that over the next week or so that figure will double now that it's found an actual club. Before i was put off by the voting system which seemed to put leeds and notts forest at the top of the list, which is more or less impossible, but now i might actually give it a shot.

a low level club getting £700,000 a year = instant promotion

within a year or so that figure could rise to £2M and with that would come decent and experienced players

Shame it's so far from where i live :(

See, I don't like it. Them having a vote in EVERYTHING, down to team selection... they're in contention for the play-offs as it is. They have a perfectly capable manager at the moment - why do they need 20,000 to do something one man in sheepskin is capable of doing - and doing a good job at that?

I mean, the money is good for them, but just take the money. Forget the whole team selection shit.

See, I don't like it. Them having a vote in EVERYTHING, down to team selection... they're in contention for the play-offs as it is. They have a perfectly capable manager at the moment - why do they need 20,000 to do something one man in sheepskin is capable of doing - and doing a good job at that?

I mean, the money is good for them, but just take the money. Forget the whole team selection shit.

But that's the whole point in it.

We're already looking at a couple of transfer targets for January, 'tis a great idea.

A few of the guys have been talking about streaming the matches to the board members for a pound a match (to cover costs), which is also a top idea.

I don't know where you guys got the idea about him being annoyed at it. The article I read on the BBC basically said he had some praise for some parts of it, but was generally sceptical about it because as a chairman himself he knows how decisions have to be made very quickly sometimes for the good of the team and this democracy won't be able to do that if they have to put everything to vote. You make it sound like he was in a rage at it or something.

Ian Holloway made a good point about it in his BBC article. I reprint what he said here:

It's complete madness. They've got to vote every time they pick their team - absolute load of old poppycock, that is. All you need is one leader, one songsheet and away you go.

You need to be at the coalface with the players, day-in, day-out, seeing who's in form and who's not.

You can't pick the team from a distance and have that many opinions bouncing around. It'll all end in tears.

Well done for putting your £35 up but let the manager get on with the business in hand.

Twenty thousand people running the club - that's going to have to be one hell of a room they book when they hold their annual general meeting.

Guest muddatrucker

People will stop voting the moment they realise they know fuck all about players they've never seen play.

They told me they'd approached Ebbsfleet, not been asked for the money yet, shit time of year for it too but when I do have the spare cash, I'm on board.

I'd love to just completely copy this idea without the voting thing though and buy out another team.