YI And His Special Music Corner

YI

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Help me find some really good Acoustic artists.

I'm in the mood for acoustic music.

I've also just fallen in love with 'Everything In Transit' By Jacks Mannequin, my favorite tracks being 'You can Breathe' 'Bruised' and 'The Mixed Tape'

Edited by regia

Balloons is on. Hummer is a special track on some versions I think, they left Mathletics off too. They say they've done them, and they don't wanna 'rely' on them or anything, there just going to keep with the new.

I think Olympic Airways has to be one of my favourite songs on that album though. It's quality. Whole album is.

Acoustic stuff;

"Broken With No Hope" by Mike Hale (Best album I've heard this year)

ANDREW JACKSON JIHAD!!!

+

Erik Mongrain

Chuck Ragan

Jose Gonzalez ("Veneer" = amazing)

Sundowner

Frank Turner

Attica! Attica!

Joey Cape

Iron & Wine

Ben Gibbard (acoustic shows)

The New Amsterdams

Bright Eyes

Bah...I should know more.

Mike Hale is a DEFINATE download though. You must get it. Same with "People Who Can Eat People Are the Luckiest People in the World" by Andrew Jackson Jihad.

Edited by YI

Mike Hale is a DEFINATE download though. You must get it. Same with "People Who Can Eat People Are the Luckiest People in the World" by Andrew Jackson Jihad.

I attempted to find the album, but to no avail.

I did however find a song by him called 'Leatherface Fan' which i thought was rather good

Come Clarity is a great album, not heard much else though, and to be honest, I'm not that fussed about the new album.

Also, finally got round to Brain Thrust Mastery, and I'm disappointed. It's not bad, but it's not what I want to hear from WAS, I like the rocky, party, indie-dance vibe of the first album (which also has far superior artwork, cats = genius), and the closest you get to that is Chick Lit, which is a great song, but it's the only one on the album I can see myself listening to more than once or twice.

DON'T TELL ME!!! TELL MY GHOST!!! COS I BLAME HIM FOR ALL I DON'T WANT TO KNOW!!!

Thoughts on In Flames.

Last night I was incredibly underwhelmed. But giving it a listen this morning, blasting it from speakers as apposed to headphones, I think it sounds a hell of a lot better. "The Chosen Pessimist" is so fucking bad it can give you cancer, I'm sure. But the rest of it ranges from solid to great. "Alias", which might get shit on by a lot of fans, is a fucking awesome slow styled song with a fair bit of clean vocals, that makes you just want to rock the fuck out, it's brilliant. Following that is "I'm The Highway", with such a catchy, incredible riff. Personally, I find after the cancer giving track 8, the last 4 tunes on the album are probably four of the strongest on here. "Sober And Irrelevant" is great, "March To The Shore" is insane, with a big 'anthematic' style ending. "Comdemned" and "Drenched In Fear" are both awesome too.

However...I still can't shake the fact that "Eraser" and "Tilt" from "The Mirror's Truth EP" are actually the two best songs recorded in these sessions, and it's a fucking shame they didn't make the album......although they do feel slightly different/catchier than the stuff on the album.

FREE TUNES!!! (x2)

INTO IT. OVER IT! - http://www.intoitoverit.com/

Amazing stuff. Basically, it's the singer from "The Progress" who are a good indie-emo band in similar vain to Sunny Day Real Estate, Say Anything and all that. The "Into It. Over It" project sees him release a new song, for free, every week for an entire year. He's put out 25 songs as of now, I've brought him up before, but I'm bringing him up again as the last few songs have been amazing. This matieral fluctuates from Death Cab For Cutie style stuff to heavier stuff that reminds me of the likes of The Get Up Kids.

Here's a few of my favourites;

Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start - http://worstbandnameever.com/

Terrible band name, which they acknowledge with their debut full-length "Worst Band Name Ever", which was a really good album. I just realised that on that site they give away a fair amount of their EP and demo stuff on this site. Haven't checked anything out yet, but they're a real good indie/emo style band.

How fucking good are Hercules And Love Affair? I wasn't too sure at first, but picked up the album today, and "Hercules' Theme" is some quality funky disco tune-age, definitely getting an airing at my DJ slot next month. All in all, brilliant, and Antony singing disco shouldn't work nearly as well as it does, as other than his song with My Robot Friend, he doesn't seem to be very good at singing anything that differentiates from the pace and feel of Antony & The Johnsons all that much, but he's quality on this album. Like it so far, despite the bizarre good/bad band name. "You Belong" is a bit too early '90s dance-pop, though. Yuck.

Also, I got an album by Retribution Gospel Choir today, which is a band featuring a member of Low, and produced by Mark Kozelek. Not had chance to listen to it yet. Anyone have a clue about it?

How fucking good are Hercules And Love Affair? I wasn't too sure at first, but picked up the album today, and "Hercules' Theme" is some quality funky disco tune-age, definitely getting an airing at my DJ slot next month. All in all, brilliant, and Antony singing disco shouldn't work nearly as well as it does, as other than his song with My Robot Friend, he doesn't seem to be very good at singing anything that differentiates from the pace and feel of Antony & The Johnsons all that much, but he's quality on this album. Like it so far, despite the bizarre good/bad band name. "You Belong" is a bit too early '90s dance-pop, though. Yuck.

Basically there's 4 minutes of build. An amazing bass riff, a real cool drum groove, and it begins to build up. Some guitar disortion, piano, glockenspiel until the 4:30 mark where it 'fades' and Ben Gibbard chimes in. It's definately 'different'. Not particuarly like anything the band have ever written before. I must admit, I don't think it's particuarly that great of a choice for single, as it's not opvertly 'catchy' like say "Soul Meets Body" or "The Sound Of Settling", but it is a great song, where they've tried something new. I'm not as blown away by it as other people seem to be, but it's a solid song, and I'm hoping for better from the album. I'm still incredibly stoked for it, if only for "Cath".

Edited by YI