PS3 Questions

AJ

Off topic question kinda, but i thought i'd use this thread isntead creating my own. I just ordered new phone and conveniently i'm being given a free PS3 with it. I just read up and turns out it's the 40gb model, but since i originally had no interest in getting a PS3 i have no idea how good the 40GB model is.

I'm getting it for free, so i'm not gonna complain either way, but basically, is the 40GB any good? If backwards compatibility (i have a modded PS2, so none of my games would work anyway) and a couple of GB is all i lose out on, then i'm not bothered either way, but is there anything else major i lose out on and is there no way of just getting a new hard drive to upgrade like with the 360?

If you're not too interested in a PS3, you could always donate/sell it to me on the cheap. <_<

I was speaking to a guy in Currys today and it seems all the 60GB PS3's have either been sold or recalled to Sony. However he was of the opinion that you could download official software onto the 40gb version from Sony to allow you to play PS2 games through emulation.

I've searched the Sony site to no avail. Anyone else find/heard anything on this?

I've just seen adverts for PC World as they have the 60GB back in stock. Unfortunately they're only available for store pick up and there's none in stock near where I am.

Just as well because I would be very tempted to get one despite the rather crappy package (1 controller, 3 games: SDvsRAW, Ridge Racer & Resistance for £380).

I will fight the urge to drive down the country for one and just bide my time until the 80gb arrives (if at all).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, it's me again. Mr. Buyer's Remorse.

I'm on the verge of just biting the bullet and buying a 40gb model as I've come to terms with the fact that if I really want to play old games (which I probably won't) I'll just use the old PS2.

Does anyone know of any news in relation to the 80gb?

The only thing I can find that's been recent news is this: http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.pht...urope-500.phtml which I find odd as it mentions that the 60gb is still on sale, and discontinuation hasn't been confirmed, and that the 80gb isn't due out til the end of 2008.

Other than that, all the 40gb bundles on the high street are shite. So I made my own up on Amazon, does this seem reasonable?

40GB PS3

FIFA 08

NBA 2K8

+ Extra Sony Sixaxis Controller

+ Free HDMI Cable

+ Express Delivery

£361.93

That offer seems fairly reasonable. Sepearately you'd be looking at £40 for each game, £30 for the controller and £10 for the HDMI cable.

You can go to a lot of shops and get a PS3 and 2 games for £300. I got my HDMI cable and extra controller in a bundle from Argos with a Blu-Ray remote and a PS3 stand thrown in for £40. Its £20 more then getting 2 games, a PS3, a cable and an extra controller at most other stores. But if you think its worth that little bit more for games you think are better then go for it.

Well that isn't a bundle. That IS seperately. The only offer I'm getting there is the free HDMI cable.

Those two games are ones I actually want, as opposed to the two I wouldn't want that I'd get at £300. Even then I'd have to shell out more cash seperately for a HDMI cable and an extra controller.

I'm still in two minds whether or not to pull the trigger or hang fire and see what happens with the 80gb release, if anything.

Help!

I get what you meant about the bundle now.

Just go for it. The 80gb won't be out for a long time and the 40gb doesn't have enough memory to be able to download without feeling as though you have to ration how much you have store and of course playing the PS2 games.

60gb is enough memory wise and the 80gb isn't (or they haven't said its going to) have any extra features. So the main difference between getting one now or later is that they'll be a much bigger games library to choose from.

Fuck express delivery. I find it's a load of shit.

Go for it, and pay for normal delivery - You'll get it at the same time you would have for express, anyway...especially at this time of year.

Well you were right there.

I paid the 8.99 for express delivery. My games, controller and HDMI cable arrived at 11am yesterday and my console is nowhere to be seen. After much faffing and many phone calls I got my 8.99 refunded but I'm not gonna get the ps3 til Monday morning now =(

I'd rather it were the other way around so at least I could be setting the thing up and signing up online, maybe downloading some demos. Rather than staring at a couple games I can't play for 3 days.

Anyways, fingers crossed I should be playing NBA and FIFA online in HD come Monday.

• 2 weeks later...