Rocky

Liam

Best Rocky Film?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Best Rocky is?

• Balboa

I watched Rocky Balboa for the first time yesterday, and though a bit naff in places, quite enjoyed the overall product, as is usually the case with the Rocky films and me. So, I thought I'd see what the people of EWB think is the best Rocky film?

Obviously, 5 is discounted for being the drizzling shits :shifty:

I liked them all, but I've gone for 2.

Was good to see him finally prove he could beat Apollo Creed. I think they've gone down slightly after the first 3 films, and the "second 3" so to speak were nowhere near as good as the others.

Balboa, for me, was decent enough. I half expected him to win the fight (Like I did in Rocky 1) but this time was happy to see him lose, because it seemed to keep to some sort of realism in the end.

I would say "no more Rocky films", because I think they've done enough, but given the 5% chance they do make another, I'd definitely watch it.

I gotta throw my hat in for 3. Simply put, it has Mr T, Rocky finding out he fought bums and was likely to get killed by Lang, Hulk Hogan, Micky's death, Rocky losing, Apollo Creed and the 'eye of the tiger'......it just doesn't get better. Storywise, 1 is probably the best, but for set pieces adding up to a better whole, you can't beat 3.

Rocky III is my personal favourite. The best would probably go to the first obviously, but the third is my absolute favourite.

It just feels like the culmination of the Rocky story to me. The first is a classic "David vs. Goliath" style story with a bum low life fighter taking on the World Champ, and almost coming away with the title but more importantly winning his love. The second obvious continues thematically with a rags to riches storyline along with the birth of their Adrian and Rocky's son and Rocky finally besting Apollo to prove he actually is that good.

But the third is the culmination of the themes of the first two for me... Rocky resting on his laurels and achieving success, finally at a high in his life that he never thought he'd imagine... Only to have Mickey tell him he never fought anyone of worth and only lucked out against Apollo, to then have Mickey's die and be beaten into submission by Clubber. To then grudgingly seek guidance from his former foe and learn what it means to be a true fighter, to find his Eye of the Tiger, forging a friendship from a rivalry and then to kick Lang's ass and prove once and for all that he actually is that good. Plus Hulk Hogan.

It's just an awesome movie and I love it.

The first two are tremendous as well, but I love the third.

I use to love the fourth too, "I will break you", but I grew up to realize how horrible the whole East vs. West, Soviets vs. Americans thing was. And Apollo's death really seemed like shock value for the sake of it instead of building into the story. That and I was just pissed that they killed him off. Apollo is awesome and his entrance proves it.

5 I actually don't mind, it's a flawed movie no doubt but it's not bad to mindlessly watch. Own Balboa but haven't had a chance to actually sit down and watch it yet, so I have no opinion on that.

I've always liked the first movie the best. Although I enjoy the fights and the training motages in III/IV the most, I think that the original is the best overall story out of the series. III has the sad scene where Mick dies, and IV is just awesome, but the original is the best. Rocky is probably my favorite series of all-time though, I own all of them on DVD. After watching all of them over the course of a week I've come to the conclusion that the fifth movie isn't really that bad, but it's far below the others. I'd rank them as follows...

1. Rocky

2. Rocky III

3. Rocky IV

4. Rocky II

5. Rocky Balboa

6. Rocky V

Rocky I is the best of the bunch, with Rocky III coming second, the rest are all on fairly equal footing, except V, which is horrible.

Is there something written into Sylvester Stallone's film contracts that any series has to, at some point, devolve into patriotic drivel? By which I mean both Rambo and Rocky did it :shifty: although I was half-expecting the next Rambo film to consist largely of Sly turning up in Afghanistan to say "God, you guys, I turn my back for five minutes..."

I feel ashamed that I have yet to see any Rocky movie all the way through, but this thread has motivated me to maybe check out my uni's lounge next week, during the quiet hours of Reading week they're going to be showing all the Rocky's in order for each of the days... hmm.

They are worth it. Generally good stories, and mindless fighting action, its good stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Rocky I if you you're going from a movie stand point. And stays realistic (him not winning)

Rocky II gives you the happy ending you wanted in I (though appropriate in II)

Rocky III is a much more serious movie (with Mickey dying) and it does have one of the more awkward scenes I can remember (running on the beach, going into the ocean, hugging)

Rocky IV is extremely enjoyable, a feel-good movie

Rocky V was entertaining in its own right, I'll have to watch it again at some point. Has good story development (seeing as the fight sequences I remember being minimal)

And finally Balboa comes back full circle (wonder why Sly didn't want Talia Shire in the movie, she reportedly wanted to be in it).

From a "which is the best movie in the series" I'd say 1. Maybe not the most enjoyable.