Future Masterpieces: Currently Misunderstood

Laice07

Yesterday, after watching my favorite film of 2006, Children of Men, I thought that this film like Bladerunner will become a future sci-fi maserpiece, even though it did not fare well in the Box Office. What are some films you think are not very well liked now by the masses (can be in terms of bad box office performance or critics reviews that will one day be considered masterpieces? On the other hand which films are already considered masterpieces in this decade?

Blade Runner and 2001: A Space Odyssey weren't extremely well liked upon initial release and I don't think It's a Wonderful Life was either.

Those are three beloved films now.

So, which movies will they be?

In 2007 alone, which IMO has been the greatest year in film this decade so far, there are a number of films:

Zodiac (poor B.O.)

The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward (Mixed Reviews)

No Country for Old Men (A masterpiece already, and will stay that way for the future)

There Will Be Blood

Death Proof (Poor Box Office)

Sweeney Todd (Poor Box Office compared to Dreamgirls and Hairspray)

Ratatouille (I can't say enough of how great this film is, animated or not, and just like the Toy Story films and Finding Nemo of Pixar animation studios, it will go down as one of the greatest animated films)

I also think The New World will also become a masterpiece and be appreciated more.

What do you guys and gals think?

Critters 3

I'm with you on Death Proof... hopefully they'll get around to releasing Planet Terror and Death Proof together in a DVD collection so Grindhouse can be viewed the way it was meant to. Yes, I understand that old school Double Feature movies were released separately on home video, but the whole point of Grindhouse was an homage to the experience of watching a sleazy double feature. That needs to be capitalized on in the home market.

Not sure if you can call No Country for Old Men currently misunderstood. Some people didn't get it, but the movie is already considered a box office success and it is a huge hit with critics.

One I'm hoping gets a lot of love in the future is The Prestige. Nobody ever talks about that movie and in my opinion, it was the best film of 06.

The Prestige is indeed great. Sweeny Todd is the best movie I've seen all year. (granted, it's also the only movie I've seen all year, but still, it was badass) I didn't think Zodiac was all that good. I certainly can't see it ever being held on the same level as, say, It's A Wonderful Life.

I don't know if you can say There Will Be Blood is one yet, seeing that the movie is just starting its release pattern.

As for recent "in this decade" releases, I still think Serenity is an amazing achievement for what it was. The Prestige was amazing as well.

Rob Zombie's Halloween. I know it had it's flaws, but I personally think it'll go down in history as one of the most memorable horror movies of this decade, and quite possibly the best post-The Fly horror movie remake.

The Devil's Rejects, too, now that I'm thinking about it.

Edited by The Rated-R Superstar

I'm with you on Death Proof... hopefully they'll get around to releasing Planet Terror and Death Proof together in a DVD collection so Grindhouse can be viewed the way it was meant to. Yes, I understand that old school Double Feature movies were released separately on home video, but the whole point of Grindhouse was an homage to the experience of watching a sleazy double feature. That needs to be capitalized on in the home market.
Edited by Laice07

I was actually going to say, I felt Zodiac was kind of similar in a lot of ways to Se7en but was nowhere near as good as a complete package. Granted, I've only seen Zodiac once, and I don't like to pass too much judgment on a movie until I've at least had a chance to sit down and watch it a second time, but... yeah, I never really thought it stood out as a classic or anything.

On repeat viewings I think the Pinbacker skew actually ADDS to the movie rather than taking it away. Taking it out of beautifully stunning navel gazing to a near drug-induced pastiche on space horror. The stuff he says is interesting, if not a little cliche. First time around at the cinema I wasn't sooo sure (after beforehand witnessing over an hour of perhaps the most beautifully made movie I've seen in years and years) but he has his place in the piece certainly.

Death Proof/Planet Terror (or Grindhouse) I can see becoming more of a cult classic in the future.

From 2007, I think No Country For Old Men and Zodiac will be considered classics. I wasn't expect much from Zodiac, to be honest, as I hadn't heard anything about it before I watched it. It was wonderful.

For for films that came out in the recent years, I would mention The Devil's Rejects (in my opinion the best horror film from 2001 to now). Ginger Snaps is probably destined to be a cult classic, it's my favourite horror film of the last decade or two.

Pan's Labyrinth and Oldboy are both near-perfect masterpieces that will more-than-likely go down in history.

I'm gonna hold strong on Southland Tales. I loved this movie so much. I've read the comics so I knew what was happening but even then just the way the movie looks and the way it moves. Something about it was just so hypnotic that I don't care if it made sense or not, I just want to keep watching.

And I don't consider a movie just not doing well at the Box Office meaning that it's not a misunderstood masterpiece. When you look at Blade Runner that was a movie most critics hated. Same with 2001. That I think is what makes a misunderstood masterpeice, if the Box office is bad the critics don't like it but then 20 years later it's recognized as a masterpiece.

Edited by Pepsi

Good God, I can't believe Ratatouille got a positive mention there. Couldn't stand it when I saw it, don't know too many others who could either if i'm honest.

I'm not sure if Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was mentioned, and i don't know of it's box office figures (although i'm sure they arent that great), but it's really a fantastic film. Brilliant cast (Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, Mark Ruffalo, Elijah Wood, Kirsten Dunst, Tom Wilkinson). All of them gave great performances and in my opinon it is Jim Carrey's best by some way. The directing was better still, so many great scenes. The main one that stands out is the scene in the library, where the writing is disappearing off the books and labels... visually it's just haunting. Superb.

I also agree with those that mentioned The Prestige. I saw it a few days ago for the first time and really, really enjoyed it. All i'd heard before hand was, "it's better than The Illusionist" (which I also haven't seen). I loved how, in The Prestige, the story jumped between time periods. It was pretty seamless too, I managed to keep up with it anyway.

Kingdom of Heaven would be, in my view, one of the 'misunderstood' films, if you watch the full extended cut it becomes an entirely different movie and instead of being an enjoyable sword and sandals flick with no heavy leanings towards anything in particular to an epic extravagant tale of bizzare kings and religious imagery.

I didn't like Kingdom of Heaven when I saw it in the theaters. but then I got to see Ridley Scott's Director's Cut and loved it. You think after Blade Runner they'd realize giving him final cut usually works out for the better but apparently not. The 3 hour Kingdom of Heaven was Best Picture material.

Zodiac is my pick for best film of 2007. It had my attention from start to finish despite it's length, and it scared me more then any slasher film or suspense film has in years. I think everyone involved in that movie was on their game, from the writing to the directing, cinematography to acting and casting. It's such an interesting topic, and the movie does it justice.

And although not as much as Zodiac, I think The Prestige is a movie people will come to appreciate later on. Good sadistic twist ending, and it had David Bowie.

I didn't like Kingdom of Heaven when I saw it in the theaters. but then I got to see Ridley Scott's Director's Cut and loved it. You think after Blade Runner they'd realize giving him final cut usually works out for the better but apparently not. The 3 hour Kingdom of Heaven was Best Picture material.

Exactly, it's an absolute travesty the amount they cut, and more to the point, what they cut.