PS3 Questions

AJ

OK, so what exactly the hell is happening!?

I read today (I know, I'm behind) that they've stopped producing the 60gb model for the UK. So we're stuck with the 40gb model which I refuse to buy. So..

1. Is there going to be an 80gb model release in the UK, and if so, when and do we know a rough price estimate?

2. Or should I try and find somewhere that still has a decent 60gb offer on and snap one up before they all go?

3. Is there ANY point in all in buying the 40gb? (I have a backlog of 50 PS2 games that I do intend on replaying... some day).

More questions to follow as they come to me.

As far as I'm aware....

1) Yup, no more 60gig. There are rumours of the 80gig coming our way next year (probably with the new Dual Shock 3 controller) which will be a similar price to the 60gig model.

2) I personally like the 60gig so if you can find one, go for it. I know that our new store in Stourbridge which is opening Thursday or Friday (I was setting up there at the weekend) has a few in to sell.

3) Having said that the 40gig isn't horrible. It DOES have its downsides (no slots for memory cards for cameras etc, only 2 USB instead of 4 and of course the backwards compat thing) but hardware-wise it's pretty much the same and you'll have trouble filling up 40gig let alone 60. I've got plenty of PS2 games and rarely, if at all, seem to play them these days. It was the same with PS1 games which I swore to still play....Then got PS2 games.

Try your damnedest to get a 60 GB model if you want to play your PS2 games. The 80 GB model may be backwards compatible but it uses hardware emulation instead of the Emotion Engine like the 60 GB version. What you'll be getting with hardware emulation is backwards compatibility like the 360 has...more often than not glitchy, slowdown ridden, buggy crap.

So I'm still torn.

On one hand I don't mind holding out for the 80gb if that's definately backward compatible and (not much) more expensive than the current 60gb.

On the other hand I don't know when it's coming out or how much it'll cost. I may be tempted into panic buying a 60gb from wherever I can.

Well first of all, don't panic LOL. Second of all I'd personally advise you to go with a 60GB if you can find one. Unless you don't mind a more bare bones SKU I'd say avoid the 40GB unless you have no other options. SCEE President David Reeves said a while ago that releasing the 80GB model in Europe "wouldn't make any sense" and they likely won't release it there.

No 80GB for PAL?

So yeah...only having the 40GB model available in PAL territories? That's a bit stupid... :ohwell:

I'm sure I read somewhere that their was recently a patch put on the playstation store allowing 40gb PS3's to play PS2 games in PAL areas. I'll see if I can find it somewhere.

EDIT: I think I saw it on Wikipedia. And after looking through the playstation store and playstation 3 pages, I can't find the information again. So it probably wasn't true.

Edited by Mattman

Off topic question kinda, but i thought i'd use this thread isntead creating my own. I just ordered new phone and conveniently i'm being given a free PS3 with it. I just read up and turns out it's the 40gb model, but since i originally had no interest in getting a PS3 i have no idea how good the 40GB model is.

I'm getting it for free, so i'm not gonna complain either way, but basically, is the 40GB any good? If backwards compatibility (i have a modded PS2, so none of my games would work anyway) and a couple of GB is all i lose out on, then i'm not bothered either way, but is there anything else major i lose out on and is there no way of just getting a new hard drive to upgrade like with the 360?

You also only get 2 USB slots instead of 4 and you don't get all the little memory stick slots on the front either.

No huge loss though, although I can easily make use of four USBs.

Indeed, for the USB slots I currently have:

+ Dongle for the Guitar Hero guitar.

+ Dongle for the keypad that attatches to a pad.

+ 2 USB leads for a couple of pads to recharge from console.

+ Another USB lead for PSP connection.

+ EyeToy.

+ Singstar Mics.

+ Shorter USB lead for Warhawk bluetooth earpiece.

So I often have at least three of my four slots filled...You'll just have to be less lazy with regards to swapping them around.

Off topic question kinda, but i thought i'd use this thread isntead creating my own. I just ordered new phone and conveniently i'm being given a free PS3 with it. I just read up and turns out it's the 40gb model, but since i originally had no interest in getting a PS3 i have no idea how good the 40GB model is.

I'm getting it for free, so i'm not gonna complain either way, but basically, is the 40GB any good? If backwards compatibility (i have a modded PS2, so none of my games would work anyway) and a couple of GB is all i lose out on, then i'm not bothered either way, but is there anything else major i lose out on and is there no way of just getting a new hard drive to upgrade like with the 360?

If you're not too interested in a PS3, you could always donate/sell it to me on the cheap. <_>

I was speaking to a guy in Currys today and it seems all the 60GB PS3's have either been sold or recalled to Sony. However he was of the opinion that you could download official software onto the 40gb version from Sony to allow you to play PS2 games through emulation.

I've searched the Sony site to no avail. Anyone else find/heard anything on this?

The software emulation comes with the firmware updates. Sony used to have a site listing which PS1 and PS2 games would work with the PS3 and to what ends they would work, but they haven't updated it in quite a while. In other words, if you want to play a particular game, just pop it in and see if it works, and if it doesn't, then pop it in again when the next firmware update comes out.

This is the site with the compatibility listings. But as I said, it hasn't been updated for quite a while.

Edited by Momo

If you're not too interested in a PS3, you could always donate/sell it to me on the cheap. <_<

With Home basically you can log on.

You can create your character, appearance, clothes etc.

You also have an appartment which you can design and fill with stuff....You can put pictures on the wall which can be images you've got on your hard drive...Which is cool. You can play music in there from your hard drive...Which is cool. You can invite friends into your room to chat and listen to the music...Which is cool.

You'll be able to get upgrades for your apartment to play pool with a friend.

Otherwise you can go into the main lobby, chat in a online 3D world with other people's avatars - either voice chat, typing, body language e-motes or ready made phrases. You can go to different places in this world including a cinema (to download and watch movie and game trailers - and possibly full movies at some point), a sports hall (to play basketball shooting, pool, ten pin bowling etc with friends and randoms) and to an area to show off your game achievements and see high scores etc.

You'll also be able to meet someone in Home and enter a proper game from in there.

The stuff in this world is controlled by a "virtual PSP" which your avatar uses to place items for his house, enter areas, choose emotes etc.

Seriously it's gonna be everything those 3D internet "worlds" have always tried to be....Complete with dirty old men setting up their avatar as a teenage girl...Though as Sony can IP ban people from Home, security should be decent enough.

EDIT: Also, it's gonna be free free free to download (about 500mb apparantly) and to enter and to use. No annual fees or anything. It's gonna be about advertising and I'd imagine companies such as Nike or whatever could create an avatar clothing chain in there which you could purchase using Playstation Wallet if you so desired - but you could happily use it all for free if you wanted....You'll also be able to sell stuff for real money, such as well equipped apartments etc if you so desire and if an idiot buys it.

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster